“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18/1/2017 9:06 pm  #1

Congratulations

Putting rivalries aside,
well done to Sutton United for a great achievement and if my memory serves me correctly did they not played Leeds in the cup many seasons ago.
But again, well done and let us hope you can keep the lower leagues flag flying and showing the armchair supporters their is a game outside the Premiership and it takes place on your doorstep if you just take the time to look.
I understand Paul Doswell told his wife, "if we win tonight you will not see me for a few days"  you deserve it.

19/1/2017 2:09 am  #2

Re: Congratulations

Fair play Alan (Cricket), admittedly when I hear of Sutton and the FA cup the first thing that I think of is this.....good bit of nostalgia and worth watching alone for the old school delivery of regional news' Michael Wale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDdjoz20NuI

As an aside, the above clip being from the long lost 'BBC London Plus', I still know people today who refer to the ITV London news as 'Thames News' 

Last edited by Plumpton (19/1/2017 2:10 am)

1956/1957 season to 2016/2017 season - 60 years of T&M in the Isthmian League, and League Champions

19/1/2017 9:26 am  #3

First things first Plumpton, I'm Cricket, Alan's Ashtree. Ash, I think you're getting mixed up, it was Wimbledon when they were still non-league who played Leeds in the FA Cup. I think they drew at Elland Road courtesy of a Dickie Guy penalty save from Peter Lorimer and then staged the replay which I went to at Selhurst Park in front of a huge crowd (well huge for Selhurst Park anyway) where they were beaten 1-0 thanks to a heavily deflected shot from Eire maestro Johnny Giles (I think it got credited as an own goal).

Can't frigging wait for Saturday, looking forward to buying you a beer Plumpers. Are you going to make it Ashtree ?

Oh yeah, well done Sutton 

Last edited by Bog End Ultra (19/1/2017 9:28 am)

19/1/2017 12:23 pm  #4

I was also at Selhurst Park for the Wimbledon v Leeds game. I had queued for hours at Plough Lane on the Sunday morning after the draw at Leeds to gat a ticket and bought one on a flimsy looking bit of blue paper. These were so easy to photocopy that they were then withdrawn and I had to queue all over again to get a proper ticket.
But Sutton have , like Wimbledon, played Leeds in the FA Cup, losing 6-0 at Gander Green Lane.
Should we be hoping for the same result or supporting non-league ?

19/1/2017 12:28 pm  #5

Good question Jeff.  But I have long been of the opinion that the Conference shouldn't be considered non-league anymore.  The teams in that division have far more in common with 3rd/4th division teams than they do with the Ryman League etc.  Fully professional players, live TV games, crowd segregation etc.  Is that really non-league?.

19/1/2017 12:45 pm  #6

jeffb wrote:

But Sutton have , like Wimbledon, played Leeds in the FA Cup

Thanks for putting me straight on that one Jeff. Apologies to you Ashtree for doubting you in the first place but it completely threw me, the fact that you actually knew something 

19/1/2017 1:35 pm  #7

Indeed a very well done to Sutton United and hopefully further success against Leeds. It is a bit unfair to say Sutton are more league than non-league having only got promotion last season. Lincoln are far more like a league 1/2 team than Sutton and therefore deserve more credit.

19/1/2017 2:26 pm  #8

Scum winning was the lesser of two evils - pleased they won now lets hope for a repeat of the game AFTER the Coventry match !!

19/1/2017 2:35 pm  #9

Bog End Ultra wrote:

First things first Plumpton, I'm Cricket, Alan's Ashtree........

Can't frigging wait for Saturday, looking forward to buying you a beer Plumpers.

Ahhhhh.....apologies.  Ok Mr. Boggs I'll remember that for next time.  Beer where?  In that club bar or before (was told Fretters, Bill, Simon and others meeting at the Richmal Crompton about 13:00).......from memory Bromley has a good bar, but my memory of that won't be very good (London Senior Cup where we got knocked out by Bromley and we had to put up with those annoying kids).....

Watching that clip again, loads is relevant today.  Barry Williams explaining while hosting a WI meeting in the hall, that gate money isn't enough and clubs have their fingers in all sorts of other pies to get through, hall hire, events, etc.  It looks harder work than many give credit for.....

Look forward to Saturday Mr. Boggs......should be a good jaunt : )

1956/1957 season to 2016/2017 season - 60 years of T&M in the Isthmian League, and League Champions

19/1/2017 2:48 pm  #10

Hi! Cricket, I surprised myself with that little bit of history, perhaps I am not suffering from dementia after all.
Yes I will be going Saturday all things being equal, like yourself I can not wait.
Just hope their is no standing water by the corner flag more than a centimetre deep, as it might get called of at 2.45pm again!
Plumpton did you mean "Richard Crompton PH" and if my memory serves me correctly they do not sell proper beer, only that fizzy water stuff.

