“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/8/2017 11:10 am  #1

What are your expectations for this season?

First of all, I think the manager has done well to fill the two most urgent positions - a right back and another centre back.  So apart from them, we should see a pretty familiar line up on Saturday.  And I presume we'll employ the same tactical approach as we did for most of last season.

I'm also happy for last year's team to get first crack at the Premier division.

I think the manager has a lot of faith in these players and knows what he can ask them to do.  And vice versa, I think the players have bought into the management style.  That relationship is probably easy to manage when your doing well, so it will be interesting if the group will stay tight when the chips are down, as we are likely to have a few more defeats this time around.

Hopefully, this team are good enough to be competitive in most games this season, and even if we didn't bring in any more players I would still hope we could win as many as we lose.  So I think we are capable of holding our own this season and finishing mid table.

Then, I suppose, its down to the manager and if he can bring in better players.  But not just better players - but players who will suit the team.  This is something Frank has done pretty well over the last 18 months, so lets hope he can continue the good work at this higher level.

08/8/2017 3:33 pm  #2

Re: What are your expectations for this season?

I must agree with the sentiments expressed by yourself Endo but my one area of concern has to be the front line, no person in particular but it is easier to score when your opponents do not understand the art of defending and let`s face it, looking at it subjectively
 you would expect the defenders to be more experienced and understand the job they have to do, you only just have to watch Kevin Maclaren to understand where I am coming from.
But our present forwards might surprise us and themselves, I sincerely hope so and just can not wait until the season starts.
Where do I feel we might finish, at this moment I would settle for above mid table, but I do not think either Frank or Paul would as it is obvious they are both ambitious and are not afraid to make a change if is for the benefit of the team, no matter who the player is, just listen to Frank on the touchline.

09/8/2017 4:26 pm  #3

I would take any finishing place above the bottom spot, I don't expect an awful lot, but then I wasn't expecting much last year so let's just hope we are pleasantly surprised again.

10/8/2017 8:50 am  #4

I'm a little bit concerned that we might find ourselves a bit short, not in numbers but in height. Clements, Baxter, Cunningham, Hoban, Adebowale. I remember a few seasons back when we ran out against the Merstham Globetrotters (they had 8 players over 6'10'', that's what it seemed like anyway) and conceded about 5 headed goals in the first 12 minutes (that's what it felt like anyway). Charlie Ten Grotenthingy would have given us a bit of physical presence but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now. 

" Don't just stand there.....GROW "

10/8/2017 9:16 am  #5

as long as we don't get relegated I'm happy,
But saying that I strongly feel we may surprise a few teams this season that might doubt us.
It is clear we might not have the finances like a bill-an-dicky but if Frank builds a good solid team with a strong foundation then we will be ok

I was lost but now im found

10/8/2017 9:18 am  #6

Also to add beating the omelette home and away would be a priority target too lol

I was lost but now im found

10/8/2017 9:22 am  #7

59robbery wrote:

Palace played Merstham - food for thought.
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/crystal-palace-boss-frank-de-boer-praises-merstham-fc-after-thrilling-pre-season-clash/story-30475798-detail/story.html

You could argue that the U23s are hungrier in these matches, but........................

But then East Grinstead beat Margate !!!

13/8/2017 7:00 pm  #8

A good run in the FA Cup would be nice.

Board footera