“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/11/2018 9:09 am  #1

INFORMATION PLEASE.!

Is somebody able to provide me with information regarding Billy and Georges time when they managed the club.
Cups won or cup run`s.
This is required ASAP please and would be much appreciated.

26/11/2018 10:16 am  #2

Re: INFORMATION PLEASE.!

2006-2007

I think he was appointed in the summer of 2006 after the departure of Richard Cadette.  His first game in charge was at Plod where Danny Carroll scored the equaliser to give us a 1-1 draw.  In his first season we did the double beating Met Police 4-1 in the SSC at Sutton, followed just 2 days later by an impressive 4-2 win against Bromley in the LSC  at Imperial Fields with Vines scoring 3.

We finished second to Maidstone by 1 point, but there was a 10 minute spell during the last game when we were winning and Maidstone were losing when it looked like we might nick it.

We beat Fleet 2-1 in the semi final of the playoff with 2 injury time goals from Joe & Paul Vines.  We were favourites in the final against Hastings as we were unbeaten in 31 consecutive games in all competitions, but for some reason we seemed out of sorts on final day and lost 2-0 in what was our 69th game of the season.

Highlights of the season (and there were many) -

The emergence of Paul Vines as a Tooting legend, although he started the season as back up striker to Simon Mitchell!

The FA Trophy run which started at home to Dulwich when they missed a twice taken injury time penalty to leave the score at 2-2, which led to the 7-6 win in the replay with Henry Darko scoring the winner late in extra time.

We beat higher league opposition after replays in the next 2 rounds - Boreham Wood and Bromley.

We were a few minutes from claiming the scalp of Bath in a great day out before they equalised late on and beat us in the replay.

26/11/2018 10:21 am  #3

Thanks for that "Endo".
I thought it might be more poignant if some info could be added to the shirt frame.

26/11/2018 10:26 am  #4

2007-2008

We finished 2nd again, quite a way behind Dover, but we got promoted via the playoffs.  We beat Worthing 2-0 in the semi, before winning 1-0 in a nervy final against Cray.  Paul Vines scoring all 3 goals.

We retained the LSC having beating Hendon 3-2 in the final with 2 goals from Jon Henry-Hayden and 1 from Vines.  We also beat Conference South Fisher in the semi final.

Best away day has to have been the 4-3 win over Worthing.  Vines was sent off for taking his shirt off during a goal celebration, but the 10 men nicked a winner when Romuauld Bouadji found himself leading a breakaway on the counter!

Just the 59 games that season, without seeming to get tired!

26/11/2018 10:38 am  #5

2008-2009

Our first season in the top division didn't start too well and a 7-0 defeat at Ashford saw us bottom and pointless after 3 games, but we turned it around with a 4-2 win over Sutton in the Bank Holiday game.

It was a season of consolidation, with no trophies, and no real cup runs and we lost our LSC crown in the semi final against Hendon.

However, we did see the debut of a youth player called Michail Antonio who scored on his debut away to Wealdstone.

For a short while we had a forward partnership of Antonio and Vines and we managed to climb up to 2nd before Antonio moved on and we were unable to maintain the momentum.

This was the year of the snowy away game at Redbridge where we won 6-0!

A little unbeaten run toward the end of the season saw us climbe to a respectable 9th place finish.

49 games this season.

Last edited by endofthelane (26/11/2018 10:39 am)

26/11/2018 10:54 am  #6

2009-2010

We made a good start to this season and were in and around the playoffs for most of the season before falling away with only 2 wins in our last 9 games to finish 12th.

But the season will be remembered for the FA Cup run!  A couple of decent scalps in Slough and Canvey Island set us up for a 4th qualifying round tie against Eastbourne Borough of the Conference.  We were 3-1 up before they got 2 late goals to force a replay.  We then saw one of the best performances under Billy Smith as we came from behind in the replay to win 4-3 and send us to the first round for the first time since 1978.  

The away game against Stockport was a highlight although the result wasn't what we wanted.

By the 53rd and last game of the season, I think we all knew that Smith & Wakeling were leaving and although we lost 3-2 away to Boreham Wood in the it was probably fitting that Paul Vines scored the final goal of their tenure.

And I think its fair to say we haven't reached those levels again since Billy left.

Last edited by endofthelane (26/11/2018 11:49 am)

26/11/2018 11:00 am  #7

1 x Promotion
1 x Playoff Final
2 x London Senior Cup winners
1 x Surrey Senior Cup winners
1 x FA Cup 1st Round appearance.

And he built a great side full of players who we still talk about as some of Tooting's best.  Although Mark Beard did a prettyu good job I thought, you just don't think of any of his players with the same affection as you do for Smith's teams.

I'll try to do the game stats later on.

26/11/2018 11:19 am  #8

League Stats

Played 168 W-79 D-41 L-48 Goals 275-203

Play Offs

Played 4 W-3 D-0 L-1 Goals 5-3

26/11/2018 11:56 am  #9

Cup Stats:

FAC W-6 D-1 L-4 32-22
FAT W-4 D-5 L-4 21-21
LSC W-11 D-1 L-1 39-13 plus 1 abandoned
SSC W-8 D-0 L-3 17-11
LC W-3 D-4 L-3 11-16

Penalty shoot outs W-3 L-2

26/11/2018 12:02 pm  #10

Unofficial stats!

Played 230 Won 114 Drew 52 Lost 64 Goals 400-289.

26/11/2018 1:16 pm  #11

That is an awful lot of work compiling that lot! thank-you, but I have just hit a brick wall  concerning the cost of the frames, just returned from what I thought, was going to place and order, to be told we only have sufficient in our budget for one
Bit of a problem.
So if anybody can give me some guidance it would be much appreciated.

27/11/2018 9:26 am  #12

Hi! Endo, once again thank you for the info. Problem now sorted regarding budget. All back on track, Phew!

27/11/2018 1:30 pm  #13

Some great memories there.
One that stands out for me was the 2007 play off semi final v Fleet, we didn,t play well that night but somehow ended up as undeserving winners. A Joe Vines header and Paul Vines scuffed shot across the keeper that bobbled very slowly into the corner of the net right at the end of added time. That was the most exited I have ever been at any game in my life.

27/11/2018 1:40 pm  #14

Andy Mc wrote:

Paul Vines scuffed shot across the keeper that bobbled very slowly into the corner of the net right at the end of added time. That was the most excited I have ever been at any game in my life.

Andy supports Everton......nuff said.

27/11/2018 2:22 pm  #15

You old cynic "Boggie"
How you are keeping well.

Board footera