“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/4/2017 5:38 pm  #1

We won the league!

When you look back at the league it will show that we won on goal difference. We had 105 points which is fantastic but so did Dorking. But when it's close like that you can look at so many decisive moments that decided the title

22/4/2017 6:20 pm  #2

Re: We won the league!

Brillant season, fantastic performances, superb team, awful game today but who cares.  We did exactly what was needed and we take our deserved place in the Prem next season. 

Thank you Frank, thank you Paul and thank you Steve Adkins.

22/4/2017 6:41 pm  #3

Quite a non event as far as the football was concerned. I don't think they believed they could beat us by such a margin and I don't think we believed they could beat us by such a margin. Hence the relative stalemate.

Sandy should have put a couple away today, and mike hit the bar.

Congrats to all involved. Amazing entertainment this year. Such a strong team spirit which has been instilled by frank, Paul and the players.

Hope dorking go up via play offs, they deserve it.

22/4/2017 8:47 pm  #4

Yes, I suppose the game itself was a bit of an anti climax but you have to remember that the league is a 9 month long  marathon. And we have performed unbelievably well in that time.

And the beauty of winning such a close competition is that every  decision and action has contributed to the championship

23/4/2017 12:38 pm  #5

Well that was THE most memorable season in the many years I have been supporting T&M.

It shouldn't be a surprise that we have done so well this year, considering the status of the club, the facilities and the support we get. But it was a total surprise, how many of us would have predicted us getting anywhere the league title, not many I would think. We have been poor for so many years and the lower mid table finish that we had seemed to make our own looked on the cards this season as well.
There didn't seem to be many changes to the set up but somehow everything clicked into place, we became the best team in the division and deserved to win it.

A slightly unusual season as well, in that when one team dominates, they would run away with it. With us and Dorking breaking records along the way it made for an unbelievably exiting and tense last month or so.

This is proper success. The odd micky mouse cup win that other clubs don't put much effort into, might take your mind off the real competition, but league wins make the opposition take notice and give you the respect that is due, they acknowlege that you are the best team, no question.

Where do we go from here? I haven't thought too much into the future and have tended to just savour the moment of success of this season. Our last adventure into the Ryman Premier didn't end well, players and management teams can change quickly in non league and it remains to be seen if the owner is keen to dip his hand in his pocket for the increased costs of a higher division. For the moment I will just bask in the glory of TOOTING and MITCHAM UNITED.......LEAGUE CHAMPIONS  !!!!!!!!!!!

23/4/2017 12:55 pm  #6

What a great day yesterday was.

The sun was shining, many beers sunk in The Stepping Stones, non stop support during the game from the Bog End faithful, and we took the title at the end of the day.

Forget the game itself. It was never going to be a classic, and I thought we done a good job in limiting the chances that they created.

As has been said before, well done Frank, Paul, and all the lads that put on a Tooting shirt this season. You done us proud.

And finally, a huge thank you to Steve Adkins. With other more high profile clubs being used and abused, we are lucky to have a Chairman that wants the best for the club.

P.S. If anyone finds a larynx anywhere between Dorking and Mitcham it belongs to me. Drop it in at the club and I will pick it up when passing! 😆

Last edited by DarrenP (23/4/2017 12:56 pm)

23/4/2017 1:22 pm  #7

I think 105 points would have won every other league in the country, so Dorking must be feeling a bit peeved! At the same time if we ever get 105 points again I would think that we would have the league sewn up with several games to play.

So when you consider that we had the 15 straight wins you have to hand it to Dorking for keeping the pressure on up until the last day.

But what a season for us full of records, stunning performances and a few games where we really had to dig deep.

23/4/2017 2:49 pm  #8

59er - agree about Greenwich at home, I thought Hastings away was equally stunning with a hard fought victory after wedgie got himself a straight red early on. A brilliant effort and a surprise goal from Tenny!

23/4/2017 5:06 pm  #9

TOOTING ARE BACK!!. Congratulations from this northern outpost to all concerned. Fantastic goalscoring and when the goals dried up crucial 1-0 wins. 

24/4/2017 9:00 am  #10

Absolutely right 59er.
If you looked at the Dorking programme you would have found it stuffed with adverts.
That us how a club with limited support can do even better than make ends meet but actually be successful.
You can't rely on one person constantly stumping up cash.  That is why the whole complex at T&M has to be a success.

24/4/2017 12:20 pm  #11

Some outstanding team performances this season and I was also privileged to have watched the home game against Greenwich which demonstrated the terrors determination which they continued to show. So looking forward to the new campaign in the Premiership. Well done, my late Dad would have been very proud.

24/4/2017 12:29 pm  #12

dac123 wrote:

Hope dorking go up via play offs, they deserve it.

You're right dac, they do deserve it, but I'd much rather see Corinthian Casuals come up, I've had a soft spot for them since the days they shared Sandy Lane with us. And they've got proper fans, great booze up/singsong with them after this season's home game  " If you all hate Dulwich clap your hands"

24/4/2017 4:43 pm  #13

Match report on the SLS site:

http://www.southlondonsport.co.uk/single-post/2017/04/24/Tooting-Champions

Massive congratulations from us, 105 points with 120 goals scored is quite an achievement!

25/4/2017 7:41 pm  #14

I have been on for years about getting adverts into the programme, unfortunately we haven't anyone to do this. If a team like Dorking can we can. That's what bring the money in and we will certainly need it next season.

Well done to the team, great performances throughout the season. I see Dorking voted Kyle MOM, so that's another good advert for Dorking.

I must get down to transferring my pics onto the computer, I took rather too many but got carried away with the celebrations. Certainly wasn't expecting promotion but players past and present all deserve credit.

Board footera