“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/10/2013 5:59 pm  #1

Lost 2-1 today

I don't understand how the team can play with pace and purpose like it did on Tuesday, then follow it up with a walking pace performance today.  Admittedly there was a bit of a makeshift look about the line up today, but its like the team never got going.  Eastbourne took the lead with a scorcher, and followed that up with a tap in after we failed to deal with a corner.  And at half time they were good value for their lead as we hardly threatened their goal.  But we were given a lifeline as one of their players was sent off just before the break.

We spent most of the 2nd half camped in their half, but apart from a defelected Cheadle free kick, we had nothing to show for it.  Our approach play was so pedestrian, Eastbourne always had time to get their defensive formation in place.  And when we did create an opening our shooting was woeful.  We must have scuffed about half a dozen shots in the box straight to their keeper.  And the passing, so crisp on Tuesday, was short or misplaced all over the park.

Another afternoon to forget.

05/10/2013 6:48 pm  #2

Re: Lost 2-1 today

This has got to be the worst performance so far this season, we played like a team who did not know each other,which was possibly the case considering the changes that were made, perhaps they felt that with the poor quality opposition it would be easy. We seem to raise our game against the top sides then fail dismally when opposition who are below us come along. Let us hope this performance can be put behind us at Hastings, as I am sure it will.
On a more positive note, I feel we are at a better place,football wise, than we have been for a while, those of you that turn up on a regular basis must agree that the quality of football we have seen this season, apart from the odd match, has been a vast improvement on previous years, bearing in mind where Craig started from, eg; zero! Lets not start all this negativity again, and get behind the team.

Last edited by alanj (05/10/2013 8:58 pm)

06/10/2013 9:22 am  #3

Re: Lost 2-1 today

A very entertaining game I thought. Without Pinnock we looked a little lightweight going forward in the first half and caused them very few problems. Eastbourne looked confident and played unlike a team with such a lowly league position and they deservedly went in at h/t with a 2-0 lead.

The second half was a different story, Tooting came out playing with more purpose and a more positive attitude. Eastbourne retreated into thier own half and defended thier lead. An Eastbourne sending off helped Tootings cause and our approach play began to look very good, the final ball or cross left a lot to be desired though, and clear cut chances were few.  We had loads of shots on goal but the goalkeeper hardly got his shorts dirty as they all seemed to be straight at him, on another day, one or two might have gone in and we,d still be in the competition.

We look a very young and inexperienced team, a few older heads would be of benefit to us but quality experience would cost money that we haven,t got, so we,ve got to make do.
So I left disappointed that we,d lost but not downhearted, I disagree it was the worst performance, we,ll play worse than that and win.

Board footera