“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/12/2017 5:32 pm  #1

Dear Santa

Can we PLEASE have a defence for Christmas.....

02/12/2017 6:03 pm  #2

Re: Dear Santa

How about some forwards as well, ours seem to have gone off with the fairies.

02/12/2017 6:12 pm  #3

I've we defended a corner it would be a miracle...

All I want for Christmas is a win against the scum on Boxing Day and a defence

02/12/2017 6:26 pm  #4

alanj wrote:

How about some forwards as well, ours seem to have gone off with the fairies.

LEGO, that's what I'm asking for. I can build a defence out of plastic bricks that could defend better than the pile of crap that I saw today Alan.

02/12/2017 7:41 pm  #5

Can I have a bung for my half full glass please Santa. It seems to have sprung a leak and is draining away. 

That was really quite poor.
My overriding concern is how long it took the team to simply pass the ball between them a few times.
I was not looking for anything too complicated. Just receive the ball, control it, move away from the opponent and pass it on to a teammate, hopefully someone showing a degree of attacking intent.
To achieve that took until nearly the end of the 1st half.

Instead we saw the ball simply lumped forward or a player would opt to run with it - and then lose it.

Still, we lost by 3 goals to a very good side.  Err, no.   As poor as we were they looked decidedly average throughout the 1st half until sufficiently encouraged by our mediocrity to simply jump for the ball at two corners.

If some of the budget has been freed by the recent departures then we will need to shop wisely.
But who would want to join us at the moment?  Surely not a player in the starting 11 of a team above us in the division.  And that is the level of player all supporters are looking for.
Ho Hum.

Last edited by Bondy (02/12/2017 7:43 pm)

02/12/2017 9:20 pm  #6

I'm losing faith and desire to watch this excuse for football. We are playing lump it forward football as we were when Mark hams was at club. We can't string 3 passes together at the moment. I hate to think what Dulwich will do boxing day. I think a hard decision upstairs needs to be taken. Sorry.

02/12/2017 10:29 pm  #7

barnsy1965 wrote:

I'm losing faith and desire to watch this excuse for football. We are playing lump it forward football as we were when Mark hams was at club. We can't string 3 passes together at the moment. I hate to think what Dulwich will do boxing day. I think a hard decision upstairs needs to be taken. Sorry.

Whilst the results clearly aren't good enough, I reckon there's one person who realises it most and that's Frank. Obviously the results are hard to take but we are lucky enough to have a talented manager who blessed us last season. Much like the struggle to get players good enough in, how would we get a new manager better?

02/12/2017 11:08 pm  #8

What did really worry me was the lack of any passion or even anger at the end... As if people players and fans just shrugged their shoulders and thought f*ck it.
Most of us knew that the step up into the next level could be hard... Don't think anyone guessed it would be this bad.

03/12/2017 9:20 am  #9

Gary I do not believe for one minute that any of us thought any different regarding how important Pauls influence was on the team, this is what is worrying me now, as we all remember the other season we had a severe defeat against Chatham, at home, Paul arrived and our fortunes changed until we arrived where we are now.
I am not doubting Franks ability but I do worry if he has the right credentials, or even a budget, to get us out of the position we find ourselves in at present.
Bondy`s last paragraph hit the nail on the head and I could not agree more.
What is most frustrating this season is, how can we play so well as we did last week at Leiston, or our two games against Billericay, then so poorly the next game looking like a team of individuals who have just met each other that day.

Gary two things I would say to you,
1) are you the publicist for Hayden Bird.
2) real supporters do not turn their back on a team during the bad times, we take it on the chin, get ourselves up, dust ourselves down and turn up for the next match with a renewed optimism.

03/12/2017 9:30 am  #10

Looks as if the only saving grace from yesterdays results was that Worthing didn't pick up any points......but is it only a matter of time?

03/12/2017 10:20 am  #11

What Lowestoft did well yesterday, and what was totally beyond us, was playing simple balls/ passes early, and have a team in which all of the players were not frightened to head the ball.

Our midfield in particular keep trying to do the spectacular dribble in to clusters of defenders instead of just laying off an easy ball to someone unmarked on the touchline; trying to execute flash little flicks instead of an easy pass to a player in space.

I have not seen a team in this division, or the one lower, where a team is bloody useless in the air.  Our players outside of the back four just seem avoid all contact with the head at all costs.  What is this all about?  Does anyone know? Teams playing us know that we do not head and this makes their center backs job so much easier.

03/12/2017 11:25 am  #12

They had a big lump up front who held the ball up well,and put pressure on every high ball.2 poor teams.The game should have been 0-0 or 1-1,but our inability to defend corners has been our undoing all season.we don’t have a midfielder or forward that can either mark a player or mark space.The space at or near post is never covered.We have some one on the line but not in the space in front of 6 yard box.I totally agree with Ev,that we just run into a crowd.The problem maybe is that the player with the ball dose not seam to have many options,because our players all run away.When Dom and Wedeworth linked up on the left we looked ok and got some good crosses in,and scores from such a move.I do fear for our survival I must admit.We can’t give goals away like we do to not very good teams.clive

03/12/2017 3:54 pm  #13

I thought I'd give it 24 hours of reflection before posting as I was very disappointed with the game yesterday. But actually the 1st half wasn't as bad as the 2nd. Their 1st goal, although a header from a corner had a touch of fortune about it. A header from that area wouldn't normally hit the target but it floated into the corner and even our player on the far post had no chance to stop it.

Then we started the 2nd half well and scored an excellent goal and I felt that we would go on to win it. But their 2nd goal was awful. We had 2 players on the post and nobody at the front of the 6 yard box. So you basically had all of their players attacking the 6 yard box at pace such that there didn't even need to be a good connection to get the ball over the line.

For some reason our defence don't seem to have the commitment or strength to get to the set piece delivery 1st. And in this case there was a poor set up in the 1st place.

But more disappointing than that was how our heads dropped after that. Any semblance of teamwork that we had before just seemed to evaporate. Suddenly we were a bunch of individuals. We started shooting from miles out and leaving the defensive responsibility for their team mates. We just watched their guy take an age to put the 3rd one away.

The 4th and 5th were absolute disasters but I wonder if we'd have made those mistakes if our minds were still fully focussed at , say, 1-1.

And there was nothing the manager could do about it. We had nobody on the bench who could shake things up or change the game.

We obviously need a couple of New players. Although Fadahunsi did well yesterday I don't want him as the regular right back this season. And I don't think we can afford to play Rowe and Patterson-Bohner at centre back together again. They are just not doing the job this season.

We could do with improvents in all areas of the park, but we are scoring 1 or 2 per game so that side of things are probably ok for now.

Obviously the manager has attempted to sort out central defence bringing in McNaughton and Flegg as well as Debayo a while ago. And it sounds like we tried to get Vilcu as well.

So the manager does seem to know there is a problem there but he hasn't been able to solve it yet.

But it was the attitude after going behind that was even more disappointing as it looks like our self belief has gone. And that might be even harder to fix.

Last edited by endofthelane (03/12/2017 3:55 pm)

03/12/2017 4:11 pm  #14

To be honest I don't think Lowestoft were very good and they beat us 5-2... We need an established Right back that's as good as Tom Jelly and more experience in the team. The communication has been poor and we need to improve or we will be playing Chipstead and Molesley next year

Board footera