“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/8/2013 3:06 pm  #1

Herne Bay Rain and Reality Check

After the display last Saturday on the Kent Coast, and the heavy rain shower which fell before the match, I was looking forward to a fast flowing game of Football from the Terrors.  The game kicked off late due to repairs to Bishopsford Road end goal. I thought the ref was waiting for the crowd to turn up!

The game turned out a repeat of last season’s 0-0 draw at Imperial Fields. The Bay team played at a much faster pace than the cumbersome Hythe team last Saturday, and their marking was much tighter. There were a couple of chances in the first half to the Terrors, one of which should have been put away. Herne Bay had similar opportunities.

The number of stoppages for fouls and offside constantly interrupted the flow of the game, though out the game. The Terrors were unable to produce the eloquence of last Saturday mainly due to a  well organised Herne Bay team. Many teams in this League play to a similar style, and we have adopt  a plane “B” or  I fear more games like the one we witnessed last night.  Tooting showed obvious weaknesses in the air both in defence and attack, which also surfaced last Saturday. The defence is very light in terms of presence, and the right back position looks very vulnerable.

The second half was a non event for the Terrors, apart from rocket shot from Hall, which their keeper fumbled. Unfortunately we did not put enough pressure on the Bay’s goal as the keeper did not look comfortable. A glorious chance for the Terrors seconds from the end, was somehow scrambled away, this would have been a total injustice for the sea siders, as they had taken control of the game for long spells in the second half. Only the brilliance of keeper Paul Smith kept the Terrors in the game. The match in the second half was contained about twenty metres each side of the halfway line, The Bay fathomed out how to break this down with quick long balls which constantly caught our defence out.  In the meantime it would take several passes for Tooting to make progress and eventually lose the ball.

Although I was not a great fan of Sol Pinnock in his previous stays at the club, he seems to be a revelation this time around. Head and shoulders our best attacking forward, but he does need some larger presence up front to support him. Many of his fine runs and crosses were wasted when other players just stood and waited for the ball to come to them. We cannot rely on him all the time.

My man of the match both at Hythe and the Herne Bay game goes to Jordan Cheadle.

We have now seen both sides of the Terrors team, which one will turn up Saturday.

Last edited by Mikem (14/8/2013 3:08 pm)

14/8/2013 9:10 pm  #2

Re: Herne Bay Rain and Reality Check

A fair result in the end. Games like this last season we lost with late goals.... Disappointed we didn't pick up a win but at least we didn't give away any silly goals.

A couple of great saves from Paul Smith as well...

Just a shame the crowd was not as good as I had hoped it would be...

15/8/2013 6:13 am  #3

Under that sort of second half pressure we would have let in three of four goals last season.  This season we seem to be able to keep the ball out of our net and not just "thump" the ball up the pitch.  Also, even when we were under pressure we left one or two (and once three) players up the pitch which is good to see.  I do agree however that we need to sort out the right back position.

I was sorry to see Sawyer come off in the second half.  He is one of the forwards that looks like he is doing nother or having a crap game but will get the goals that count.  Unless he got a knock I would like to see him on the pitch.  I like the look of Cheadle: very quick feet for a big player.  I think he would be better placed further up the pitch because of his ability to take on a beat players, which he does not get much chance to do at left back.One gets the feeling that something is going to happen when he is on the ball.

Saying that were second best in the second half is a bit harsh as I thought we were on level terms, or there abouts, until the substitutions.  This seemed to affect the performance to me and Herne Bay jumped on it.  The subs were ok as players but the team seemed to lose it a bit.

Lastly: does anyone have any news on Harry Knock?  Pre-season I thought that he was one of our aces in the pack.  Do we know whst his injury is and for how long he is out?

16/8/2013 10:15 am  #4

I understand that Harry Knock damaged his knee ligaments in the last pre season game.  However, although its not as bad as first feared, he is still about 4-6 weeks away from first team action.

Board footera