“The Official Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/8/2017 6:05 pm  #1

Merstham 2 Tooting 2

Anyone confused by the Football Web Pages scores and final result (showing us winning 1-0) - also shown on Bostic League site, final score was 2-2.

Goals from Dixon and Cunningham.

We gave away two goals - a penalty and ball given away on the edge of the box.

But overall I'd say this was a good performance and result. We just about shaded it overall - although they also had some good chances.

Hopefully this will give us some self belief after Tuesday's result.

19/8/2017 7:56 pm  #2

Re: Merstham 2 Tooting 2

I feel the players and management deserve a lot of credit.After losing so badly midweek ,it showed real character to be first to every tackle and unsettle a decent Merstham side. Around this time last season we was playing club's like Godaming, today we went away disappointed we didn't take all three points against another tough to beat Hayden Bird Premier side. I love Hayden and his side always prove very difficult to beat and today he looked fuming at the end of the game.
I think after my first game watching Tooting this season it's great to have last season squad and they all deserve a go at this level after a record breaking league win. Frank and Paul might decide to strengthen as we go into the season. But I do think we have a team we can all get behind at this level.
I do feel we should get Kyle Merson and Mike Dixon on contract if possible.

Last edited by gary walker (20/8/2017 8:13 am)

19/8/2017 9:37 pm  #3

Good game.I wasn't sure wether to go home happy or upset with result.I think we struggled a fair bit in first half.We are trying a different formation,so will take time for the players to get to grips with it.The second half was so mu better.So disappointed that we let lead slip twice,but I think we would settle for a draw.Ken,Eddie and Wedgie had great games.Good to see Mike Dixon back up front.He proved to be a handful.Teams would have given up against us last season,but now at a higher level there is no room for mistakes or people not doing the jobs set them.lets go Tooting.
Clive.

19/8/2017 9:55 pm  #4

Keeping things in perspective, this Merstham team are certainly not as good as the team we met   the last time playing at the "Moatside", and certainly were nothing approaching the quality of Staines on Tuesday night, but the game was pretty even with both teams having chances and I feel we were unlucky not to come away without three points, once again sloppy play in defence cost us the win, when will players learn  to just clear their lines when the situation requires instead of trying to dribble out of the box and getting caught with the ball.
I felt sorry for "Wedgie" again today, when will players learn to look to the left wing for a get out ball, time again he was calling for the ball when in acres of space, just to be ignored, this is not the first time this has happened and I hope the management bring this to the midfield players attention because he expends so much energy in what turn out to be fruitless runs.
Overall I was pleased for the team, who must have been shell shocked after Tuesday night, thankfully they will not meet many teams as good as Staines, but today they appeared to grow in confidence as the game progressed but I still feel we need a bit more bite up front, Dixon was his usual industrious self and was a constant thorn in the opponents side, just wish I could say the same about Billy Dunn, he seems to have a very casual attitude, playing in very short bursts without too much emphasis on bursts, but hopefully he will realise that at this level a higher workrate is required or his place might be in jeopardy.

19/8/2017 10:22 pm  #5

Well I was happy with the overall performance today. We were competitive throughout and we defended well when we had to and attacked well when we had the chance. Plenty to work on though. We have to think a bit quicker in midfield as we just aren't going to get much time this season.

We are going to see a lot of games like this where neither side will dominate for 90 minutes - we just have to make sure that we score when we're on top but hang in there when we're under the cosh.

I didn't see the Staines game but I'm happy with the performances so  far.  But at the same time I'd like to see a slow improvement over the next couple of months.

19/8/2017 11:10 pm  #6

alanj wrote:

Keeping things in perspective, this Merstham team are certainly not as good as the team we met   the last time playing at the "Moatside", and certainly were nothing approaching the quality of Staines on Tuesday night, but the game was pretty even with both teams having chances and I feel we were unlucky not to come away without three points, once again sloppy play in defence cost us the win, when will players learn  to just clear their lines when the situation requires instead of trying to dribble out of the box and getting caught with the ball.
I felt sorry for "Wedgie" again today, when will players learn to look to the left wing for a get out ball, time again he was calling for the ball when in acres of space, just to be ignored, this is not the first time this has happened and I hope the management bring this to the midfield players attention because he expends so much energy in what turn out to be fruitless runs.
Overall I was pleased for the team, who must have been shell shocked after Tuesday night, thankfully they will not meet many teams as good as Staines, but today they appeared to grow in confidence as the game progressed but I still feel we need a bit more bite up front, Dixon was his usual industrious self and was a constant thorn in the opponents side, just wish I could say the same about Billy Dunn, he seems to have a very casual attitude, playing in very short bursts without too much emphasis on bursts, but hopefully he will realise that at this level a higher workrate is required or his place might be in jeopardy.

