“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18/3/2017 11:04 pm  #1

Tooting 2 Walton 0

Well we overcame some adversity once again this afternoon. Missing 4 key players in defence, midfield and attack, we were forced into a 1st minute substitution when Alimi was carried off. And this time it was Dines who stepped up to play an impressive role at centre back, especially in the first half.

We were good value for our 2 goal lead at half time although not for the first time this season we were thankful for some fine goalkeeping when it was still goalless.

A calm finish from Dixon showing great confidence in front goal and a brave finish from Clements capped off a great move that started in our left back position.

I thought we lost control of the midfield a bit in the 2nd half, but although they had a couple of decent chances, we had twice ad many up the other end.

And maybe were getting a bit blasé about this winning run, but FOURTEEN wins on the trot is an awesome achievement at any level.  I'd be surprised if any team has matched that over the last few years.

And 30 wins so far. This really is a season to remember. We just need to cap it off with promotion

18/3/2017 11:30 pm  #2

Re: Tooting 2 Walton 0

We showed a lot of character to win that today. Dines was magnificent. Great to hear Bash is okay.

18/3/2017 11:42 pm  #3

Dines outstanding. The fact that his absence didn't derail us earlier in the season is testament to how strong this squad is.

It felt like a game lacking quality today. Perhaps the early injury and lengthy layoff was part of the reason.

I thought Walton were poor, and I thought we were a little slow and complacent, but we got the job done in the end.

You have to give the management credit on just how good some of the signings they've bought in this season have been and how quickly certain players have fitted in and looked comfortable. Dines, Clements, McLaren to name a few.

The sooner we can get Jordan out of defence and into midfield the better though, I think hes a great player but not really the focus to be a RB.

Last but not least it was good to see young Ollie Bennett get some game time. He's young and promising and playing with this squad must be a great learning experience for him. Good to see he didn't disappear when better or more experienced players were chosen in front of him in the last few months. He's technically a good ball player but perhaps lacks the physicality sometimes required at this level, but in the right types of games where there is space in nidfield and we can get the ball down and play, he can be effective. A full strength midfield and he doesn't get in, sure, but still great to have him around the squad and learning from the older heads. He was a large part of some of our earlier success this season too.

Last edited by dac123 (18/3/2017 11:47 pm)

18/3/2017 11:57 pm  #4

I believe the signing of Dines earlier in the season was a turning point in the side becoming much more solid and difficult to beat.  And we saw it again today on his most welcome return to the squad in this crucial period.
No drama just always in the right place at the right time, making good decisions and being effective with the ball.   MOM Chace?  Not today surely.
And why he got booked for that tackle was a mystery to me.  If the referee judged him to be out of control he should surely have got a straight red.

I did not feel the atmosphere ever fully returned after the injury to Bash. Most relieved to know all is well.
Very pleased when the first goal went in. Just starting to get a bit anxious about our control on the game.
Job very well done in the end.  Again.

19/3/2017 6:19 am  #5

Very relieved to get 3 points today.You think about it,Chace was our only central midfielder.When Bash went off I couldn't see us winning.Walton were poor ,and didn't seam that interested,which helped.It was hard to pick man of match,maybe I would have gone for Sol or Eddie.Lets hope we don't have people missing for last few games.So pleased to hear Bash is ok.Great team player to have around.

19/3/2017 7:01 am  #6

Totally agree with this thread. Was there any supporters from Walton? Thought the "Bogenders" choral society was on excellent form as well !!!!

20/3/2017 12:57 pm  #7

The Terrors won under difficult circumstances on Saturday.  The sickening injury to Alimi (Thankfully Ok now) , key players missing at a critical time,  and the adverse weather conditions all played their part in  gaining 3 valuable points. Any points dropped at this stage of the season will be crucial.

After a break of 30 minutes for the unfortunate injury to  Bash lead to  a subdued  atmosphere until the Terrors scored, but still left a heavy cloud over game.  Dines played exceptionally well considering lack of match fitness, and I understand Chace was voted man of the match, which I fully endorse. His display, work rate,  and leadership held the mid-field together, whilst covering a huge amount of ground.  

The wind blowing diagonally across the pitch and favouring the Bishopsfords House end had a huge effect on the game. Both Terrors well taken goals were scored with the wind in the first half , plus a hatful of glorious missed opportunities.   Only the brilliance of keeper Merson kept the Casuals from scoring against us in the first half. Walton had the advantage of kicking with the wind in the second half which strengthened as the game progressed.  Fortunately every time they attacked they were over hitting the ball,  which kept running away  from them and harmlessly out of play.  Tooting lacked any dominance in mid-field during the second period due to the strong winds, although they did have their chances to  increase their lead a few times through the lack of mobility of the Casuals defence.

Another 3 points, a hard graft display, and well done to all the players for contributing to  what was a difficult day

20/3/2017 1:08 pm  #8

Although I agree that Chace played well, a special mention should be made to Ollie Bennett who had possibly his best game for Tooting so far.

20/3/2017 2:35 pm  #9

Could not agree with you more DaveM I was most surprised when it was announced that Chace had won it, Ollie worked his socks off, so not only would he have earned it by right, but also what a confidence booster.
But as we all know, this game is about opinions.

20/3/2017 3:46 pm  #10

alanj wrote:

But as we all know, this game is about opinions.

It's like being married - only one persons opinion counts and it's NEVER mine !!!

Board footera