“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07/3/2017 10:57 pm  #1

Three Bridges 3-5 TMUFC

Well done tooting - club record run goes on!

Weird game.  5 goals two really soft penalties, a deflection, a rebound off the keeper and a fluke assist.  They scored two beauties in the first half - with a couple of assists from our defence.  In spite of that we had enough chances to score a dozen.

Three Bridges looked competent with two strikers whose pace and size caused us a few problemt. Their defence was big and strong and keeper made one great save.  They look capable of staying up.

Dixon was great again and Chace and Kevin looked like a proper partnership. But again it was the wingers that were the real threat.  Claudia gets better and better. 

Finally a word about the pitch.  That was almost unplayable.

08/3/2017 12:32 am  #2

Re: Three Bridges 3-5 TMUFC

Neversaydie wrote:

Well done tooting - club record run goes on!

Yes definitely, well done indeed.  Tell you something, I was thinking at work tonight how much TMUFC have deserved a season like this.  Admittedly, there has been promotion before but this season has been such a happy one for the club.  Smashing records and a real sense of Tooting force has given this club and the fans something I think they really deserve.  This is the happiest time at TMU for a long while (or well, reading this and on the odd occasion when I actually get to go along ), if you go back to the earliest pages of this forum, and then look at now, you'd never think it was the same club.  It's all come so far........well done everyone 

1956/1957 season to 2016/2017 season - 60 years of T&M in the Isthmian League, and League Champions

08/3/2017 9:23 am  #3

Another good win against a Three Bridges side who got the ball forward plenty of times.  But if a team wants to go toe-to-toe with us, I'm confident we can outgun them.  And so it was in this game.  People who know me will know that I am probably one of the most pessimistic supporters during a game.  I never feel we've got a big enough lead!  But in this game, I was very optimistic that we would win - even at 2-1 down.  We were playing with good pace and were getting players forward and creating chances.  And there's a confidence about the group at the moment - even when something goes wrong, there's a feeling that we'll find a way to put it right.

08/3/2017 10:22 am  #4

Absolutely Endo.  And also a sense of real competitiveness within the squad to drive each other forward that was very apparent last night.
All a bit of a shambles at the back in the 1st half as we struggled with the directness of Bridges who really impressed me with their determination to ignore the restrictions of the dreadful pitch and gave it a real go.

The signings of Kevin and Dan have really had an impact.

It was great to see Danny Bassett back at Tooting on Saturday and only weeks away from being free of sticks etc.  He contributed greatly to our success this season.
And Eddie Dines told me he was back in training so good to read he was being considered for a run out with the U21 side.
Onward and upward.

08/3/2017 1:34 pm  #5

I share the optimism around thinking yesterday we were still OK even at 2-1 down. If anything we started slow and looked a little complacent and their 2 goals really made the team realise they were going to need to perform much better than that to get to 12 wins in a row (what a record by the way). Big test at Hastings on Saturday. 

I thought Chace was outstanding yesterday...again. In the last few weeks (months?) he has taken up a bit of a deeper lying midfield role, because Billy does the more advanced midfield role generally (no.10 role you might say). I think this means Chace has to be a little bit less flair and attacking minded, and a bit more nittygritty and disciplined, which he has surprised me in his aplomb in doing.

He still regularly picks up a loose ball and has those bursting runs into and around the box which inevitably end up in penalties or free kicks because the oppo never see it coming as he glides past them. He is so good at that. But again, what has impressed me most is how willing and capable he has been in the slightly deeper role where there is a lot more midfield “battling”, tackling and dispossessing to do, before quickly and efficiently distributing the ball. A very very intelligent player at this level, and proving to be very disciplined in a new(ish) role in the team.

Claudio also very worthy of a mention. Has learnt to distribute the ball a little earlier (with lots of "encouragement" from the management team and his team mates). Still occasionally holds on to it too long but is certainly learning in that respect. It still always surprises me just how difficult he is to dispossess on those long and often (too) mazy runs. Improving with every game and starting to add a bit more end product to his repertoire.

We're a joy to watch even when we are not at our up most defensively. Bash is a brilliant squad player and is always willing to do the hard work that goes unnoticed. Thought he got caught out by a few early over-the-top balls yesterday but improved as the game went on and went about righting his earlier wrongs. Such a role model for anyone at this level. Disciplined, committed and absolutely solid. A mature character and great for the younger players in our squad to learn from. So glad he decided to u-turn on the retirement decision. 

08/3/2017 8:53 pm  #6

8 goal thriller,but I can't say I enjoyed the game.I was worried when we fell 2-1 down.It looked like on that pitch we couldn't pass the ball as we should.Bash and Quincy had some many problems in that first half.Frank was doing his bit to keep everyone calm and talk to each other.What ever was said at half time worked,we were much more solid and together.Dont know what the Hastings spy made of us.Thought Chace had a good game,and Dan again.As a worrier I don't like this Hastings game or Carshalton at home.They won't want to give us anything.They should be in play offs,so let's hope they are secure in those and rest some players.So lets hope we can keep our advantage.

09/3/2017 2:06 pm  #7

The match report in the Crawley & Horley Observer ends like this.......

"Certainly, Bridges deserve a lot of credit for their performance, but Tooting are the best side they've played this season by far and will be deserved champions if all goes to plan."

It's the " by far " bit that I really like 

09/3/2017 2:12 pm  #8

Bog End Ultra wrote:

The match report in the Crawley & Horley Observer ends like this.......

"Certainly, Bridges deserve a lot of credit for their performance, but Tooting are the best side they've played this season by far and will be deserved champions if all goes to plan."

It's the " by far " bit that I really like 

http://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/sport/football/three-bridges-3-tooting-mitcham-united-5-1-7855922

Bloody hell - it's true.....

I thought that was one of your japes, Boggs.......

1956/1957 season to 2016/2017 season - 60 years of T&M in the Isthmian League, and League Champions

09/3/2017 3:17 pm  #9

I jape you not Plumpers.

" And it's Tooting and Mitcham, 
Tooting and Mitcham FC,
We're by far the greatest team,
Three Bridges reporter's seen. "

Board footera