“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31/10/2016 12:05 pm  #1

Match Thread - Chatham Town

The Terrors hit the Crucial month of November, aiming to  keep in the promotion hunt. After wasting opportunities at home  in the FA Cup and Trophy they find themselves out of these two major cup competitions by the end of October. Due to the Poor Standard of Football in the Ryman South this year, there is a great opportunity to  gain promotion, and there are many clubs in contention. Also a large number  of critical league games  schedule for November and any promotion hopefuls will have to  sustain a good run and establish a breakaway group by the end of the month. 

The Stripes are at home to  Chatham Town tomorrow evening hoping to  consolidate their 4th position in the League, whilst Chatham languish 4th from bottom with only 12 points and  a minus 16 goal difference. The Town have only won a single league game away this season surprisingly to  2nd position Dorking Wanderers, and conceding 16 goals in all away matches.  Tooting however, have won only 3 of their 7 home games scoring just 10 goals.

Every opportunity at home has to  be taken by the Terrors, and they must match their away form in losing only one game and scoring 20 goals in the process. After winning 3-2 earlier in the season at the Medway based club, Tooting need  to prove a point to  their fans  After the  7-2  humiliating and disastrous  home defeat by  the Town last season!

01/11/2016 1:05 pm  #2

Re: Match Thread - Chatham Town

"REVENGE !!" 

01/11/2016 2:29 pm  #3

Is a dish best served cold.
So wear your thermals buddy.

01/11/2016 4:11 pm  #4

No Chace tonight he's being rested after taking a knock on Saturday apparently

01/11/2016 4:21 pm  #5

After Chatham Town lost  2 -1 at home to  Carshalton Athletic last Saturday, and the Robins 5-0 thrashing of Walton Casuals last night, the Terrors have been overtaken in the league by Carshalton. Tonight's game becomes even more important.

01/11/2016 10:29 pm  #6

Ran out 4-3 winners. We made tough work of that and that scoreline does not do our performance justice. However it is truthful in one sense

We were utterly dominant today...yet the opposition scored 3 goals which is baffling....their first was a great strike that I can't complain about, and their third a pen that I missed. Their second looked like a defensive / goalkeeper mix up.

Anyway on to the positives, good team performance and we could have scored 4-5 more. In fact a 7-2 reverse of the last season score wouldn't have been unfair. We probably need to be more clinical if we are going to stay in these play off spots, especially if we are going to concede every game.

A special mention to Mike Dixon who was excellent up front, if a little wasteful in front of goal. His hold up play, strength and linking with the midfield runners was first class. Well done to him.

Also, I hope the doubters are beginning to see just what an asset billy dunn is. Must be our top scorer by now?
Jordan was good too. Most players played well, just wish the scoreline could do the performance the justice it deserved.

Cray Saturday will be a good test.

01/11/2016 11:59 pm  #7

Never a dull moment down at Imperial Fields. Why can't we ever  have a comfortable 90 minutes??? Well deserved win though.

02/11/2016 8:49 am  #8

dac123 wrote:

We were utterly dominant today...yet the opposition scored 3 goals which is baffling.....

To answer the above - Yes the first goal was a good strike - but poor defending to allow the shot. The second was yet another cock up by the keeper, he called, Rowe left it as instructed and the ball ended up in the net. How many more mistakes will Pierson make before he gets dropped? Dunstable / Molesey / South Park..... yes he made a good save but that's what he's meant to do. The third goal was a penalty after the forward was held back. The defence needs to get sorted Sol P-B is no right back but Callum Wilson is and sits on the bench!

Agree Dixon played well gave 100% and deserves another go ahead of Bassett. Ollie Bennett was my MOM, played possibly his best game for us so far.

02/11/2016 9:13 am  #9

Pierson is a tricky one.  Yes, he has a clanger in him.  But at the same time, he has won us a lot of points this season.  That great save last night when we were still 1 down probably earned us 3 points.  I doubt we would have won from 2 down.  He also made points winning saves against Horsham and Dorking late in those games.  Then there was the penalty save at South Park when we were 3-2 behind.  So I would say that his ledger is currently in credit.

As for the game last night, it was probably a microcosm of our season so far.  Superb attacking from all areas of the pitch.  We are certainly not 1 dimensional in that respect.  And then the hot knife through butter at the back.  Decent possession and good passing, but still our finishing is below par, despite the amount of goals we're scoring.

Still, an exciting games, and its been a while since we actually had something to play for in the league.  So it makes the wins more satisfying (although it makes the losses more painful!)

