“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/12/2017 10:31 am  #1

Something to Celebrate

For all you fanatical Terror fans  who have witnessed the dreadful performance slump  so far this season, there is something at least for you to  celebrate.  2017/18 season represents  130 years since the formation of our founder team   Tooting Graveney FC (1887), who played all their early matches on Figges Marsh.  Without the existence of this team there  would not be a Football team to  support.  They had the foresight and responsibility of purchasing the Sandy Lane site, which enabled the club to make the move to  Imperial Fields. All the Surrounding land at Sandy lane/ Streatham Road was used for commercial and housing developments from the 1920's /30's. The Tooting owned freehold plot was an Island amongst these developments, and without the club's enterprising acquisition and vision, I very much doubt if a team would exist today!

The larger than life President of the club John "Jack" Beard who passed away in 1956, was a founder member of the original club. For many years Jack was the  licensee of the Foresters Arms, located in Mitcham Road near Tooting Broadway.. The public house is now known as the Antelope.  Jack was a well known personality not only in Football circles but in the local community. The Foresters Arms was used by many local Societies  and Clubs as a meeting place, it was also the club HQ for many years.  Even after Jack's demise I can recall attending  Members club  meetings in the upstairs function room. Also supporters club coaches  used the pub as a pick up point for away games.

Jack kept a record of every club game since inception in 1887,  to his demise when the team was known as Tooting & Mitcham United.  Unfortunately these records did not survive him, and a major part of the teams history was lost forever.  This despite a visit to  the renamed Antelope to discover if any records of the club survived within the premises. Unfortunately the whole building had been refurbished from top (including the loft space)   to bottom.

From the teams origins to the present day, the club has never played in Tooting. The original Tooting team tried twice to  purchase Grounds in the Tooting area, but were never to  complete the transactions.  At the peak of the club's success in the 50's and early 60's many fans were drawn from the Tooting area, as witnessed by the  many hundreds of  spectators making their way across Figges Marsh from Tooting, and the full bus loads from Tooting  Broadway on match days.  The club also drew many fans from the Streatham area. Sadly with the relocation of the club from Sandy Lane to  Imperial Fields and the vast drop in attendances, very  few fans now come from the Tooting and Streatham locations. 

Thank you Tooting Graveney FC and Jack Beard and his colleagues for establishing the start or our team.

Last edited by Mikem (15/12/2017 10:42 am)

13/12/2017 11:54 am  #2

Re: Something to Celebrate

Not a lot of info is available for Tooting Graveney, but I believe they entered the FA Cup once for the 1910/11 season.  They won 3-2 away against West Norwood followed by a win by the same score away at Farncombe.  The run ended with a 9-0 drubbing at home to Old Kingstonians.

13/12/2017 3:33 pm  #3

Another team, called simply Tooting, entered the FA Cup for the subsequent 4 seasons up to the 1914/15 season, so I would make the assumption that this was Tooting Graveney as well.  Perhaps they changed their name to Tooting and dropped the Graveney.

Anyway, they didn't have much luck - failing to clear the 2nd hurdle in any of these seasons.

They were even knocked out by South Tooting in 1913, losing 2-0 at home!

13/12/2017 6:57 pm  #4

EOFL  great your were able to  contribute to  this forum topic. Tooting went under  various names from 1887 to  1932 and eventually entering all the major Cup competitions.South Tooting played at Colliers Wood, and were originally known as Waterfall. I think there is a Bridge close to  the Croydon Tram link at Merton Road, which is still called Watrerfall?

I have been researching the history of both Tooting and Mitcham Wanderers , and it's been like mining for bitcoins.  I have managed to  find a considerable amount of information on Mitcham Wanderers but still have some result gaps, plus information is still being provided from different sources. Whatever happens I will publish the Mitcham Wanderers book next year.

The Tooting records especially from 1887 to around 1910 are  very sketchy, and a lot more research is required. One thing is for sure,  both clubs have  very interesting   and   hair raising stories which have basically contributed and had an impact on the  team.we know today.

If anyone has any information on both clubs, I would be very grateful if you would contact me.

Last edited by Mikem (13/12/2017 6:58 pm)

14/12/2017 11:24 am  #5

In your investigations, did you ever come across the story of Mitcham Wanderers centre forward Percy Mitchell of Lansdell Road who died after taking a knock in a Surrey Senior Cup game in the 20s?

14/12/2017 11:39 am  #6

Lovely nostalgia. Looking forward to the Mitcham Wanderers book, Mike.
endo, as I have lived there for the last 28 years, I was interested to read your reference to Farncombe in the 1910/11 FA Cup. Where did you get your info from ?

14/12/2017 1:34 pm  #7

Jeff

You should be able to find something in here

http://www.theresultsarchive.com/index.php

15/12/2017 10:29 am  #8

EOTL,  I did come across this unfortunate story you refer to, and the  many enquiries which followed up on this tragic incident. Please do not hesitate to highlight any other information you may come across, all contributions are most welcome . Thanks MikeM

24/4/2019 11:33 am  #9

A message for Mike.  I note in your original message that you said that Jack Beard passed away in 1956.  I don't know whether that was a typo or not, but the actual year was 1950.  This is a transcript of the front page of the Tooting v Hayes programme of 25th March 1950:

"Overshadowing everything else this week has been the sad news that our president Mr John Beard has passed over at the ripe old age of 80.  Just over 45 years ago he was elected president of Tooting Graveney Football Club and remained president of the club and its successors throughout its many vicissitudes and changes of title.  In 1931 when the Tooting and Mitcham Wanderers clubs amalgamated he was the logical choice for president of the new club. 

His early life was spent in Mitcham and his business interests in Tooting which came later are well known to all.  His capacity for making friends was unique and there can be very few senior amateur football clubs in London whose members and officials were not familiar with his cheery countenance.

John Beard’s enthusiasm for sport was by no means limited to football and his connections with boxing, athletics, cricket and swimming clubs all testify to his remarkable versatility.  It was said of him once that as a footballer he was a great fisherman, and as a fisherman, an enthusiastic footballer!  We at Tooting & Mitcham knew of his activities with the Eastbourne Fishing Club and we are certain that our name wass equally familiar to the fishermen of Eastbourne.

This is not the medium for recounting his many services to the club, sufficient to say that with his passing the club has lost a friend whose place it will be difficult to fill.  It is however, a happy thought to reflect that his name is inscribed on the deed conveying this piece of ground to the Tooting club in 1922 and on the deed of amalgamation which brought into being our present organisation.  Today we mourn and at the same time salute a great sportsman and a grand personality.

Service at Tooting Parish Church on Wednesday next.  Cortege leaves the Foresters at 1:30."

27/4/2019 10:25 am  #10

EOTL, thanks for your posting, indeed the date of Jack's death was a typo. He must be turning in his grave at the position of his beloved team today!

29/4/2019 11:26 am  #11

Mike - I don't know if you knew, but as a youngster, Jack Beard used to live at the Gardeners Arms where his father was landlord.

29/4/2019 3:36 pm  #12

Regarding typos Mikem is in good company.

The editor of that 1950 programme put " In 1931 when the Tooting and Mitcham Wanderers clubs amalgamated he was the logical choice for president of the new club" in the front page article.

So typos have been around for a long time ! !

Board footera