“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/4/2019 8:30 am  #1

v Ashford Town

A trip out to the airport for an entertaining game of football and plane watching. Plenty of talking points in this one, the quality of football wasn't one of them, though, the terrible pitch took care of that, the hard and bobbly surface made any sort of decent passing move very difficult.
Tooting started the game the stronger, with Danny Bassett looking dangerous on several occasions, his confidence seems to have returned and he's now looking for the ball and trying things he would not have done a few months ago.
He deservedly put us one up midway in the half, which resulted in a one man pitch invasion, including a dancing move, which alone, should get him a worldwide FIFA football ban !
This distraction marked a turning point in the half, as Ashford got their act together and they managed a few half chances of thier own. 0-1 at the break.
The second half saw Tooting get into their stride very quickly, with 3 chances coming in the first 5 minutes in very similar circumstances, a long ball over the top of their left back, none of which converted.
A few minutes later, Isiah Jones put us 2 up with a fine solo effort, beating several defenders across the penalty area before calmly slotting in the corner.
The rest of the half followed the pattern of the first half, with Ashford gradually playing themselves into the game, but without making too many clear cut chances. They eventually pulled one back with a smart finish from the edge of the area, which made for a nervous last 15 minutes. We made a few late subs and the game fissled out with us getting a deserved 3 points.
A decent crowd for them, with a sizable away support. 5 quid in with a flyer, supposedly a "fun" day, but saw no evidence of that. Another lager only football bar, so a 2 out of 10 for that.
I also noted that 9 out of 10 planes taking off were British Airways planes.

14/4/2019 12:30 pm  #2

Re: v Ashford Town

Enjoyed the way this report was made Andy Mc !!! Such a pity we are unlikely to be in play offs but next season may well be different in a positive way I hope.

14/4/2019 1:23 pm  #3

Good day out! Natives got abit hostile in the bar afterwards. Sore losers won't be going back there in a hurry!

14/4/2019 3:45 pm  #4

"I also noted that 9 out of 10 planes taking off were British Airways planes."

Ah, but did you see the bright yellow DHL 'plane - worth the the £1 (concessionary) admission alone     

Last edited by DeePee (14/4/2019 3:46 pm)

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

15/4/2019 7:33 am  #5

Yes DeePee, saw the DHL plane, very exiting wasn't it ? lol

Board footera