“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/10/2013 4:34 pm  #1

A Proud Club and a Long History

The 1947 Tooting and Mitcham Handbook attempted to  bring the club's history upto date. The editor did a really great job in bringing together the History of all 3  clubs with information supplied from fans and past officials who provided their recollections of the beginning of all the clubs. The handbook provided a brief History of all clubs,  how they were founded, and their development and outstanding contribution to the local community.

Whilst we have been busy in 2012 being inundated  with all the events of celebrating the 80years since the Formation of Tooting and Mitcham United FC, and the 100years since Mitcham Wanderers were formed, I think everyone has overlooked one simple fact.  The club is much older, and should be a cause of celebration and publicity.

The FA is celebrating 150 years of history this year, whilst last year they celebrated 125 years of the FA Cup. Our club was really started in 1887 when Tooting Town were formed, only 24 years after the FA was formed. The Club has made it's mark in  the FA Cup over the years, whether it be Tooting Town, Mitcham Wanderers or Tooting and Mitcham United.  

I have always believed the club should proud to  celebrate the original Foundation date 0f 1887 and not the merger date 1932.

The 1947 club publication records on the front cover
OFFICIAL
HANDBOOK
1887-1947

Incendently, the publication was 50 pages and cost 9d (that's just under 5p in today's currency)

Last edited by Mikem (10/10/2013 10:13 am)

11/10/2013 10:23 am  #2

Re: A Proud Club and a Long History

Mikem wrote:

The FA is celebrating 150 years of history this year, whilst last year they celebrated 125 years of the FA Cup. Our club was really started in 1887 when Tooting Town were formed, only 24 years after the FA was formed. The Club has made it's mark in  the FA Cup over the years, whether it be Tooting Town, Mitcham Wanderers or Tooting and Mitcham United.  

I have always believed the club should proud to  celebrate the original Foundation date 0f 1887 and not the merger date 1932.

I couldn't agree more mate. A clubs heritage and history is something to be celebrated and treasured. In 2011 Glossop North End celebrated 125 years and we had several superb events and huge publicity to mark it, including playing all season in a specially made Nike replica kit, that was an exact copy of what we wore in the old first division in 1900. 

Some may choose to snigger at us 'bumbling' along at step 5 in the pyramid, or indeed yourselves at step 4, but they tend to be the clubs who have less history to celebrate, than Girls Aloud !

Board footera