“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/6/2017 9:11 am  #1

A bit of pointless speculation

Looking at next season, if we can retain O'Neill, MacLaren and Wilson as our central midfield, we will be competitive.  All three have been successful in this division and above and probably any team would like that group.  Then if you add Clements and Hoban out wide, its a pretty decent midfield.  And with Dunn, Cunningham and Dines, we would have strength in depth.

Its the defence I'm a bit concerned about.  Obviously right back was a problem position for us last year, but the manager covered it pretty well.  And I feel a bit bad criticising two of our players of the year, SPB and Rowe.  Even though they did well last season, I feel that they might struggle with the little bit of extra pace and power that they will be up against in the Premier.  And we never really had any proper back up at centre back either.  Left back was an odd one as both Wedgy and Tenny both stepped up when needed, but I actually like the youngster Nunes who looked to me like he could be a first team player.

The keeper (Merson) is one that I don't have any problems with.  He's a good goalie and won't look out of place in the Premier.

And what about Dixon?  Will his pace and power be enough to unsettle Premier defenders like he did last season?  Will Baxter be back, and would he be good enough for the step up?

Having said that, I wouldn't be too disappointed to see last year's team start the new season - they deserve the chance.  But at the same time, you have to be realistic, and the manager should really be trying to bring in at least 2 or 3 proven players at the next level.  That's the trick - finding good players  that will also fit into the great team ethic that Frank Wilson has built.

06/6/2017 7:33 am  #2

Re: A bit of pointless speculation

Don't forget to add Jake Baxter in to the mix if he's fit.

07/6/2017 9:20 am  #3

Re: A bit of pointless speculation

He didn't forget but he did question whether he'd be good enough.

Board footera