“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28/1/2018 1:37 pm  #1

Delusional Positivity

Yesterday was clearly frustrating for us all, I think more so because we sunk to the foot of the table. However I'm sure we're all realistic in saying that Billericay probably should be beating every team in the league by 4 goals.

That being said, going forward we cause them problems and it wouldn't have flattered us to have scored more (albeit the same could be said for them). Offensively, 9 teams have scored less goals or the same. Looking at the impact players like Jones have, I don't think we have any problems there. Bondy mentioned this the other week - can we go for broke and score more than the opposition.

We have a squad that is low on confidence, as we all are. But I think every single reader on here has seen the club in worse times. We're in a dog fight, but the plane is still in the air.

28/1/2018 1:49 pm  #2

Re: Delusional Positivity

I have to disagree in that we did not cause them problems going forward.  We scored from a good header and a penalty.  Their back four was well drilled and they TALKED to each other throughout the game.  As long as we play "punt and run" without forwards who can head the ball, either flicking on or directing the ball back to a free midfield player, we will be little problem to teams like Billericay.

28/1/2018 1:58 pm  #3

I agree that our approach was poor, especially in the first 60 minutes. The introduction of actual wingers meant balls being put into the box, we hit the bar and Wedgie missed a good chance one-on-one. They've only conceded 19 goals in 23.

Frank was on the Back of the Net podcast where he argued it was reasonable to play out from the back when the conditions suited it. I agree with you that playing to Dixon's head gives him no chance and makes his job near impossible. At least we have some decent offensive players - I think our problem is more in the 76 goals conceded.

28/1/2018 4:14 pm  #4

If the goalkeeper actually bowled the ball out instead of aimlessly kicking it we might retain possession a bit more and our defence would be less under pressure - doesn't that make sense?

28/1/2018 5:52 pm  #5

Mike Dixon has no interest in challenging for anything, and certainly doesn't want to head the ball. Even if he puts a shoulder against a defender in an aerial challenge we might win a corner or throw in. As it is he makes life easy for opposition defenders. Maybe he is conserving energy, or doesn't want to get injured, or maybe that is just not his game.

Last edited by Andy Mc (28/1/2018 5:53 pm)

28/1/2018 6:50 pm  #6

I fully agree Ev and can only advise you that our manager shouts himself hoarse trying to get the defenders and midfielders to share information with each other verbally.
And I agree that Bill and Dicky gave a very good demonstration of how that should work in practice.

Board footera