02/11/2016 9:45 am  #10

Yet another highly enjoyable match to add to the ever growing catalogue this season. Yet another blistering strike from Billy Dunn who seems to have dynamite in both feet. A richly deserved goal from Man Of The Match Mike Dixon who was superb throughout and thoroughly deserves a run in the side ( he just needs a tad more composure in front of goal ). 

Thanks for clearing up the penalty incident DaveM, all of us at the Bishopsford Road end were completely baffled, nobody in the Chatham side even appealed for it, looked incredibly harsh to me.

02/11/2016 9:48 am  #11

God help us wrote:

Just goes to show how disgusting Dave  ( I get in for free for no reason) McCann is. You have a young keeper who is just 19 ,20 years old and he is learning his trade very well.  He is a quality young keeper and I know for a fact that Leatherhead want him back. Also a lovely lad who deserves more support from everyone.

Very poor comments........

I think you've got the wrong DaveM God......I can call you God can't I ?

02/11/2016 10:00 am  #12

The wrong Dave M???  Whatever happened to god's traditional omnipotence?

I blame Brexit.

02/11/2016 10:33 am  #13

Whenever a mystery poster provides an absolute fact from another club you cam't help but hark back to our Sutton supporting mate.

Another cracking spectacle last night. 
Despite our dominance we really needed that 3rd goal badly to put the game to bed. And when Billy 'twinkle toes' Dunn slotted that home I found myself engaged in some Arsene Weger style double fist pumping. Very odd behaviour.  And then.......
Matt Pierson is still massively in credit for me.  We would be mid table without his saves this season.

Fine performances from all the team.   Nice to see the width back.

Chase is a shining example of how to position your body in advance of contact to hold off an opponent.
But the slighter Ollie B has been criticised on here for being too easily knocked off the ball.
I hope his performance last night puts an end to that.  He frequently nicked the ball off opponents to drive forward and was box to box.

I suspect we would all like to see less holding in the game and if the stance being taken in the PL by (some) refs filters down then good.  If it initially results in many more penalties while players adjust then so be it.
But be consistent please.  Jordan, who gave their left hand side a torrid evening, was held in the box on 2 or 3 occasions in the same move!   Nothing.
Then from very ittle more came their penalty.  Hmm.

Dixon fully deserved a starting position after his 2nd half performance last week and had a great game.  Scoring goals breeds confidence and hopefully he will go on from here.  The chance that hit the post was not blasted but side footed with control.  Unlucky.
Robbo returned and seemed to grew stronger as the game went on.

Serious competition for all places.  Fantastic.

On the injury front, sadly Simmo does not seem to be progressing very well. Still swelling after any minor twice or turn and more investigation required.
However Jake now has a firm date for his operation which will be at the end of this month.

02/11/2016 10:51 am  #14

Bondy wrote:

Whenever a mystery poster provides an absolute fact from another club you cam't help but hark back to our Sutton supporting mate.

I found myself engaged in some Arsene Weger style double fist pumping. 

On the injury front, sadly Simmo does not seem to be progressing very well. Still swelling after any minor twice or turn and more investigation required.
However Jake now has a firm date for his operation which will be at the end of this month.

Firstly, I think we've all jumped to the same conclusion.
Secondly, you really don't want to be mimicking Weger (as you call him) if you wish to retain your street credibility.
Thirdly, I spoke to Tenny Adebowale who says he's on the verge of a return to full fitness.

02/11/2016 11:04 am  #15

Am I not allowed an opinion now? I hope Pierson does improve, but for me he's making too many silly mistakes. I don't see why that is disgusting (Celery is disgusting not a personal view!).

02/11/2016 11:45 am  #16

Celery is rich in Vitamins and Minerals such as Vitamin K and Potassium but on the downside it is among a small group of foods that appear to provoke severe allergic reactions, exposure to which can cause potentially fatal anaphylactic shock**. You have been warned. (** source:- Wikipedia). I once worked with a girl (Anne Kennedy) who hated strawberries.......fcuking weirdo.

Can we now get back to the Chatham game please ?

02/11/2016 12:39 pm  #17

God help us wrote:-"
  Just goes to show how disgusting Dave  ( I get in for free for no reason) McCann"DaveM, Are you the same guy who spent over 50 years as the devoted Voluntary Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer of the Terrors?.

02/11/2016 12:54 pm  #18

MikeM - just to clarify I didn't write that about Dave Mcann and never would. I know how much work he has put in to the club over many many years and he certainly deserves to get in for free for life !

02/11/2016 1:19 pm  #19

I think that Dixon gives us something that we have not had for many a long season: a big, strong center forward.  He can hold off big center backs and, more importantly, head the ball; something that has been lacking in the forward line for years.

