“The Official Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/9/2017 6:29 pm  #1

Tooting 2 Merstham 0

Well worth our win today. I thought our shape, tactics and delivery were spot on.

For the first 20 minutes we looked a bit nervous - which I guess wasn't a big surprise after recent results. Joe Tupper in goal saved us from going behind with a great one on one save after we had given the ball away needlessly in our own half.

Just before the interval Chace scored with an excellent half volley from the edge of the box. This followed on from a great save by their keeper from the lively Danny Bassett.

The second half was very much ours with Jake Baxter finishing off one of a number of chances to make it 2-0. Mike Dixon worked hard but looks short of confidence - not helped by being caught offside on too many occasions.

Omar Folkes looked a handful when he came on - although a bit short of match fitness.

A final word on the performance of Eddie Dines - head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch in terms of positional sense. Breaks up the opposition play time and again followed by unfussy distribution to his teammates. Absolute class.

Last edited by 59robbery (02/9/2017 8:45 pm)

02/9/2017 7:59 pm  #2

Re: Tooting 2 Merstham 0

Excellent performance from the boys today. Apart from the one moment when they squandered a one on one, we looked pretty comfortable throughout. Thought Eddie Dines was outstanding and new signing Omar Folkes looks a real handful. Looks like a beast t of a player.

We now need to replicate this sort of performance in the league.

Last edited by Fretters the Second (02/9/2017 8:00 pm)

02/9/2017 9:51 pm  #3

I thought the game was very scrappy with too many passes going astray, either side could have won but we took our chances whereas they did not, i would be disappointed if we do not finish above them in the league considering the seasons they have been in it.
My pick of the best of our players would be, Quincy, Eddie, and McNaughton, true we will meet better forward lines, but all three were absolutely solid and let us hope we can now start to believe that we can compete in this division, we will not win it but then I did not think we would.

Last edited by alanj (02/9/2017 9:53 pm)

02/9/2017 10:21 pm  #4

Couldn't  make the game today, sounds like an improvement  on last Saturday. Was Merson injured?

03/9/2017 12:32 am  #5

Merson was indeed injured. His back I think.
Fully agree about the stand out performance (again) by Eddie Dines.  Just always in the right place.

However.....how poor were Merstham, both individually and collectively?
Just a shadow of the side we played only a few weeks ago. Very odd.

Yes, our strikers are taking a little time to come to the boil. But at least they are not shrinking away from taking a pot shot at goal when it is on.   And from that will come goals. 
Billy, Danny, Mike and Chace all let rip.
Onward and upward.

03/9/2017 9:27 am  #6

Well it's a long road to Wembley,but at least we are still on the road.Lets hope this win will give us confidence to turn this into league wins.Did we do a man of the match?I agree Eddie Dines was mine.I think Ian gave it to Quincy in the paper.First half there was a lot of stray passes by both teams.Merstham should have taken the lead,and who knows what would have happened if they had.Chace's goal just before half time us a lift,and I thought second half played very well.Excited about new striker.So do we think Sol is going to stay at right back?No complaints from me.Thought Danny Clemence played well,very dangerous when he runs at defenders.

03/9/2017 4:55 pm  #7

Casey, We only have an official "Ramble Inn Man of the Match" at League games - Yours to sponsor for only £25 ! (Ad over) 

03/9/2017 5:06 pm  #8

Ok Deepee I will do one game but I'm afraid we will play a Rubbish game.I don't why we can't still have cup man of the match.

03/9/2017 6:33 pm  #9

Casey...'Well it's a long road to Wembley,but at least we are still on the road.Lets hope this win will give us confidence to turn this into league wins.Did we do a man of the match?I agree Eddie Dines was mine.I think Ian gave it to Quincy in the paper'.

Well if you can find it in the non league paper you are a better man than I gunga din!!

03/9/2017 9:26 pm  #10

Eddie was magic in midfield.  But I did think it was one of Quincy's best games for us.  He was outstanding.

And what a debut it was for Omar.  He looks an absolutely beast. 

I do think we need some company for Dixon up front.  I would like to see Billy play further forward. His tendency to come deep for the ball like Rooney always did for England is a bit of a waste as his real strength is his eye for goal. 

Anyway much improved.  Season starts here!!

04/9/2017 11:42 am  #11

04/9/2017 12:10 pm  #12

We were superb saturday. A little stiffled in the first half, but Chace's goal just before half time gave us some much needed confidence and we went from strength to strength in the second half. 

Like others have mentioned earlier in this thread, i was surprised at how poor Merstham were. But maybe that's because we tactically got it spot on and stifled their potential creativity?

Quincy Rowe, Chace and Eddie were stand out performers. The goalkeeper was assured as well, with his first few minutes save an excellent stop. Who knows what would have happened to us had we conceded that early on? Such a knock to confidence. Great save. Thought Tennie was tenacious and hard-working at left back too. Callum also worthy of a mention, he's looked a bit wobbly for us at times, but he's a new player to our team and system so maybe it takes time to settle - only fair. Thought him and Quincy were excellent together... 

When Kevin is fit I wouldn't be against a midfield three of Eddie, Kevin and Chace. (Assuming a 4-3-3 or 5-3-2). You'd like to think we would be defensively solid although we might struggle creatively with two holding midfielders. 

Great win and hope we can build on it. If nothing else the prize money for winning an FA cup tie is obviously welcome. 

last but clearly not least - Omar Folkes was outstanding for the 20 or so minutes he got. An already tired Merstham defence could not handle his strength and power and he made sensible decisions on when to run it down the corner to waste time and when to drive forward to present an opportunity. I've been told he blows hot and cold at times, but if that's him hot then i'd love to see more of that. Fitness wise whether he can keep that up for 90 minutes or whether he'll be employed as a 'super-sub' is probably a question for me. I doubt we'll play 2 out and out strikers much this season. 

Well done Terrors, great win. 

Board footera