“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/11/2017 11:12 am  #1

Unbelievable C**P

I have never left a Tooting game at HALF TIME in all my years supporting this club, despite staying to  the bitter end and watching some horrendous performances over the last few seasons. Last night was enough,  I surrendered at the interval!

After breaking club records in  winning last season's  Sunday league tournament,  the fans were living in hope of a long overdue revival for the club. A record breaking season enjoyed by everyone, including me, raised many hopes. After the game against Dorking I pointed out the team would struggle at the next level with same personnel. Unfortunately this was proved correct after the first few games. How we have gained 18 points this season is beyond me, those teams dropping points against  us must scratching their heads. The players can only play to the best of their ability, so you can't blame them, we struggle in most games, and humiliated in some  in terms of organisation, technical skills and being usually  a yard off the pace. 

The attendance Last night was 160, and his included at least 40 plus ecstatic Margate fans . The place was completely soulless as a home match.  The gate against the K's (local Derby) Saturday was 262 with over 100 away fans attending.  The home support has been very poor this season, only bolstered by away fans making the the attendance look  healthy at times. Only once have we exceeded 300, and that was against Enfield who had at least 120 plus fans following their team.  The home team support  at Imperial Fields  probably averages 120/150 for most games, absolutely shocking at this level, any extra fans gained from last season have vanished into thin air, as a direct result of performances.

Posting on this forum have mocked  Dulwich, Sutton and Billericay amongst others, who mocks us?  Whatever your views these club's have done wonders  in terms of performance and crowds. There was not any ambition to make the most of going into a real football league and beyond.  Only one team being demoted this season may be the saving grace, and if do avoid the drop it doesn't hide the fact we'll struggle  at this level.  Is it back to Sunday Football?

Last edited by Mikem (22/11/2017 2:40 pm)

22/11/2017 3:00 pm  #2

Re: Unbelievable C**P

I'm just off to slash my wrists 

22/11/2017 3:19 pm  #3

Mikem, totally agree with you and elequently written. I have a rare double issue programme for sale which I acquired at this game which the current bidding is in excess of ............!!!! If interested.

22/11/2017 3:57 pm  #4

It has been a disappointing, if not fully expected, start to the season. But go back two seasons and the fans were criticising in exactly the same way, if not worse. Paul came in to assist Frank and things began to slowly stabilise. Chase then turned up and things slowly got better. The following season everything came together.

Might not this season be mirroring Frank's first season here? We are starting from scratch in this division and are once again on a learning curve. It might only take a small injection to restore circulation. One or two experienced players who can install some order on the pitch.

My glass is always half full!

22/11/2017 10:16 pm  #5

Could not agree more Ev, I just wish some of the doom and gloom merchants just took a step back and considered the same as you.
Surely nobody in their right mind could have thought anything different
I don`t think any of us realised how big a leap we were making, but we soon found out.
I have said it before and I will say it again, provided we stay in this division I will be happy, provided I see an improvement in our play, we have shown , albeit spasmodically we can compete when we put our minds to it, but nobody can disagree we do need an improvement in certain positions on the pitch.
The one shining star so far has been little Dominic if only some of the other players put as much effort into their game as he does I feel sure our points tally would be better.

I`ll have a large brandy Ev! 

22/11/2017 11:13 pm  #6

I agree with you Alan and Eve.
How can anyone who would make claims to be a true supporter really think relegation for their side could be beneficial when:
a) it was such a long journey to get (back) up to the Premier Division
b) the standard of the bottom half of Bostik South is so poor
c) the top half of the Bostik South Division is so competitive and promotion so difficult.

Many of the posters are keen to highlight how poor the standard of the team. And the good win against top 10 side K’s has been quickly forgotten.
Whilst a bottomless budget would be great recruitment has brought a bigger squad and competition in most positions.h
And whilst it has been acknowledged that Kevin still lacks full match fitness having completed only two games no one has mentioned that we lost Callum, our most competitive and consistent central defender in recent weeks, to concussion in the warm up. The equally consistent Eddie Dines is still recovering from injury, as is Jeuven Spencer.  (And Ollie Bennett was unwell)
So that was 3 of the 1st team regular starters missing!!!!
Would any side not find that a problem?

However I certainly do agree the lack of communication leading to the first goal was poor. And whilst our punts up field yielded little reward a similar simple ball down the inside left channel completely unlocked us. And who might have been responsible.
But I thought the ref was not just soft but negligent in the amount of holding and grappling he allowed the Gate central defenders to get away with all night.
Yes Mike and Omar are not exactly waifs but they found it almost impossible to break free.

Keep the faith.

