“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01/2/2017 6:24 am  #1

Old Photograph 1958/ 59.

01/2/2017 9:04 am  #2

Re: Old Photograph 1958/ 59.

Look at the gentleman leaning up against the perimeter fence half way between the edge of the six yard box and the penalty box in the light coloured jacket and black trousers. He is engrossed in the game oblivious of the fact the bloke walking away behind him towards the goal has pinched the rolled up Persian rug he had under his arm. That's Mitcham for you !

01/2/2017 9:10 am  #3

I think they should bring back demob suits for Bog End supporters.

01/2/2017 2:18 pm  #4

Blimey how times change, people wearing caps, people wearing suits, nobody eating chips, no bloke trying to pull the goalies shorts down, and it hasn't got KNK written everywhere 

On a more serious note - thanks so much for posting that one.....I never got to see Sandy Lane in the flesh but this is the best photo I've seen yet.  One thing I've always wondered, was the stand THAT big, or is it an optical illusion where it takes up the width of photos?  It looks massive......

The 15 year anniversary in April of Sandy Lane, discussed with a few Bog Enders that a nod to this in the pub might take place.......  

1956/1957 season to 2016/2017 season - 60 years of T&M in the Isthmian League, and League Champions

01/2/2017 4:13 pm  #5

It really was an impressive structure mate and on the odd occasion the Bog End choir was forced to take refuge in it due to inclement weather we didn't half make a din as the noise would reverberate around the roof, no need for some pillock with a traffic cone to amplify the volume 

01/2/2017 4:43 pm  #6

Bog End Ultra wrote:

the Bog End choir was forced to take refuge in it due to inclement weather

That leads me to my next question - on a 1953 map, the above photo and Google Earth (2003 was the nearest date I could find) it appears there was no cover at either end of the pitch - is that right?  Being a regular Bog-Ender in those days looks a more hardy existence than these days.......

Plus, looking at the 1953 map, it appears where our current pitch is, was a tennis court complete with pavillion and 'cottage'.......how quaint 

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.3938&lon=-0.1725&layers=173&b=1

Last edited by Plumpton (01/2/2017 4:52 pm)

1956/1957 season to 2016/2017 season - 60 years of T&M in the Isthmian League, and League Champions

01/2/2017 5:10 pm  #7

No cover at either end.  Even the fabled bog at the bog end didn't have a roof!  In particularly stormy weather conditions there would often be a rush to the safety of the stand.  But I also remember having to pay an extra 5p to be allowed to sit in the stand.  And I'm pretty sure that you could also hire cushions as well.

01/2/2017 8:39 pm  #8

Your`e right about the cushion Endo, personally I could neither afford the luxury of a seat in the stand or a cushion, plus I had a thing for a girl in the "T" bar so for 90minutes I could gawp!

01/2/2017 8:57 pm  #9

Blimey......sounds like a right old atmosphere down at T&M in the old stadium.  Looking at that 2002 thing, seems it was the 20th April vs Wealdstone.  The nearest home fixture for us this year is on the 17th, Tuesday night game against Carshalton.  The actual nearest game (and last league match of the season) is away at Dorking 

Either way I reckon the anniversary will be celebrated somehow........

02/2/2017 10:54 am  #10

alanj wrote:

personally I could neither afford the luxury of a seat in the stand or a cushion

Stone me ! What a rags to riches story this is.

02/2/2017 11:44 am  #11

Spectators looked smart because they'd probably come back from work. In those days many people, me included worked on Saturday mornings.
I used to really look forward to the Possibles v Probables fixture which had the first team attack against the first team defence and the reserve team attack against the reserve team defence. After this game the league season started. We didn't have the number of pre-season fixtures we have now, just the one game. In the early 60s we started to arrange prestigious friendlies. I remember the German team Lohberg playing at Sandy Lane and then matches with First Division reserve sides.
Also there was very little football on TV in the late 50s so people supported their local team. Hence the crowds we used to enjoy. Great days.

02/2/2017 1:35 pm  #12

Two shillings did not buy much in those days Cricket, especially taking into account my one penny cigs from Marys on Western road.

02/2/2017 3:51 pm  #13

alanj wrote:

Two shillings did not buy much in those days Cricket, especially taking into account my one penny cigs from Marys on Western road.

Now you put it like that, it makes sense.  I have to admit I did chuckle at Bogg's post earlier.......

Apart from the tea bar, I take it there was a club bar as well?  If it fitted in with the rest of the ground, I can imagine that being an atmospheric old place as well....... 

