“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27/1/2018 5:38 pm  #1

Billericay

oh dear oh dear not too disappointed because was half expecting it.  Hope next week is better.
Why sign up new players but not use them but keep them on the bench?

27/1/2018 6:32 pm  #2

Re: Billericay

It is hard to judge the Billericay performance as they never had to come out of second gear. This was due to us continuing to be totally ineffective at the back.  We are just not good enough for this league which is why we are propping it up.

Billericay marked tight; always had a player to lay the ball off to; were good in the air; were very accurate with their long cross field balls and never stopped wanting to score more.

If we are going to stay up something serious needs to be done now to stop the ship sinking.

27/1/2018 8:13 pm  #3

Men against boys (again)

27/1/2018 9:27 pm  #4

The 50/50 draw for the game against Billericay was made, & the winning number is 171. will the holder of that ticket see me at the next home game.

27/1/2018 10:31 pm  #5

That`s if he has not slashed his wrist`s by now Geoff.
Have not felt this disappointed after a game for a long time and what is worse I cannot see how it can improve.
One positive was our new "Lord" Lucan combined with our other young players, gives hope for the future., I just hope the experience of this season does not have a negative effect upon their progress.
As to the game, the least said the better.

27/1/2018 10:43 pm  #6

I have always said boys playing in a man's league. Sum fink has to be done. Cannot carry on like this.

27/1/2018 11:59 pm  #7

Link to match report and match photo album on official website
https://tmunited.org/Pages/Article/233

28/1/2018 12:22 am  #8

Well that has got them, The Dullwits and the 3 other top sides over and done with.  Phew.
Now the fighting has to start in ernest.

But what sort of craziness went on today?
6 of the bottom 10 sides won.  And 4 of those were away wins!
I have confidently maintained that just a couple of wins could take a team from the bottom to half way. However I was really hoping that would be us, not the others around us.

Oh well, 3 away games coming up against fellow bottom 10 sides either side of our away and home games and Wingate & Finchley (who lost to Worthing today).
Got to be some points in there surely.

Anybody notice how quick new boy Conrad was when he took off?  Phew.
It reminded me of Dave in the bar when he finds out some of the players food is going spare!

28/1/2018 5:12 pm  #9

I think whatever team we would have put out yesterday, we would have lost. No surprise or shame there - they've only lost once this season and they're expected to beat everyone.

However, i do think Frank played a bit too cautiously in his selection. I understand the reason for doing so, especially in regards to being compact, but when you look at the midfield we went with - Ollie Bennett, Ryan James, DMG, Eddie Dines, they are all central midfielders of some sort, and so it was a real shame to have no wingers on to stretch the oppo. 

Second half Frank changed it and brought on Isiah Jones and Juevan Spencer. OK you could argue the game was already up by then, but we really improved in the second half with width. Especially through Isiah who looked dangerous and was involved with almost everything we did well in the second half. 

Anyway, like Bondy says, good to see that game out of the way and now a massive last portion of the season left where we should be looking to attack at and beat teams. Starting with Dorking, which won't be easy. 

I still have faith we'll stay up. Looking at the table it looks like it's us, Harlow or someone like Needham Market to go down. We're still in with a shout/fight, and I'm looking forward to see us battle our way to avoid the drop. 

Anyone know where Chace and Sam Flegg were yesterday??

Last edited by dac123 (28/1/2018 5:14 pm)

28/1/2018 6:45 pm  #10

I did not see Sam yesterday but I can confirm Chance failed a fitness test before the game and watched from the stand.  Don’t know what the injury is. 
Perhaps playing safe to make sure he is right for Dorking, which would be logical.

The solid right back we had on loan was sadly called back by Staines as they had an injury gap.
(I got that from Tim M)

29/1/2018 11:36 am  #11

Apparently Flegg is on holiday and Chace has a bad back - no idea how bad.
Despite everything there were one or two positives from the game. The youngsters - Jones, DMG, Bennett and the new lad in the middle looked good and all gave 100%. If (and its a very big IF) the team can perform as they did during the second half we might stay up. The defence  needs to be sorted urgently, at least 4 of the goals were defensive errors.
Beginning to think Frank is not the man to keep us up this year - a new man might not either but it could be worth a try???
Never seen my daughter so depressed as she was during and after the game on Saturday, but as I explained that is the "Joy" of watching Tooting....

29/1/2018 11:57 am  #12

A devastating set of results on Saturday.  I'm not sure where the manager goes from here.  It must be tempting to just bring in different players, but in my experience, teams in our situation can only really attract sub-standard players at this stage of the season.  And there is no guarantee that their hearts would be in it.

Stick with the current group?  Well, they just have not got the results so far.  But that would be my preferred option.  They've got us into this situation - so I would give them a chance to get us out.

There is the young player option - but this is just not the right time to bring them in wholesale.

Either way, its suddenly become a very gloomy outlook.  Its been a blank January and it will take a brave man to pick out a February fixture where we might pick up some points.

I've got a bad case of football depression.

29/1/2018 1:56 pm  #13

Frank's article on Saturday in the programme explained that Flegg will be absent for a few games as his job
necessitates him taking leave at this time of the year.
I don't see any point in making big changes at this stage of the season. I still believe ( at least for a few more matches !) that we will not finish in last place. But, changes in the Summer ? That is a different matter.
On a more positive note, I spoke to Dan Clement on Saturday and he hopes to be back in training in 2/3 weeks. The pitch at Dorking tomorrow will probably be in a bad state. Could be a help to us !!

29/1/2018 2:04 pm  #14

jeffb wrote:

. The pitch at Dorking tomorrow will probably be in a bad state. Could be a help to us !!

So might brining in Messi, Ronaldo and Kane, but that's not going to happen either
Hope to see you tomorrow Jeff.

29/1/2018 7:26 pm  #15

I have been told by a normally reliable source that someone might well be returning to us.  I don't know if it will help us though.

29/1/2018 9:16 pm  #16

Oh you tease Ev.

Board footera