23/11/2017 11:55 am  #7

One factor not discussed yet is the difference between results on Saturdays v Mid-week. I don't think we have any points from midweek matches whereas our Saturday returns I reckon are w5 d3 l4. There may be more than one reason such as quality of opposition, type of work our players do, level of fitness and ability to recover etc. Not sure if this highlights any issues - just thought I would put it out there especially after the recent disappointing midweek peformances v Burgess Hill and Margate.

23/11/2017 1:07 pm  #8

I'm a bit baffled by some of this criticism. OK, it wasn't a good performance against Margate but I have seen
many worse Tooting displays over the years. We didn't play well, Margate were a decent team and took their ( few ) chances well. Did those unhappy supporters really expect to go up a level, play well every game and be challenging for a play-off place ? I certainly didn't. The ultimate priority when going up a level is to stay there for more than one season. There have been good displays this season and poor displays this season - exactly as I would have expected. There have been games when we haven't looked like scoring and games ( Worthing, Harrow, Kingstonian ) where we scored a few - exactly as I would have expected. Of course, the defence needs improving but Callum's late withdrawal on Tuesday, Jelley's quick
departure and Dines's injury don't help.
Let's just be realistic and get behind the team. We are in the Premier Division and want to stay there. Just accept that, in our first season back at Step 3, we are going to meet some good teams who will be better than us in some matches.

23/11/2017 5:08 pm  #9

This is an open forum used for debate and opinions, which in the "Big Picture" of Tooting & Mitcham United Football Club has zero relevance!  Since my posting on "Unbelievable C**p",  I have noticed the usual apologist have appeared. Leaving out the pathetic suggestions about players missing or playing out of position,  the main criticism made  was the team being totally under prepared moving from Sunday Football to real Football.  Even the Bostik league is dreaded by conference South teams in case they are relegated to what in their eyes is an inferior level.

A team with Tooting's record in winning Ryman South would have been expected to  be well up the top half of the Bostik Premier League, just take a look at Maidstone, Dartford and   Bromley to understand  what they achieved.  How on earth were the team so under-cooked at the start of the season, there are probably all the usual reasons quoted on here, and many more besides.

I have supported the Football club through thick and thin, and will always do so,  but after years of neglect  and mismanagement,  and some truly horrendous results. Tuesday night was finally  enough for me. I could not take looking at another  45 minutes of unadulterated rubbish. I could have selected any number of match this season for the same treatment.

Is it possible for something to  be achieved  despite all negative comments concerning money etc. Yes it can!  As an example, Oxford City, Dartford, Maidstone United, and yes even AFC Norbiton have achieved their success despite starting without a ground. Concord started a club in a field squashed between a Caravan Park and a Oil Refinery located in the Thames Marshes,  with a couple of cow sheds for changing room and spectator accommodation, and playing in the Essex County League. Sutton play on a ground owned by the Council, they are now on the verge of playing in the Football League. These examples are what can be achieved despite all the setbacks and numerous hurdles they had to  encounter on the way, including lack of cash. 

The Football team may well hang on in the Bostik premier Division, and may even slightly improve over the next couple of years, but the damage has already been done. The last time the club was relegated there was a huge drop in attendances. Gates are already falling this season, and is down to the real core support,  and a further decline will see home support  dropping to  under 100, with gates relying on away support.

A team with a  lack of ambition, falling fan base, and a sub standard  playing squad does not  look well for the future.  Whilst the apologist continue their defence of the negative,  let see what the ultimate ambitions of the Football club are, if any,  and how they are going to achieve this?  I think there is more excitement looking at a brick wall. A few years back There was a famous quote by  the club " The Terrors would be in the Football League by 2017", well it's 2017.

Bondy , I have kept the faith more years than you have had hot dinners, I am now onto  hope and charity!

23/11/2017 9:34 pm  #10

I agree to disagree with your comments Mikem, the famous quote you refer to was made by two Essex boys who were chancing their arm, and once found out were soon shown the door. So not by people with any standing or position within the club.
PS. I am not an apologist but a supporter, in the true sense of the word, not like some people who seem to relish making negative statement`s about the club.

24/11/2017 8:16 am  #11

Mikem wrote:

Bondy , I have kept the faith more years than you have had hot dinners,

No you haven't, nobody has. Not unless they've been following Tooting since the Stoneage when the team used to wear Zebra skins.

24/11/2017 12:25 pm  #12

Alan J, I am not an idiot, of course I know the background to the statement, just another example of mismanagement. At least one of the punters, can't remember if it was Ronald or Reggie came from Bexley!  I do not relish making comments about the club only when it's deserved.

Board footera