“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20/8/2016 4:28 pm  #1

T&M 0 East Preston 1

Well done to East Preston. They out thought and out fought us, taking one of their few chances against the many we missed. Extra shooting practice for everyone in training this week please.

I would love to hear from the ref why there were only three minutes of added time at the end of the game when there had been a long stoppage for injuries to a player from each side and six substitutions. But I suspect that however long was added we would still not have scored.

20/8/2016 4:57 pm  #2

Re: T&M 0 East Preston 1

Agree East Preston totally deserve the win.

But I am concerned about the rest of the season for Tooting, who were complete rubbish today. A chance to progress in the FA Cup and they blew it, they just were not interested, couldn't pass and it wasn't until my man of the match Ashley Robinson came on 10 minutes from the end that we looked like scoring.

A total waste of £10.00 this afternoon.

21/8/2016 8:27 am  #3

My first game of the season yesterday and left feeling very disappointed. For a team that had supposedly retained most of last seasons squad, there seemed to be many new faces in the starting lineup.
We had the lions share of the possession but very few clear cut chances were created, with several players unwilling to pass the ball, trying to take on the opposition single handed, Roberts being the worst culprit.
Only when Ashley Robinson came on deep into the second half did things start to happen for us, but by then you had the feeling it wasn't going to be our day.
East Preston totally deserved the win, they defended well but we really didn't test them that much, very poor considering they play two levels below us.

22/8/2016 7:22 am  #4

From the East Preston site - fair report - except I'm sure the assistant ref didn't agree to the penalty, he seemed to give a corner.An outstanding team performance by the young East Preston team show what they are capable of as they beat Tooting & Mitcham 1-0The magic of the FA Cup was in evidence on Saturday at Tooting & Mitcham when two steps lower down the football pyramid East Preston showed great maturity for such a young team to beat their higher league opponents and progress in the FA Cup. Tooting & Mitcham took the match to their opponents and in the first 20 mins controlled the game but some resolute defending and some fine goalkeeping by Chris Cook kept Tooting & Mitcham at bay. Gradually the young EP team started to get more possession and worked their way into the game. EP were starting to frustrate their hosts and the exceptional work rate meant any chances from the home side were restricted to long range efforts which Cook comfortably dealt with.From a free kick after 23 mins Taurean Roberts hit a shot which Cook could only parry into the path of Danny Bassett who slotted home only to be denied by the assistant referees flag for offside.After 38 mins Jared Rance was put through on the right hand side of the penalty area and a clumsy challenge by Antonio Simeone bought Rance down and both the referee and assistant referee both agreed it was a penalty. Jared Rance stepped up and made no mistake to give EP the lead.Half Time: 1-0 As expected Tooting & Mitcham piled on the pressure in the early exchanges during the second half but some outstanding defending kept the chances to long range efforts which Cook in the EP goal dealt with great confidence.EP’s centre back Matt Smith was injured, following a tackle, after 59 mins and had to be stretched off although the injury is not thought to be too serious the actual extent of the injury won’t be known until he sees the physio early next week. This meant a re-shuffle with Matt Hardman going into the back four and Ryan Hallett coming on in midfield.EP still didn’t panic and continued to enjoy some good possession as the half progressed and in the 65th min Tooting’s Tenny Adebowale put a wayward pass across his area straight to Dan Huet who only had Matt Pierson in the Tooting goal to beat but his shot was saved by Pierson and the chance had gone.As the minutes ticked by a more desperate home side were pushing more players forward and from an excellent shot by Bassett, Cook once again was equal to the effort saving for a corner. Some great game management by the EP team saw the game out and there were jubilant scenes at the final whistle as the young EP side had pulled off an FA Cup shock which was well deserved.Manager Bob Paine said ‘These young EP players thoroughly deserve their victory today this was not a fluke every one of the squad played their part in what is a special day for the club. They showed maturity beyond their years this afternoon and they should be very proud of what they have done today. These results don’t just happen it takes a lot of hard work on the training ground as well as great attitude and commitment.'EP Team: Chris Cook, Josh Parazo, Jacob Parazo, Jamie Witten (Jones 72 mins), Tom Lyne, Matt Smith (Hallett 59 mins), Jared Rance, Matt Hardman, Dan Huet (Smith 75 mins), Jack Barnes, Hayden Hunter
Subs: Jimmy Punter, Dave Beaney, Ryan Hallett, Lukas Jones, Harry Smith, Conor Bull, Charlie Chalaye

22/8/2016 9:28 am  #5

That was the worst I've seen for sometime (and I did witness the Chatham thumping). They did not play as a team, some wanted to show off and failed miserably, and there is no one who score goals. Yes, if certain circumstances had gone our way such as there penalty decision, our penalty shout in the second half and the off side decision from the free kick in the first half, then it could have been all so different. East Preston wasn't brilliant, but they had more fight and desire and worked as a team. How we actually scored four goals in the first two games is a miracle. This was my first game of the season and I wished I hadn't have gone. On a bright note the midfield play looked reasonable, but when it got to near goal, they didn't have a clue. GOD HELP US!

23/8/2016 11:21 am  #6

If Frank had sent on Ashley Robinson a lot earlier it could have been so different. I agree with DaveM - he was my man of the match for what he did in the ten minutes he was on the field.

Board footera