“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/1/2018 9:47 am  #1

Margate 3-2 Terrors

I can't see anything but relegation this season... Don't get me wrong, we playing well in the second half but were just not good enough for this league

21/1/2018 11:01 am  #2

Re: Margate 3-2 Terrors

Yet another 3G pitch! One up in less than a minute from a beautifully struck free kick by Wedgeworth from just outside the area.  One each with a completely unnecessary penalty given away.   2-1 down through a a horrendous error by Drage letting through Margate to  score unchallenged. Minutes into  the second half 3-1 down to  well taken goal by Margate.  Tooting Pressurised throughout the second half and were rewarded with a scrambled goal 15 minutes from time.

Tooting tried hard for the equaliser and were unlucky when the very overweight Margate keeper fumbled the ball on the line, Although 2 Tooting players were very close to the ball they could not reach in time. The 3 minutes of extra time was a farce with only 30 seconds of actual football played. Well over a minute was wasted when the ref lost control of a Margate substitution, and Margate used delaying tactics as they were under pressure.

Verdict - The Terrors deserved a draw, but you can't hope to win making the task difficult 3-1 down.  Margate knew they had just about survived to win the game.  Referee very poor, he was my "Man of the Match" , he was the star player!  The Terrors need to  get some clean sheets very quickly if they are going to  survive.

Last edited by Mikem (21/1/2018 11:02 am)

21/1/2018 11:19 am  #3

That's 70 goals conceded now.  The 100th should come, unless we stop conceding 2.4 goals per game, against the Leatherhead in April.  Just think we had scored 85 at this time last season.

Sadly I agree with Ant.

21/1/2018 1:51 pm  #4

Stern talking to by the ref for several Gate players for constant bitching early on in the game. Followed by a long ticking off for their manager. He then clearly decided to stamp down further that resulted in a booking for...Dom!

We played Dixon up front on his own but our ambition throughout the 1st half seemed to be limited to pumping the ball up high.
That got very little reward, especially as we did not press hard enough to contest their headed clearances.
As you say Mike, we were much improved in the 2nd half in both our delivery and commitment mostly, in my eyes, because we kept the ball on the floor more and tried to play.
Players got wide, drove at their opponents, put them under some pressure.

Their first two goals were indeed horrors and came before we had taken control of the game after our dream start.
Perfect surface.  Keep the ball.  Make them chase the game.

Need to improve chaps.  Get Bill and Dicky out of the way next week and then go 100% for positive, attacking football.
Seems we can’t stop conceding goals so lets score 2/3 in every game and see what happens.

21/1/2018 3:05 pm  #5

For those without Facebook, here is link to match report on Official website which also contains link to Sam Conquest's match photos
https://www.tmunited.org/Pages/Article/219

Last edited by Tim Marcus (21/1/2018 3:06 pm)

21/1/2018 7:23 pm  #6

With all the doom and gloom written on here, are we in danger of talking ourselves into the one relegation spot ?
We have not been heavily beaten lately, we've gradually got a bit more competetive as the season has gone on and are now losing by the odd goal or two. Not good enough I know, but with slightly improved performance and some luck going our way we can surely get something out of the games coming up in the next few months.
I don't expect to get anything against Billericay, but after that there are plenty of games that look winable on paper. If Frank can keep the confidence up in the squad, then surely some of these narrow defeats can be turned into points.

21/1/2018 7:52 pm  #7

I have certainly not given up Andy. 100% not.
But the stats from Ev don't lie.
So if we are not capable of keeping a clean sheet (as the evidence suggests) then let's give it a real go and unleash the attacking dogs of war.

21/1/2018 10:05 pm  #8

I could understand the depression that some of the supporters are feeling, if, like the last time we were in the premier division, we were suffering quite heavy beatings, but we are not.
I feel the players, if they could only start believing in themselves, are capable of turning things around.
With the second half showing on Saturday, we deserved at least a point, I know a game last`s 90 minutes but I felt it was Margate, more than us, who were relieved to hear the final whistle.
Look for the positives in our game, and there are many, we just need to iron out the silly errors that keep occurring.
Yes my glass is always half full  and for me we always have a chance as long as their are sufficient points to play for.

21/1/2018 10:53 pm  #9

Burgess Hill have four games in hand on us and are four points behind us.... They have also beaten us twice this season.

We need to start winning games because time is running out. As I have said before far too many people seem to think we will be ok because only one team is going down from our league....

And as I've said before we have been unlucky after playing good football in most matches, but our form is relegation form....

None of this glass half full... half empty stuff.... I threw my glass across the room weeks ago...

21/1/2018 11:12 pm  #10

Hate being negative BTW....

I'm desperate for the team to turn things around.

22/1/2018 9:23 am  #11

I can understand the feeling of negativity, and like yourself Harry, our form is to say the least not good and leads to concern, but without hope, what have you got. As I said their still are a lot of points to play for and hopefully we can start to win a few and get ourselves out of the position we find ourselves in, no one is saying it will be easy but you must believe it is possible.
Think I will have another drink! 

22/1/2018 10:54 am  #12

Going all out attack would be a very risky strategy, I think, Bondy. We've hardly looked lethal in front of goal this season anyway, so I could only see that ending badly.
So far we seem to have set up pretty conservatively with defending the priority and attacking when we can, most teams in the country at all levels in our position would do this. Its a lower risk, safety first plan that managers have to employ at this stage of the season with so many points to play for. Its the individual errors, in vital areas of the pitch, by experienced players that you can't plan for. These have hurt us a lot and I don't know what can be done about it. Maintaining player confidence is part of it, and that comes from the manager. He's got a difficult job on his hands the next few months, but I've got faith and I have to believe he can pull it off.

Board footera