“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/7/2017 1:27 pm  #1

Some actual signings!

Well, not new signings.  But its been confirmed that SPB, Kevin MacLaren & Eddie Dines have signed up for the new season.  It seems that over 25 players turned up for the first training session including the whole of last season's squad with the exception of those that we knew about - Mazzone, Alimi and Robinson, as well as Pierson and Callum Wilson.

That is a very good retention rate for this level of football.  In some ways, I'd like to see everyone from last season given a chance, but at the same time, even the best squads need freshening up with new faces every year.

So the big task for the management is to bring in better players but without damaging the fantastic team spirit that we had last season..

07/7/2017 9:03 am  #2

Re: Some actual signings!

5 more confirmed re-signees - Chace O'Neill, Mike Dixon, Peter Wedgeworth, Sandy Cunningham and Kyle Merson.

07/7/2017 11:44 am  #3

Things are looking bright and looking Black & White.
With so many from last season committing themselves to the forthcoming season, and hopefully some good signings, things should prove quite good, certainly not like the last time when we had the "revolving door" policy including starting completely from scratch.

On a different tack, is anybody going Saturday week, and is it a three o clock or one o clock kick off as was initially stated.

Last edited by alanj (07/7/2017 11:53 am)

08/7/2017 9:48 am  #4

Alan, its a 1.00 kick off v Slough. I will try to get there

08/7/2017 10:24 pm  #5

See you there buddy, it will be interesting to see who lines up.

09/7/2017 3:11 pm  #6

Matte Pierson has signed for Whyteleafe.

10/7/2017 8:00 am  #7

Good goalie, who only lost his place due to injury and was a bit unlucky that his replacement hardly put a foot wrong.  Particularly good in a one-on-one situation.  Definitely earned us points early in the season, which as we know were all crucial in the end.

10/7/2017 8:36 am  #8

I presume that he has spoken to Frank and decided that the bench was not for him, and who can blame him.
Sorry to see him go and wish him all the best.

12/7/2017 11:09 am  #9

Frank has said that we have signed Juevan Spencer, a full back/winger from Corinthian Casuals.  He also seems to have confirmed that Billy Dunn and Jake Baxter will be with us in addition to those mentioned above.

12/7/2017 1:09 pm  #10

Add Quincy Rowe and Ollie Bennett to the list of confirmed signings.  So the only players from last season who haven't either been signed up or released yet are Jordan Wilson and Claudio Hoban.

12/7/2017 2:06 pm  #11

Dan Clements? Tenny?
Still looking a good squad, especially if Charlie T-G signs.

12/7/2017 2:22 pm  #12

Oh yes - quite right.  I did see that Clements, Tenny, Jordan Wison and CTG all attended the army boot camp just recently, so I would assume that they are all intending to stay at the moment.

12/7/2017 3:14 pm  #13

I am pleased to see Ollie Bennett still at the club after not playing much in the second half of last season. He is young and has a lot of potential. Let's hope that it can be realised this season.

12/7/2017 7:56 pm  #14

Sometimes, when the chips are down, unity can be like having an extra player!

12/7/2017 7:58 pm  #15

After the sad goings of previous seasons how very refreshing it is to see the club retaining so many of last years successful squad.
That stability and understanding has got to be worth points, especially in the early part of the season.

I share the comments above from Jeff about Ollie B.  Lots more to come there.

Looking forward to the new adventure and hoping for Canvey away as our first game as I will be attending a wedding in Holland that weekend. (Err, are they even in our division?)

13/7/2017 5:25 am  #16

Mr. Bond, just to let you know that you can go to Canvey Island, but you wont be seeing Tooting & Mitcham there as Canvey Island were relegated to the Isthmian League North. Dave I thought you were upto date with these sort of news.

13/7/2017 10:50 am  #17

That us great news Geoff. I am very relieved.

I like to think i am usually reasonably on the ball. But not during the brief close season and 11 weeks in to the build of our single storey extension.
Can't see me making any pre season games. Too much still to do.
But after that.......

15/7/2017 12:33 pm  #18

Tenny Adebowale and Jordan Wilson have now both signed. And with Clements and Hoban in the squad for the first pre season it looks like we will start the season with a very familiar line up.

15/7/2017 12:43 pm  #19

Also Marcel Barrington has returned. I have mixed feelings about him. He must be a good player to have been at a pro club for so long, but I haven't seen that translated to the pitch on match days. There's no point in being a brilliant player if you don't score many goals or create many chances.

I just don't see him as a number 9. So maybe we can get the best out of him in the wider role, or maybe a deeper role in the Dunn position.

15/7/2017 7:48 pm  #20

He played in the second half today, personally, I can still not fathom out why we are trying him yet again, or will it be third time lucky?

16/7/2017 11:31 am  #21

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what we have seen so far. Given our management's record last year I have full faith in what they see, even if I don't at a particular point in time.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a healthy debate, but whilst I haven't seen him shine yet, I don't think he's really been given enough gametime or a starring role to make that happen. Whenever he leaves us he goes higher, so clearly frank and Paul see something and that's enough to keep me comfortable that it can/will work.

16/7/2017 12:51 pm  #22

I am all too aware the camera can lie (sometimes even I can look overweight from the wrong angle!) but the photos from the Slough game seem to show a very slimmed down Billy Dunn.
That can only be good news.

16/7/2017 2:25 pm  #23

59robbery wrote:

Squad looks pretty strong in most areas. Another centre back and goalkeeping cover would probably seal it for the time being.

The one thing we should have over most other teams is squad unity.

I believe you have signed Richard Ossai as GK cover

Last edited by Timbo (16/7/2017 2:27 pm)

16/7/2017 3:53 pm  #24

"I believe you have signed Richard Ossai as GK cover"  -  Announced by "Official TMUFC" Facebook page last Thursday I believe.  

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

16/7/2017 7:39 pm  #25

He made some good saves but flapped at bit at direct shots, palming them back from where they came, not impressive but it is early days yet, trouble is we have been blessed with some first class keepers since "Kingy" so he has a lot to live up to.
You are certainly not wrong Mr. Bond, Billy has indeed lost a few kilos, which shows his commitment to improving his game and showing how he has bought into the ethos of Frank and Paul and hopefully we will now see the best of him.

Board footera