“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/9/2017 10:27 am  #1

Burgess Hill 3 Tooting 1

Didin't go but we were 3-0 down when when Tupper was sent off although we managed to pull one back.  Funnily eneough I was having a conversation on Saturday about who would go in goal should this sort of thing happen.  The smart money was on SPB!.

But without being disrespectfull to Burgess Hill, Needham Market and Brightlingsea, I think these teams will end up in the bottom half of the table so if we can't pick up wins against these sides, you have to start to wonder where we will get 3 points.  7 games in and pretty soon we can stop using the "unlucky" adjective to describe our performances.

I fully expected the games to be a lot tighter this season - perhaps hinging on a single decisive moment.  But we need to start getting over the line by hook or by crook.  I still think we have the players to start climbing the table, but the manager has got to really earn his corn now.

13/9/2017 12:36 pm  #2

Re: Burgess Hill 3 Tooting 1

Well I did go. Not many Terror supporters either. The weather was grim and the match just a little better. Cannot fault the team for effort but we never looked like scoring. The inevitable goal for Burgess Hill in the first half, then we pressed high up the field without threatening their goal. They were always going to score on the breakaway.
Burgess Hill were a poor side and when Joe got sent off the consensus in the crowd, surrounded by Hillians, was that they would score 3 or 4 more, however the team didn't seem interested in scoring anymore much to the frustration in the stand. Billy didn't really get tested.  but good on him to take it on. They also must have done there homework for every time Billy got the ball, when he was not in goal, they were on him and stopped him  from shooting. No Jake or Mike today and is Kevin still suspended?
I though we would win this as I though we would beat Needham and Brightlingsea. We should be beating teams like this. Both Brightlingsea and Dorking are doing better than us.

13/9/2017 3:12 pm  #3

I assume Joe will be suspended for 3 games, and I understand that Kyle Merson is out for a couple of weeks Presumably Joe is our Reserve Team keeper...drafted up to the first team? Or do we have two goalkeepers in the first team squad? 

If Joe is reserve team keeper with a 3 game suspension and if Kyle is injured for the foreseeable future, I assume we will need to sign a keeper in the next few days!

I also was at this game, grim weather. I was a little surprised that Eddie was on the bench and so we played with no holding midfielder (Eddie / Kevin) and instead played a midfield three of Jordan, Chace and Billy (more advanced in the 10). Jordan played the deeper role, and did fine, but obviously it's not his area of strength. Perhaps Eddie was injured...

Also Calum was not in the squad as far as I could see. 

Last edited by dac123 (13/9/2017 3:13 pm)

13/9/2017 3:48 pm  #4

I think Joe is a loan keeper.  And if the red card was for hand ball, it should just be a 1 game ban, starting in 7 days. So that means he'll miss the league cup game against Merstham (unless the FA Cup game goes to a replay)

13/9/2017 11:10 pm  #5

It was reported on Official TMFC that Mike Dixon continues to struggle with a hamstring injury that struck at the start of the season. Calum is still on brain watch following the knock to the head he suffered.
Eddie Dines went off on Sunday nursing a hamstring and although on the bench was presumably being rested last night for the FA Cup game on Saturday.

It was quite a change going in to the game last night with Jordan as the holding central midfielder and Dan back as a pressing wide player.

We were undone by a quite extraordinary finish from their gangly striker that surprised even him.
And really poor marking again when sufficient defenders seemed to race back to cover a quick, wide break but then all failed to get in contact with any of the strikers in the box.

No, we did not summon up enough clear chances for the win. But we do have a strong and muscular striker who is very capable of holding the ball up front and then lays it off well.
I think the key is that Chace and Bill find even greater form and weigh in with some goals from their mazy runs with the ball. 

Onward and upward is the only way.

14/9/2017 7:24 am  #6

What turned out as a bad day for me.My dog died while me and Paul were on way to match.Then to lose game we could have won.And get soaked as well.Think it's already been said but Billy can't get his shots away,the defenders quicker at closing him down.The start of second half we were playing well and felt a goal coming,well it did but wrong end.I can't put my finger on why we are not getting the results.Omar has helped,and I'm sure he will get goals.Maybe we still a player or 2 short.All the injuries we have hasn't helped.Oh well keep going.
Clive

Last edited by casey (14/9/2017 7:25 am)

14/9/2017 3:45 pm  #7

Did you see that Buggers Hill reckoned the crowd was 276 on that filthy Tuesday night !!! 
I don't know how they worked that out, looked more like 76 to me - ok, maybe 176 but nowhere near the 200 mark at all ! 

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

15/9/2017 7:28 am  #8

DeePee wrote:

Did you see that Buggers Hill reckoned the crowd was 276 on that filthy Tuesday night !!! 
I don't know how they worked that out, looked more like 76 to me - ok, maybe 176 but nowhere near the 200 mark at all ! 

Perhaps they do an  Arsenal and include every season ticket holder rather than count the amount of spectators actually in attendance.

15/9/2017 7:42 am  #9

I largely agree with  Bondy and Casey. The highlights should what a good quality goal we scored with the ball moved quickly with 1 / 2 touch from inside our own half to their penalty area and a great finish. Tenny, Dan, Tenny again, Chance and Omar all involved. Maybe going down to 10 we did not indulge in spending too much time on the ball.
Too often we are taking too much time and too many touches in central mid-field and getting caught in possession. Our "flair" touches and dribbles are from too deep in front of, instead of between their back and middle lines, so at best we are left with speculative shots under pressure from too far out.
I am sure we will be ok because in most games (when we have had 11 men) we have played ok and I would say have been genuinely a bit unlucky but we need to do the simple things more quickly.
I have every faith in Frank and Paul. One or two results will work wonders as I think we can be quite hard to break down - can't really legislate for some very good goals scored against us. BH scored from what was their first 3 shots - these things do happen - shame they are happening to us at the moment!

that we are faced with

15/9/2017 9:03 am  #10

I don't think next weeks game will bear much fruit, Billericay away, but after that maybe see some points and hopefully Worthing will continue there dire start.

15/9/2017 9:35 am  #11

It's great that the lads from last season are getting every chance to prove themselves at what is a much higher level. Everyone is still learning and we are playing some very good football, but mistakes will get punished.

We do need a couple of new faces, if only to address the sheer size and physical requirements of the division, but getting McLaren and Dines fit will go a way towards that.

I feel a cup run coming on !!!

15/9/2017 9:37 am  #12

Yes - we are long overdue a good run in the League Cup.

Board footera