“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/10/2017 6:54 pm  #1

Terrors 2-1 Tonbridge

Wow! A real benchmark game, passed with flying colours. They were a very decent side with a great home record(impressed that their supporters were all mutes, relying on a dick with a drum to occasionally remind us that they were there).
Amazing bog end support and great to see how much the players clearly appreciated it at the end.

21/10/2017 9:08 pm  #2

Re: Terrors 2-1 Tonbridge

Once again a stellar performance from the team and beginning to show signs that they believe they can compete at this level. I am not saying we are now going to storm up the table but with the recent performances, we are proving we can survive.
Our goal at times led a charmed life with several goal line clearances, but the defence played as if their lives depended on it showing character and resolve, Matt once again showed his class and I only hope that, from a selfish perspective, he does not receive offers from clubs above as he is an important cog in our big wheel.
The midfield once again fought for every ball and created several chances which, with a little more luck could have seen us win by a less close margin, the score had all the bog enders biting their nails during the last five minutes added on by the ref and I am sure I was not alone in thinking back to Billericay and hoping the team does not get robbed again.
Despite the best efforts of the referee the lads got the result they deserved and once again it was no fluke, just hard work and a belief in themselves.
Only two instances put a dampner on the result, both Omar and Dominic limped off let us hope they can both be fit for Tuesday as yet another hard game is envisaged.
Well done lads you made us very proud, again!

22/10/2017 12:04 am  #3

Gutted I weren't there today. Work always seems to get in the way of decent away days for me recently (Brightlingsea aside). Sounded like a great day. I actually felt I was there. Well done to Frank, Paul and the lads today. A big test against a decent side with a good home record, and we've turned them over.

No time to rest on our laurels though. Another tough test awaits on Tuesday against a Folkestone side, who smashed five past Leiston away from home today.

22/10/2017 8:51 am  #4

I could have not felt more proud of the team.Its great to see a comfortable win,but believe me this was nowhere near comfortable.We really had to dig in.Again every one played there part in the victory.No room for carrying players.I hope all the players are fit for Tuesday,a couple limped off.I would think they all have sore limbs.I heard that Dunn was injured,but not sure.

22/10/2017 9:07 am  #5

This was just as impressive as the Brightlingsea game but in a different way. Against Brightlingsea we bossed the game for 90 minutes and didn't give them a sniff. But in this game it was Tonbridge who had the upper hand for long periods.  So we were on the back foot a lot and had to work harc on tackling and closing down. But at the same time we did manage to maintain an attacking threat.  Tonbridge had more corners than us and had half a dozen free kicks just outside the box but actual clear cut chances were prevented. Not that we had that many chances and I think their goalie only made 1 save - and that ended up in the net with their magnificent own goal.

So an excellent effort where we showed that we can dig out a result even if we're not all over the opposition. There will be plenty more games this season whenwe are under the cosh but we have shown that we are capable of dealing with that.

22/10/2017 12:37 pm  #6

Tonbridge will be in the play-offs this season they are a really good quality team, and the sustained pressure,  chances and weather conditions reflects on a heroic performance by the Terrors. There was a large number of fans who travelled to the match and the main group behind the goal were inspiring with their constant singing and chanting. There were  also a good scattering of Terror fans around the remainder of the ground.

Clearly Tonbridge could have won this match by a hatful. Tonbridge were relentless with constant dangerous crosses, balls flashing across the face of the goal, desperate goal line clearances and wonderful saves by keeper  Pierson.  All of this was held together by my man of the match Quincy Rowe.
After going 1-0 down through a brilliant strike by Angels, Turner, although Pierson slipped when making an effort to save, the Terrors struck back within 3 minutes.   An excellent piece of attacking football down the left flank and into the penalty area, was finished off with a great angled strike by Folkes.

The Terrors battled on which at times looked like a hopeless task. The Angles were getting desperate and every incursion into the Terrors penalty area was meet with desperate appeals for a penalty when tackled.  However I would say the referee had an excellent game, especially when he turned down two good calls for a penalty (One in each half), most refs would have given the home team the advantage.  Also he was not helped by some strange decisions by the Linesmen. In  defence of the 5 minutes of added time, both team used all their subs, and there were a number of stoppages in the second half which required physio treatment.  He gave 5 minutes and he blew his whistle exactly on time.
Winning Two tough away games on the bounce, has given the team some confidence at this level. They are still short of 3/4 squad members who can hold their own in the Bostik League.  But all the Team deserve praise for their battling efforts yesterday.

