“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01/1/2018 6:33 pm  #1

Can this season end please?

Can this farce end anytime soon? Today was dreadful and this season's been a farce... we've got to change things on and off the pitch for our club to grow.....Rant over

Last edited by Bogend Ant (01/1/2018 7:27 pm)

01/1/2018 7:17 pm  #2

Re: Can this season end please?

I felt bad about this season before it started Ant.  A Division One South side will experience a lot of difficulty holding their own without real strengthening with players proven at this level.  I have no criticism of Frank and like many other fans I have seen this before during our last visit to this league.

However, I think we will stay up as I think that we can pick off the teams in the lower half of the table as we did last Saturday and against Thurrock.  It's not going to be pretty though.

01/1/2018 9:59 pm  #3

I am afraid Ant, their will still be lots of highs, and lows, until the end of the season but keep the faith their are still a lot of points to play for. 

02/1/2018 5:39 pm  #4

Brassneck wrote:

Couldn't go yesterday but the report on the Leatherhead site is not exactly that negative about our performance. I think we are moving in the right direction and although the defence is a massive problem if we can just put together a little run of wins we will get ourselves into a much more comfortable league position.

I think it's fair to say we deserve to be where we are in the league table. Leatherhead were comfortable against us yesterday, but we didn't help ourselves by getting heavily outnumbered on the break after giving the ball away cheaply.

There are still positives to look at though. The team gives the impression of a puzzle that is far from completed. The good thing is, we've started the puzzle and are making some progress.

02/1/2018 6:06 pm  #5

I agree about the team being a bit of a puzzle. I do think some of the manager's selections have been a bit confusing at times. Especially in the wide areas I think he's been inconsistent in that respect. Obviously we have made a conscious decision to go with 2 up front and so getting Folkes in was a good move. But now getting Baxter back seems to signal a different approach.

And at the back Frank has struggled to sort out the long term problems at the back. And even since the arrival of Flegg and McNaughton we still don't seem to have a first choice back 4. Maybe the two new guys will do the job.

I think he has done a good job easing some of the U23s into the 1st team and I'm glad he's shown confidence in DMG as a 1st team regular. Some manager's wouldn't do it.

Obviously our turnover of players is too high. No team is successful if they use 50 or 60 players in a season.

But getting players with the right character at the right price is proving difficult.

02/1/2018 6:11 pm  #6

Original post is a complete overraction.

Comfortably beaten 2-0 by a better team with a bigger budget...shock horror!

We are moving in the right direction. I think we missed DMG and Eddie Dines yesterday, there was too little protection in front of the back four and you can't expect Chace or Ollie Bennett to provide that type of protection, it's not their game. 

Their second goal was definitely fortunate, a miskick by one of their players put it into the path of another player who had an easy finish. 

I must admit i'm not convinced that Jake Baxter is the right re-acquisition up front. In this league you really need a Mike/Omar (arguably both for us at the same time) to really give opposition defences a problem, i.e strength and presence. Jake is a lovely finisher and has good movement, but we don't play to his strengths when we lump it up towards him and expect him to hold it up - which isn't going to happen. 

I think things are looking up though, we tend to beat the teams around us, and lose to those much higher...no shame in that. 

You can only assume Frank is on the hunt for a centre back with Callum's departure, and we have a couple new players in Josh, Victor and Ryan to look forward to bedding in. 

I'm sure we'll compete well against Harlow and it'll be a close game - as we'd expect. 

Board footera