02/2/2017 4:43 pm  #14

There were at least 2 tea bars that I remember.  The small black building in the top right, and a smaller tea bar (that sold square sausages) approximately behind the photographer.  The club bar was under the left hand side of the main stand and there was a smaller "players bar" towards the middle.

Although there looks to be windows all along there, I don't remember being able to watch the game from inside.

02/2/2017 5:22 pm  #15

When I first went there, probably 1974, there was, I think, a club shop at the Sandy Lane end that had a large quantity of league programs on sale. My brother and I bought loads of them to read. It was a magical time. My hero was Alan Ives who I was lucky enough to meet by accident whilst out walking in South Croydon last year. I did not recognise him and he only revealed himself after our conversation got onto football and I said that I followed Tooting and he said, "I used to play for them!" I was knocked out!

02/2/2017 9:30 pm  #16

Back in i think it was the eighties, I was asked to tender for renovating the main bar and when the enquiry, that came from Courages who were one of my biggest clients at the time, arrived in my office, i just could not believe my luck.
On the day of the meeting i had made up my mind this was one project i really wanted, for obvious reasons, i can not remember the people who were there from Tooting to discuss the project, but i do remember it did not go ahead, not by my company or any other.
You are right Endo, the windows in the bar would have been too high to just stand and watch a game if my memory serves me correctly.
That big clock you talk about Gary, i assume you are talking about the one above the tunnel, i was offered it by one of the female members at Imperial Fields and i offered to buy it for the club and to have placed somewhere as a memento of those days at, what to us old codgers, will always be looked upon as our home needless to say the offer fell on deaf ears.

Last edited by alanj (02/2/2017 9:31 pm)

03/2/2017 12:32 pm  #17

I tend to forget how old I am and not realise that there are Terrors supporters who never set foot in Sandy Lane.Those supporters might not know that I wrote and published in 1992 a book titled " Tooting on the Move - A Farewell to Sandy Lane ". Lots of history, memories and photos ( including The Bog End and even one of the exterior of the Bog itself ). I sold 550 copies. Unfortunately now out of print but there is a copy in the Boardroom and, if you are really keen, a copy for sale on Amazon for £24-95 !

03/2/2017 12:37 pm  #18

I think I can remember staying on at Sandy Lane after the main match and watching our 3rd team play (against teams like Frinton Rovers)  Would that have been in the fifties?

03/2/2017 2:30 pm  #19

jeffb wrote:

if you are really keen, a copy for sale on Amazon for £24-95 !

I've just ordered it Jeff, it is going to be delivered between Feb 9th and Feb 21st. I trust you will sign it for me when it arrives ?

03/2/2017 2:58 pm  #20

One of my greatest regrets never going in sandy lane, yet walked past there hundreds of time when I worked for Halfords.

03/2/2017 9:12 pm  #21

My recollection of Sandy Lane from the mid 70's was that, apart from the big cup games, league game attendances were not that great, 300-400 maybe, and there was no Bog End choir either. I think the atmos is better now than it was then.

03/2/2017 11:48 pm  #22

Bog End Ultra wrote:

I've just ordered it Jeff, it is going to be delivered between Feb 9th and Feb 21st. I trust you will sign it for me when it arrives ?

Boggs did you order the last one? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tooting-Move-Farewell-Mitcham-United/dp/0954304209/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486165637&sr=1-1

06/2/2017 1:12 pm  #23

Arrived this morning That was quick, I only ordered it on Friday. I think I must've got the last one Plumps cos I just checked on Amazon and it's saying 'currently unavailable'.

Jeffb, are you going to the Sittingbourne game on Saturday ? If you are, would you be so kind as to sign my copy given that I've just paid about 4 times the original price Just had a quick flick through it and it looks like a masterpiece.

06/2/2017 2:50 pm  #24

Gary, I understand  and from a couple of years ago there were several enquiries at Merton library about the purchase of this publication. They hold a copy at the library for you to review. The author of the book may have a few copies, you would have to  contact the club to find out.  The cost of reprinting the book may prove expensive, and at minimum you would have to  print at least 100 copies to  keep  costs down.

06/2/2017 3:38 pm  #25

gary walker wrote:

I didn't know this was out there although I think Stan mentioned something about it several years ago. If anyone else hears of a copy for sale please let me know .

I've been flicking through it at work today Gary, you'd love it. It's got loads of great photos and is full of interesting facts....for instance did you know that in 1932/33 we beat Shepherd's Bush 9-1 ! although having said that it should be remembered people from that particular part of London aren't very good at football......are they Emmy ?

Board footera