“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/1/2018 11:19 am  #1

Norman Stanley, a pleasure and a privilege to meet the man.

Not Norman Stanley Fletcher of 'Porridge' fame, but Norman Stanley ex-Terror and England Amateur International goalkeeper was at the Margate game on Saturday with his son (He lives down there now). In the bar at half-time he couldn't wait to engage us in conversation, anxious it appeared to be reassured he was still remembered. He said his last season with us was about 71/72 (Ian ?) which is around the time I first started going to Sandy Lane. Brian Monk assures me he was a very good keeper which he must've been to play for England Amatuers. What a lovely bloke and his son was even joining in with some of the Bog End chants in the second half, no doubts where the family loyalties lie.

Kicking myself now for not getting a photo taken with him.

22/1/2018 1:08 pm  #2

Re: Norman Stanley, a pleasure and a privilege to meet the man.

In all my 50 plus years of watching The Terrors, the best goalkeeper I have seen. And that includes Alex
Stepney. Would be great to see him at a home game.Did you get a contact number or e-mail address for
him, BOE ?
His last appearance for us was in the 1970/71 season.

22/1/2018 1:44 pm  #3

59robbery wrote:

Perhaps the club should invite him and his son up to a game before the end of the season.

Then we could get his picture. But standing next to who Big End 

We could invite him to draw the numbers for the 100 club, then he could be pictured next to you Rubbery.

22/1/2018 4:07 pm  #4

"Kicking myself now for not getting a photo........." 

See this week's programme v Bill 'n' Dicky 

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

24/1/2018 4:09 pm  #5

Dave Irons (who somehow can't post on here Chezz) has asked me to put the following on here :--

"Croydon (ex Amateurs) are holding an end of season players reunion and are interested in the Norman Stanley new. They'd be interested in his whereabouts and any contact details for him"

​Whilst I met him on Saturday, along with a few other Terrors fans, sadly I didn't get any contact details for him and /i guess nobody else did either ....... other than to say he now resides in the Margate area.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

Board footera