22/10/2017 4:35 pm  #7

22/10/2017 5:19 pm  #8

.......... on me 'ead John !  

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

22/10/2017 5:54 pm  #9

Great string of results. Well done lads.

22/10/2017 8:07 pm  #10

Like the majority of the Bog Enders behind the goal, "excellent game" is not how the referee was being described Mikem, very one sided with his decisions, as for the penalty shouts it was difficult to tell from the other end.
Can not disagree that we rode our luck at times, but that is sometimes how games are decided, overall as I have said on an earlier posting, we got what we deserved purely for the guts`y performance and never say die attitude.

22/10/2017 9:15 pm  #11

Matte Pierson was outstanding again yesterday. He’s a much better keeper in this spell than he used to be. And I mean in the other areas of his game. He’s always been a good shot stopper, but his kicking, catching and distribution all appear to have improved. Outstanding again.

Dominic Morgan Griffiths again looked excellent in midfield. When you think we were again playing without a natural defensive midfielder (Eddie was at right back) it’s impressive the work him and Chace do in the midfield. 

Playing Mike and Omar together is helping our cause, especially when we are under the cosh, a hopeful clearance or a more targeted ball up field Now has two strong strikers to keep it from coming back again...at least not immediately.

Very impressed with the grit and determination yesterday. The first goal was lovely play involving Sandy.

No billy dunn, Kevin McLaren, Sol PB and dan Clements yesterday. All injured/unavailable I hope (rather than left the club). Sol was there so that answers that one.

23/10/2017 8:12 am  #12

I felt so nervous towards the end and so keen to shout my encouragement to our warriors that for a second I almost found myself joining in with Bog End Tim's tedious " MITCHAM, Tooting, MITCHAM, Tooting " chant. Fortunately for me somebody (Harry or Matty I think) started that " We're sniffing glue in the Bostik League " song and I was able to vent my anxiety and keep my sanity (If I ever had any) at the same time. Stupendous result.

A word on Tonbridge's award winning matchday Programme......Fantastic, the best I've ever seen at this level.

I'm still buzzing.

23/10/2017 8:42 am  #13

Saturday was an amazing win. I believe that Tonbridge will make the play offs and to win away there is unbelievable.

​The Bog End were amazing again and made all the noise as I could hear from the goals video on youtube and from behind the goal. There were so many Terrors there, probably +100. 2 new great songs, Dulwits going bust and sniffing glue in the Bostik League.

​My man of the match was Sandy, he played really well on and off the ball. The non league paper give Callum man of the match, the whole team played really well again.

Cant wait for Tuesday against Folkestone. See you there

23/10/2017 10:30 am  #14

Agree about Pierson.  He's looked a lot more assured under the high ball.  One of our recent achilles heels has been the long throw, but against Brightlingsea he just caught evrything that came in.  And against Tonbridge, there were a lot of free kicks and corners which came into the box and he looked calm and claimed everything he came for.  The decision making has to be good in those situations.  If you decide to come and get it then you must get it!  Or you decide to leave it to the defenders.  And I think he's been excellent in this aspect of his game recently.

And if Merson regained fitness tomorrow, I'd still be picking Pierson for the next game.

23/10/2017 11:55 am  #15

AlanJ, The referee had an excellent game,  I was not standing behind the goal 100m from the penalty shout action, I can assure you the two critical shouts were legitimate, a weaker ref would have given them.  Also he ignored the many shouts for free kicks from Angels players.  He was giving the Terrors their free kicks when warranted, and you only had to  listen to the ironic jeers from the Tonbridge fans when a free quick went their way. The ref is always under pressure from home fans, he did a great job under difficult circumstances, including the difficult playing conditions.

23/10/2017 8:12 pm  #16

I beg to differ along with many other people Mikem, but that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I do agree with your comments regarding the decisions he has to make, either way he will not make many friends but it would be nice to have more correct than incorrect decisions.

25/10/2017 4:26 pm  #17

Board footera