“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/3/2018 9:25 am  #1

Criticism of the Chairman etc

I see some criticism of owner and the manager has started to creep in after the Worthing game. There has been very little of this so far this season, maybe surprisingly so considering how poor we have been. Winning the league last season has given Frank plenty of credit in the bank but that credit seems to be getting low now. If we avoid relegation some will see that as job done, as we all knew this was going to be a difficult season, but if nothing changes we are going to be in the same situation next year.

I like Frank as a manager and think he can be a success over time, but he is pretty inexperienced at this level and I think he needs an assistant know knows the division well and can help with quality player recruitment. Even if we go down, I think he should be given another chance to see what he can do.

As for Mr Adkins, there are two ways of thinking here. Should we be grateful that we have an owner that subsidises the club, we all know that the gate and bar money alone doesn't pay the bills, safe in the knowlege that the club is in safe 'ish' hands. Steve is a businessman who knows there is no money to be made in football and it probably hurts him to be throwing money at a football team. On the other hand he knew what he was getting into before he got involved with us and Chairman in football are expected to put their hands in their pockets.

Its not all about money, of course, clubs at all levels have done really well on limited budgets, Leicester City being the ultimate example, Corinthian Casuals seem to do well on no money at all.  Of course, plenty of instances of the opposite side of it with clubs spending big money and getting into trouble along the way.

So I think a balance has to be struck here. Stick with Frank Wilson, but give him as much experienced help as possible and Steve Adkins, do what football owners should do, stick your hand in your pocket and up the budget a bit, within reason, of course. With one of this best facilities in non league football the supporters deserve a better team than this.

Board footera