19/1/2017 6:25 pm  #11

Richmal Crompton is a Wetherspoons opposite Bromley South station. 

I found no decent beer at Bromley's club house last weekend, only fizz on tap and bottled beer at silly prices. 

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

19/1/2017 9:53 pm  #12

DeePee wrote:

Richmal Crompton is a Wetherspoons opposite Bromley South station. 

I found no decent beer at Bromley's club house last weekend, only fizz on tap and bottled beer at silly prices. 

Hmmmm......well, I wonder what we will do regarding the club bar situation.  I could always do my trademark off licence run......

Read that post again from earlier Boggs, I read it as you looking forward to me buying you a pint!  Not the other way round!  Well, I'm sure we will all have a good drink on Saturday.  Might do a bit of research when I get indoors (doing this on phone) to local ale supplies......

20/1/2017 8:58 am  #13

DeePee wrote:

Sounds good to me 

It does beg the question, what the fcuk were you doing in Bromley's club house last weekend ?

Did any of you know that DeePee is a Rastafarian ??? It's an acronym for ' Real Ale Snob That's Always Fcuking After Real Insipid Ale Nightly '

Last edited by Bog End Ultra (20/1/2017 9:53 am)

20/1/2017 11:05 am  #14

Bog End Ultra wrote:

It does beg the question, what the fcuk were you doing in Bromley's club house last weekend ?

Did any of you know that DeePee is a Rastafarian ??? It's an acronym for ' Real Ale Snob That's Always Fcuking After Real Insipid Ale Nightly '

That is brilliant Boggie, a definite 11/10 for effort.  Has anyone tried the Shepherd Neame pub (Bricklayers Arms) nearby?  Admittedly I'm not a SN fan (their stuff a bit hoppy for me) but the pictures of the pub look nice.....

.....mind you with the weather it might be acedemic : 0

20/1/2017 11:11 am  #15

You're too kind Plumpton, I'm embarrassed now 

It might well be academic, I see Woking's game at home to Tranmere has already been postponed due to a frozen pitch !!!

21/1/2017 8:49 pm  #16

I'm embarrassed now

So you bl**dy should be !  

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

23/1/2017 6:41 pm  #17

I see that Sutton vs Leeds is on TV. I don't really mind Sutton as I haven't seen Tooting play them before

24/1/2017 9:46 am  #18

I don't really mind Sutton either although I have seen us play them. The last time was many moons ago in a cup tie at Gander Green Lane, we went in 2-0 down at half-time but came out and whooped their arses to win by 3 goals to 2. It'll need somebody with a much better memory than me to tell you who scored though ! Where's Ian Bullock when you bloody need him ?

24/1/2017 12:35 pm  #19

Was that a midweek game Cricket? I seem to remember somebody running onto the pitch when the third goal went in, a very close and exciting game, like you, unable to remember the scorers, shrouded in a fog of Ale, likewise the managers name escapes me.

24/1/2017 12:52 pm  #20

You 2 have got the combined memory of a forgetful goldfish.

It was 2-2 and it was Chezzer invading the pitch.  And Mark Beard was the manager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zC8ewU0-QQ

24/1/2017 1:20 pm  #21

I am going to channel the spirit of Ian Bullock now...

Ommmm, ommmm, ommmm

The mist is clearing.....I'm seeing a full members cup game in 1993.... I'm seeing us 2-0 down..... I'm seeing BEU kicking the fence and demanding that manager Trevor Ford is sacked...wait-we've scored - it looks like an own goal.... BEU is still not happy..... Hang on - we've equalised - Paul Loughlin has equalised - its all to play for.... BEU claims that Trevor Ford is the best manager we've ever had.....not long left now..... Thommo has scored, Thommo has scored....I'm seeing the ref reaching for his whistle.... and it all over! ... its a brilliant win.....BEU reckons we can go on and win this thing, and that we could be in the football league within 7 years.....its getting misty again....the vision is gone.....Where am I?  I think I need a lie down.

24/1/2017 1:41 pm  #22

Great stuff ! it's all coming flooding back to me now. Apart from the bit about kicking the fence 

Last edited by Bog End Ultra (24/1/2017 2:02 pm)

24/1/2017 2:05 pm  #23

My brain hurts

24/1/2017 2:29 pm  #24

Go and have a nice hot cup of Ovaltine Ashtree.

24/1/2017 3:05 pm  #25

I think you may be right buddy.

Board footera