“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/2/2018 9:24 am  #1

Napoleon and the race that never was

April 3rd 1993 it's Tooting & Mitcham v Heybridge Swifts at Sandy Lane and it's also Grand National day at Aintree. Clive ( aka casey on this forum ) and myself are plotted up on the terrace opposite the main stand. The pair of us had organised a sweepstake for the big race at the place we both worked and Clive had a transistor radio (remember them ?) pressed to his ear. There was a Heybridge supporter standing to our left all on his lonesome who asked to be kept informed of the goings on in the National. His behaviour was quite bizzare, instead of shouting the usual stuff you hear from fans like "Get stuck in !" or "Fcuking shoot" or "Pass the bloody thing" he was getting all technical and shouting things like " Graham, when their full back overlaps tuck inside and pick up the number ten and let Steve come across and deal with him." I said to Clive " This geezer thinks he's the Heybridge manager doesn't he ?" so Clive decided to call him Napoleon. This went on all game but it didn't appear like the Heybridge players were paying any attention to him. The Grand National gets under way but there is a false start, the majority of the riders don't realise they've been recalled and 30 of the 39 runners carry on regardless. The race was declared 'null and void' which meant going round work on Monday giving everyone their stake money back. We informed Napoleon of the developments at Aintree and had a brief conversation about whether this was a first. The match ended in a 1-1 draw and Napoleon said " See ya lads " on our way out.

Fast forward to the 93/94 season and the repeat fixture. This time me and Clive are standing in the small enclosure in front of the main stand when suddenly Clive shouts " FCUK ME, IT'S NAPOLEON " which was unusual as Clive doesn't swear very often, sure enough, sitting in the Heybridge dugout barking out orders it's our old mate Napoleon ! He really WAS the Heybridge manager.

Last edited by Bog End Ultra (12/2/2018 9:24 am)

12/2/2018 11:42 am  #2

Re: Napoleon and the race that never was

Wow well remembered.I can't remember yesterday.Those were the days,when Napoleon ruled the world.Well ok not that long ago.I always did the grand national sweepstake at work,right up to finishing work last year.

12/2/2018 12:17 pm  #3

Re: Napoleon and the race that never was

I did have a little bit of help with some of the details from a certain Huddersfield supporting club historian friend of mine 

Board footera