Billy Dunn is lethal anywhere around or in the box: why then does he waste so much time trotting around in our half of the field doing nothing?  Leave him up front all of the time and he will score even more goals.  Espeacially as Dixon seems so adept at holding up the ball.

We have a very good squad; but who to pick?  Robinson or Dines?  Bennett or O'Neil?  Bassett or Dixon?  Without a reserve team giving players not currently in the starting lineup games something will have to give.

02/11/2016 1:45 pm  #20

I don't think we'll see Dunn as the main front man.  Obviously the manager like his forwards to harry the defence when they have the ball, like Baxter did, like Bassett did, and actually, a bit like Dixon did.  I can't see Dunn playing that role.

I'm not really sure what position Dunn has been playing in, but I make that 12 league goals (13 if you include the deflection away to Chatham) in 15 games.  So I wouldn't be changing anything in that respect any time soon.

02/11/2016 1:52 pm  #21

A fantastic game.Our back 5 looked as nervous as new born kittens.Ollie and mike Dixon played very well.I was pleased to see Robinson back in starting eleven.I think we love going forward,but some can't be bothered to get back.Does Billy Dunn get average goals?I think the goal Ollie got really helped his confidence,and agree the best game from him.So what changes Saturday? Chace back in,thats for sure.Sol back at centre back,with Callum Wilson coming in???Hope Dixon keeps his place,deserves it.

02/11/2016 3:27 pm  #22

endofthelane wrote:

I don't think we'll see Dunn as the main front man.  Obviously the manager like his forwards to harry the defence when they have the ball, like Baxter did, like Bassett did, and actually, a bit like Dixon did.  I can't see Dunn playing that role.

I'm not really sure what position Dunn has been playing in, but I make that 12 league goals (13 if you include the deflection away to Chatham) in 15 games.  So I wouldn't be changing anything in that respect any time soon.

I am not suggesting that Billy runs around chasing down defenders. What I am suggesting is that he is in and around the box on all of our attacks instead of just chugging up from our own half.

02/11/2016 4:04 pm  #23

1)   "Just goes to show how disgusting Dave  ( I get in for free for no reason) McCann is....."
That's a pretty despicable comment Mr "God etc" - or whoever you are ! 
I would suggest that somebody who hides behind a pseudonym like your goodself should be more careful before chucking aspersions around at other posters before knowing exactly who they are. (I'm pretty sure I know that DaveM IS NOT Mr McCann !) 
As Mike Mein has mentioned on here earlier in the thread, Mr McCann has been a tireless servant of our great club for many many years - what have you done for the club Mr "God etc", apart from moan and whinge on here quite regularly ??

2)  "what an asset billy dunn is. Must be our top scorer by now? "
Indeed he is Mr dac. However, if you bought a programme and had a good old gander through it, or scanned through the Ryman League website you'd notice that "Sir William Dunn" esq. is in fact second only to Hythe's Alfie May (13 goals) in the Ryman South with 12 goals plus another Cup goal for good measure. Next best for us is Taurean Roberts on 5 !

Apologies to "God etc" whoever he/she (begs may be the question "was God a woman" - if of course he/she ever existed apart from in fairy tales) - I do get a bit miffed when I read some of the comments on here - BUT, I do know most of our posters (as they do me) and understand their humour and the nature of their banter. However, there are cases when, well, I give up............. 

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

02/11/2016 4:52 pm  #24

I didn't realise Tooting were playing until I scanned through the football for that evening, mind you I didn't realise the mighty Arsenal were playing that night either (What a thick hunt I hear you say). I know I blame a couple of hectic days at work. Well at the start it didn't look good, the terrors 1-0 down, the super gunners 2-0, o bulls I thought and had something to eat. But the night panned out beautifully with a 4-3 and 3-2 win and if the fourth goal was as good as Ozil's, then the night was complete, nothing could be better.
NO, wait Tottenham losing tonight would crown a loving mid week of football.

Last edited by Routemaster (02/11/2016 5:04 pm)

02/11/2016 5:31 pm  #25

Good point about the rest of the promotion hopefuls.  Everyone else, including the top group, have all lost 3 games or more.  Compare this to last 3 seasons where the champions have lost that amount over the whole season.

At the moment it doesn't look like anyone is going to run away with the league this year, so any team that can go on an extended good run will definitely be in with a shout come April.  I don't really know about other teams, but I would say our squad is as good as any which may prove valuable as injuries and suspensions kick in later on.

Board footera