“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/3/2017 5:17 pm  #1

Horsham 2 T&M 0

A disappointing and disjointed performance on a bumpy pitch. Horsham defended well. And we only looked dangerous when using the width provided by Hoban on the left. An odd decision to take him off.

Last edited by Tartan Terror (25/3/2017 7:09 pm)

25/3/2017 6:07 pm  #2

Re: Horsham 2 T&M 0

Horsham deserved to win.They put pressure on our midfield which made it harder to pass.Dixon was marked out of the game.Dan was very unlucky to hit the post,and who knows if we had scored then we may have improved.

25/3/2017 9:03 pm  #3

There were a few ifs and buts with the post and a late penalty shout, but the fact is we didn't do enough. The work rate was there, but the incision wasn't. They defended well and we just needed to be a bit sharper in and around the box.

And unusually for us I felt that we didn't get as many bodies into the box as we normally do.

Disappointing to see the winning run come to an end but if we can win the next 5 it will all be forgotten!

25/3/2017 9:15 pm  #4

I feel you and I must have been watching a different game Casey, I would hardly say they deserved to win, all they had to offer was hoofing the ball upfield in the hope one of their forwards might to latch onto something.
I feel it was more a case of the conditions did not support a team trying to play football to feet, especially in the first half when passes down either wing to the forwards was invariably carried by the wind to finish up out of play. the second half we started to have more joy but just did not get the rub of the green had, I think it might have been Dan Clements,his shot gone in the result might have been different.
But at the end of the day it has been a good run, the team still have a very enviable record when compared with previous Tooting teams, and they must now forget this result and concentrate on South Park and getting back on track.
I must add I, and fellow supporters behind the goal, felt their were some strange substitutions today with players who were possibly the ones who were causing problems at the back being replaced, while others who were not having the most impressive of performances, staying on the pitch, but what do we know, it must have been for a good reason.

25/3/2017 9:23 pm  #5

Well Alan,how many chances did we create today?Not too many.Horsham had a game plane,and today it worked.Not pretty I admit.Thats why I say they deserved it,not because I'm happy about it.All the things that we do well didn't work very well today.

25/3/2017 9:33 pm  #6

Must agree with you regarding the creating of chances, but that applied to both teams, but I still feel both the conditions and the state of the pitch favoured the home side, they were quite happy to play for a point, getting plenty of bodies behind the ball and we were just not able to break them down.
What I will say is, I know which team I would prefer to watch, week in and week out as I had enough of the "hoofing" style of football as played under mark Hams, pretty it aint, and if that is what it takes to win points, then I would find another form of entertainment on a Saturday.

25/3/2017 10:07 pm  #7

Wedgie has 1 more game ban.I think I agree he's better at free kicks.Our corners and free kicks were bad today.Yes maybe Kevin should have played.Maybe with new child he didn't train much.Dines didn't look comfortable at right back,going forward.Good defender.I like our football,and hopefully we will play at higher level next season.lets hope it's just a blip ,and get back at it Saturday.Have a good weeks training.

25/3/2017 11:21 pm  #8

We have been way way overdue a result like this. The appalling pitch and strong wind ruined the game as a spectacle, but Horsham were slightly less bad than ourselves and deserved the points.
The winning run has been getting more and more attention and maybe putting more pressure on the team, so the winning streak coming to the end might not be a bad thing.
Everybody has a bad day at the office and this was certainly one for us. But we're still in a good position and we can re focus and look forward to what could be a very interesting game next Saturday v Southpark.

26/3/2017 8:52 am  #9

This result makes next Saturdays's game even more significant. Could it all go down to the last fixture to become Ryman South Champions and automatic promotion?

26/3/2017 7:48 pm  #10

27/3/2017 2:18 pm  #11

I am relieved that nobody has gone over the top after this defeat and all seem to agree simply a bad day at the office in difficult conditions after a magnificent run.

I also share both the slight surprise at selection / tactics and the substitutions.
Eddie or Jack for the holding midfield berth seemed to be the question for most before the game so seeing Jordan in centralish midfield was a surprise.
And when Jordan and Chace were being battered and bettered why not simply swap Jordan and Eddie for a bit more midfield muscle?
Oh well, in Frank and Paul we put our trust. Onward and upward on Saturday.

How quickly the pitches change from muddy and soft to firm and bouncy. It seems to happen over just two weeks.  Difficult transition for those that train on artificial surfaces?

Board footera