“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/6/2017 11:29 am  #1

Charlie Ten-Grotenhuis

Has been released by Hampton & Richmond Borough. He looked a good young player when on loan with us last season. Can play in defence or midfield. I spoke to his father at one of the home games he played for us and he said that his son was impressed with the set-up and training at T & M. Charlie could be a very good acquisition.
I am getting a little concerned about the  apparent lack of signings. It seems to be that any club going up to a higher level usually needs at least two or three new players. Most or our local Bostik ( !!! ) Premier rivals ( Dulwich, Kingstonian, Leatherhead, Merstham, have all announced new signings and, in some cases, retained lists. There seems to be news about goalkeeping coach, groundsman, kit man etc. but not a lot about players. I have great faith in Frank and Paul but some news soon would be good. !

19/6/2017 11:53 am  #2

Re: Charlie Ten-Grotenhuis

With you all the way jeff. hope there will be some sort of news soon, after all we have released a couple of players & Ashley Robinson going back home to Lincs, so in effect they do need to be replaced

19/6/2017 1:55 pm  #3

I think he would be a decent addition for us.  Someone who can play in midfield and at the back.  And presumably he fitted in with the team ethos while he was here, which I think is a key element of our next phase of team building.

But I'm not concerned about announcements, or lack of them, at this time of the year.  Most players are probably not signing anything binding at this stage, and as we've seen many times, you can have a player who has been with us for the whole preseason, only to disappear before the first league game.  And vice versa.

I thought the player acquisition last season was first class.  I can only really think of one player (no names) who joined us last season, but didn't really improve the team.  And he moved on fairly rapidly.  So I have confidence that the management will bring in the right players.

20/6/2017 10:46 am  #4

Fair point, endo. I think that I am just getting a bit twitchy needing my football fix ( news when no action ) during the summer months !

20/6/2017 3:03 pm  #5

Have to disagree Roger, most teams have been signing up players well before the window opens, I presume on pre contract. I just dont want us to be scrapping the barrel if & when we do need to sign someone.

20/6/2017 3:32 pm  #6

Just had a Facebook conversation with Frank in the USA - Charlie already approached and agreed terms (subject to a trial with Bristol City in pre-season)   

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

26/6/2017 9:37 pm  #7

Just for clarification, the Isthmian League does not accept registrations prior to 1st of July so any announcements of players signed by other clubs are not done deals unless the player has joined the club as a contract player (and even at Isthmian Prem level the majority of players are non contract).
We can probably expect to see announcements once the registration window opens and registrations are completed and/or contracts signed - not before

28/6/2017 5:41 am  #8

Sorry Tim but I have to disagree with your statement that the Isthmian League Premier Division have the majority of non contract players over contract players. Just because our club probably had one or two contracted players does not mean other clubs are the same. You dont have any proof of your statement like I dont have any proof that there were over 60% of contracted players in the Premier Division last season.

28/6/2017 2:52 pm  #9

A case in point comes from that lot down the road.  A couple of weeks ago Gavin Rose announced a group of players who had re-signed for the season - a group that included Ibra Sekajja.  Then earlier this week they announced that he had left/been released.

Last edited by endofthelane (28/6/2017 2:52 pm)

28/6/2017 7:36 pm  #10

Mr 59Roberry, I go on the Isthmian league vidiprinter to get information.. Clubs in the Premier have been signing players on pre contract, as they cannot as yet register them with the league till the 1st July.. Dorking Wanderers have signed 3, Leatherhead have signed 3 or 4, Billericay have signed 6, Merstham have signed a couple, the list goes on. Perhaps you should have a read of it.

09/7/2017 8:32 pm  #11

Seeing Charlie was at the army day meet up on Saturday, at the extreme left of the photo, does that mean he is no longer joining Bristol City and is joining us instead.
Hope so!

10/7/2017 7:57 am  #12

Also, looking at the photo, if you ignore the players that we know have left, it looks as if everyone was there except for Claudio Hoban.  Also, a couple of faces that I don't recognise - next the Billy Dunn and next to Kevin MacLaren.

Last edited by endofthelane (10/7/2017 8:50 am)

10/7/2017 8:39 am  #13

It is all looking promising, but then us fans always enter a season full of optimism, but with the bulk of the squad looking as if they want to stay, nothing is better than continuity and with a few additions who knows where the season might take us.
Looking forward to Saturday.

31/7/2017 10:51 am  #14

Any news about Charlie T-G ? Is he signing ?

31/7/2017 2:07 pm  #15

Just heard that he has signed up for the Bristol Rovers U21 side.  Bad luck for us, but good luck to him.

Board footera