“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/1/2018 1:27 pm  #1

Dave Bumpstead

I have only just discovered that, sadly,ex-player Dave Bumpstead died in August 2017. He was 81.
Dave joined Tooting for the 1956/57 season, the club's first in the Isthmian League. During that season and the
next, when Tooting were champions, he made 77 appearances, scoring 24 goals. He signed as a professional for
Millwall at the start of the 1958/59 season and made 84 appearances for the Lions, scoring 8 goals before joining Bristol Rovers in 1962. He played 40 times for Rovers without scoring a goal. Dave later managed Brentwood Town
and Chelmsford City.
He won an England amateur cap while with Tooting and toured with the Middlsex Wanderers.

22/1/2018 2:22 pm  #2

22/1/2018 10:03 pm  #3

Re: Dave Bumpstead

Very sorry to hear about Dave.
He was one of the players who game back for our anniversary celebrations.
Great player and a lovely man.
I remember as an 11 year old sitting behind him in the stand at Highbury when we beat Hendon 5-2 in the London Senior Cup just after Millwall stole him from us.

23/1/2018 8:21 pm  #4

Re: Dave Bumpstead

Tooting were overloaded with great players when Dave Bumpstead played for Tooting, only years later do you realise how great they were in Amateur Football. Mr Bumpstead was one of my idols, a cultured inside forward, only to  be converted to  a half back after turning professional.  Really sad to  read he has passed away,  and agree with Chris J, a real gentleman.

I went to watch  Dave play at the Den for a midweek  floodlight representative game, can't remember if it was Isthmian League, Middlesex Wanderers or London FA?  Dave still a Tooting player at the time, had quite a following of Tooting fans at the match to watch their hero. A   large crowd attended basically full of Millwall's  notorious  Dockers fan base..

Although  I do not recall the match, there is one outstanding incident which I have never forgotten which brought the Millwall supporters to  their feet.  Dave went to  trap a high ball clearance by the opposition, and in one movement,  he suddenly turned his back to  the ball, squatted and trapped  the ball immaculately with his backside, and the passed the ball casually to   a colleague. I don't think the Millwall fans had seen anything like it, there was a huge roar, and some obvious cockney  language and comments.  I think to this day that one act may have impressed Millwall to sign him. Robbed yet again!

Board footera