“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/4/2017 3:59 pm  #1

On the subject of 5 - nils......!!!

In the long history of Tooting & MItcham what has been the most memorable 5 -nils both on the winning and losing side of things without putting a curse on Saturday's game ? 

19/4/2017 4:26 pm  #2

Re: On the subject of 5 - nils......!!!

I've got a good one!  Back in the mid 70s I think we had 2 games left and they were both against Enfield, who I think had already sewn up the title.  The first of those games was at Sandy Lane and we were 5-0 up by half time with Ronnie Howell scoring a hat trick,  He even nicked the ball off Dave Juneman to take a penalty for his 3rd.  As a youngster, I fully expected a 10-0 win, but the rest of the game went down hill and the 2nd half petered out and it stayed 5-0.  

Come to think about it, I think it went down hill for the next 25 years after that.

19/4/2017 6:13 pm  #3

The 5-0 London Senior Cup final against Bromley in 1959-60 played at The Den was possibly our most complete performance - a long time before we won it again. The 5-0 FA Cup 4Q defeat at Windsor and Eton in 1984-85 was as bad as anything  I can recall.  

20/4/2017 7:33 am  #4

0-5 v Stockport County.

I remember Rob Dickinson saying at the next home game "That was the most enjoyable five nil defeat I've ever watched."

20/4/2017 7:57 am  #5

I saw my mum after the Stockport game and she offered me commiserations for what must have been an awful day out.  It was only then that I actually realised that we'd been thrashed!  

A great defeat.

20/4/2017 7:58 am  #6

Has the  first team ever won 5 - nil in any competitions playing at the KNK Imperial fields stadium ? Just interested.

20/4/2017 8:02 am  #7

But surely one of the worst 5-0's (I think it was actually 6-0) was at the end of the Ken Brown days when we lost to Wealdstone and we had to play and outfielder in goal (Charlie Stimson, I think).  One of the worst days in the club's history.

Board footera