“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/9/2017 10:12 am  #1

Home Tonight vs Merstham

Anyone know what cup this is? Don't recognise the Velocity tag. 

Also what sort of strength we are likely to field? First team fringe or strong side? 

19/9/2017 10:27 am  #2

Re: Home Tonight vs Merstham

The Velocity Trophy is the new name for the League Cup.  I think I read on the Facebook page that it is likely to be a mix of 1st team and U23s.

19/9/2017 10:41 am  #3

Todays game is a League Cup match. The payers will be a mixture of first team and U23 players

19/9/2017 11:39 pm  #4

Sadly, although I saw a few Wednesday afternoon Academy games last season, I don't get down to see the games at this (U21/U23) level.  It appears from tonight's performance that I have been missing a treat.

Quite sensibly the side featured three experienced senior players with Callum and Wedgie at the back plus  Jordan in midfield.
Callum demonstrated his safe return from concussion watch with a clattering headed challenge in the first 10 mins. And Wedgie marshalled the extremely promising Isiah Jones in front of him down the left.

Our youngsters produced an entertaining display of physical endevour and innovative attacking over the first 30 mins. Then what looked an almost full strength Merstham side began to have more success with their probing that required a really sharp double side by our keeper just before half time.

They scored first but we got an equaliser from persistence by our very strong No 9 who battled manfully up front and held the ball up really well.

Just as it seemed as if we might get swept away later in the 2nd half we had another purple patch when the opposition got a big ragged with the excellent Serg Zamara constantly nicking the ball away in midfield.

Sadly, although we got the draw, penalties proved to be our undoing.
Shame but all very promising.

As I was leaving the bar the opposition manager congratulated me/us on the fine efforts of our youngsters.
And quite right to.   Thanks.
Doubtless the stand was full of scouts, as usual at these sorts of games. And Steve A told me  at least one is currently having trials with a League 2 club. But, for the moment at least, they are with us and I congratulate our coaching/scouting set up.

I look forward to seeing more games at this age group.

Last edited by The Administrator (20/9/2017 5:43 am)

20/9/2017 8:13 am  #5

Glad you enjoyed it Bondy - next home game for the U23s is Thursday when they take on East Grinstead Town at 7:30pm - and admission is Free!

20/9/2017 8:20 am  #6

Thanks Tim, please feel free to advertise games For any Tooting and Mitcham United FC side on this forum.  After last night I am sure more fans will support them.

20/9/2017 9:50 am  #7

I strongly second the opinion given by Bondy above. What an enjoyable evening and I was so impressed by our youngsters. 

I don't know a lot of names so i won't attempt to name them, but the left winger (right footed with green boots) was outstanding and gave their right back all sorts of problems. Dominic M-G was also instrumental in the midfield. Our no.9 Elijah was strong and powerful and based on that we have three really physical strikers that are capable of playing in the first team - Mike, Omar and Elijah. He took his goal well. 

What struck me most was how little fear this team played with. Perhaps it's because they are young and not tainted by "first team pressure" football, or maybe they are just a fearless new breed coming through. The other thing that struck me is the technical ability and pace they play with. The game honestly seems like a quicker pace than our first team games at times!

Last but not least to see the arguably full strength Merstham line up and our young stars, I thought there would only be one clear outcome with Merstham comfortable winners. It was anything but that and we had the lion's share with possession without troubling their goal enough. To give them their due (Merstham) they hit our bar twice in their stronger spell at the end of the first half. 

It was encouraging to see Frank and a lot of the first teamers come and watch the end of the game after their training session which took place on the 3g pitch behind the back of the stadium. All seemed relaxed and well integrated in the stand whilst watching the shoot-out. Despite our first team's poor start, I got a nice warm fuzzy feeling that a lot of this squad are very tight and brotherly with eachother. This is to be expected given we remarkably kept almost the entire squad from last year, but it was great to see and gives me hope that we'll consolidate our position in the Ryman Prem (i.e. we won't go down - very confident of this). 

A great day for me and felt proud to be associated with this club and see what the future might hold with our youngsters. I still think the gap between this level and the first team is sizeable, but i got encouragement that the next leve down (u23s) are doing everything they can to be noticed by Frank and co. 

Congrats to all and just unfortunate the penalties didn't go our way. 

Board footera