Sorry but just have to disagree about billy. I thought he was excellent today and I thought he was excellent
In our first game (no one was excellenct vs staines).
He was creative, in the box when he needed to be, won a lot of headers from Kyle's kicks, and generally one of our better players today.

He got a lot of stick for leaving for greenwich (rightly so) and he got a lot of stick for coming back and playing 'ok' on his return til the end of the season. He wasn't as good as before he left. Even I would admit that.

Yes he gave the ball away today which cost us the second goal, and I think he would admit to that himself! BUT I thought he was at his industrious best today and created A LOT of problems for the oppositiion defence. If you want a player that runs around constantly for 90 that's not billy, but when he gets the ball he is bloody strong, and brings players into the game incredibly well. He also has a knack of popping up in the opposition box at crucial times and he had a header and a couple of shots which are unlucky not to be the winner!

His languid style is just the way he plays. Look past it, please. offensively he is very important to this team.

20/8/2017 7:44 am  #7

I also see that Staines beat Craig Edward's K's yesterday 5-0. K's beat Billericay so maybe Tuesday wasn't that surprising after all ?
I really enjoyed yesterday's game and maybe we can get a win on Saturday.

20/8/2017 8:11 am  #8

Grhhhh, I had looked yesterday at the one nil away win result thinking we had carved out our first top flight win which had moved us mid table at that time. Still more encouraging from the reports I've read and Kingstonian took a drubbing from Staines like we did. Still early days.

20/8/2017 11:41 am  #9

Be interesting to see how our squad copes with the Saturday and Monday games in quick succession, especially as the Monday is our big old rivals!

20/8/2017 12:18 pm  #10

20/8/2017 2:59 pm  #11

Sorry dac123 but I am yet to be convinced that Billy is the person to wear our no. ten shirt, as we all know, football is a game of opinions and I feel we require every man to put in a shift now we are at a higher level,  but he might surprise me yet!
I just wish that when he loses the ball he would try and get it back instead of just shrugging his shoulders, last season we could afford his languid style, as you put it, but not at this level, but as I said, hopefully he might surprise me yet.

21/8/2017 10:31 am  #12

alanj wrote:

Sorry dac123 but I am yet to be convinced that Billy is the person to wear our no. ten shirt, as we all know, football is a game of opinions and I feel we require every man to put in a shift now we are at a higher level,  but he might surprise me yet!
I just wish that when he loses the ball he would try and get it back instead of just shrugging his shoulders, last season we could afford his languid style, as you put it, but not at this level, but as I said, hopefully he might surprise me yet.

That is indeed the beauty of forums and debate - it's all opinion and i respect yours!

I guess the player in question will or will not do the final talking

21/8/2017 12:17 pm  #13

I think you're both wrong, I don't feel he was excellent nor overly casual, just satisfactory.

What a difference Mike Dixon made !! now I thought he really was excellent.

I found it quite reassuring to see K's spanked by Staines, I was shell-shocked walking out of there on Tuesday. I think Staines will be up the sharp end all season.

22/8/2017 9:20 am  #14

I am in the Alan's camp regarding Billy. He clearly has talent but I feel he is self indulgent and doesn't do the simple thing quickly enough. I think one thing Staines game showed was how well they moved the ball quickly whereas we dwelt and consistently handed over possession. On the night Chace was also afflicted although to be fair it was a bad night all round and whoever had the ball did not have many options. On Saturday it culminated in a loss of 2 points when we (Billy) lost the ball on the edge of our area and were punished. At this level we need to be more professional - I think we will be ok at this level but only if we move the ball better. Against Brightlinsea and Mertsham I think it should be seen as 4 points dropped as these are the sides we have to beat. I think there is room for Billy and he can be an asset but only if he is read the riot act and ups his game for the team cause.
My Man-of-the- Match was Eddy who got better and better as the game went on. Also great to see Mike back causing havoc.

22/8/2017 9:52 am  #15

Welcome to the forum Ben.  I think a lot of the players are guilty of taken a bit too long to decide what to do.  But I think that side of things will improve as we get used to the pace of the Premier Division.  And in addition, you have to have the players that are not on the ball making themselves available a split second earlier as well.

22/8/2017 10:17 am  #16

Agreed - I think there is potential to step up and I am definitely optimistic.

Board footera