“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/2/2018 2:17 am  #1

Coach to Lowestoft

I thought Dick Turpin was dead? £28 English pounds? Are the fans subsiding the team coach now? Dulwich can do it for £22 per head. £6 don't seem a lot but to many but  it is. Looks like the away contingent will be severely dented at a time when supporters need to get behind the team in this relegation battle. Also whoever is enforcing the rule on the  terraces that you can't smoke under the roof of the terrace need to look at the law again as a matter of a little bed time reading it's open on all 4 sides so where is it enclosed?

11/2/2018 9:33 am  #2

Re: Coach to Lowestoft

I would respectfully suggest Wolfie, you check how much the train fare would be, £28-00 seems good value to me when all we have to do is meet at the ground and from then on sit back and enjoy the experience.
Perhaps the Hamlet coach is subsidised by the supporters, especially considering their are far more of them than their are of us.

11/2/2018 9:46 am  #3

Still think it's excessive as the coach is already going there and when I've looked at hiring coaches to Suffolk and Norfolk etc they come in around £600 to £700 25 X £28 is £700. My opinion and speaking to others they feel the same so just putting it out there as that is what forums are for. Would probably get more take up with a lower price. I respectfully already know how much it is and as we're in a fight for survival the club would want as many fans there as possible.

Last edited by Wolfie Smith (11/2/2018 9:52 am)

11/2/2018 10:20 am  #4

As you rightly say Wolfie, it is a matter of opinion, personally speaking I would prefer to drive rather than sit in a coach. Not because of cost but I can suit myself when I leave and arrive.
Can not disagree about the need to have as many fans as possible at the game, but not just attending, but singing and cheering them on this makes such a difference to the players, especially as now we are on a positive run and badly need it to continue.

11/2/2018 7:47 pm  #5

I work on the Underground and as a result, I get my National Rail fares at a discounted rate. But as has been typical in recent times, all our decent away trips seem to be blighted by bloody engineering works. I looked at the various options, and decided that I would rather stump up an extra few quid and go straight there on the coach than to muck about with poxy replacement buses!!!

12/2/2018 8:50 am  #6

If they'd charged £38 I'd still have gone.....but then I am loaded 

13/2/2018 12:05 pm  #7

Wolfie, totally understand your posting and frustrations,  and sympathise with you. But there are  a few scenarios to  take onto  consideration.

1. If by your calculations V's the cost of coach hire, and the 25 seats are filled, then  the supporters are paying for most of  hire of the team bus.

2. I  suspect the Dulwit supporters hired their own coach and was filled to  capacity which would fully cover the coast of the hire. They have a much larger support base than the Terrors so they are able to  offer a much better deal.

3.  Who at Tooting is responsible for the hire of the bus? Supporters club, Members Club, or one of the may operating companies running the leisure facility?

Supporters Club - According to  the forum a supporters club is still in operation and is still raising funds on match days. My local club gives supporters a discount on coach journeys, which is offset by the funds raised by the supporters club. Why does this not happen at Tooting?  All supporters clubs charge the appropriate travel charge in order they do not lose money, unless   they fund the difference.

Members Club - Are the Members club paying for the hire of the coach if so they are should be offering a discount for Members.

Operating Company -  If the operating company are hiring the coach and charging full whack to  supporters,  then clearly they are using the faithful fans to  cover the total cost for the near full hire of the team bus.  Why can't there be some open honesty about this? Basically the fans are just a unit of money to  the club, whether an entrance fee, spending at the bar or charging fans the full cost of an away trip. Loyalty does enter  not enter  into  the situation.  Yes, the club has operating costs,  but the ambitions  and investment in the club are sadly lacking. 

4. What would happen  if the club got promoted to  the Conference South, look at  the cost of away fixtures in that league.

5. Railway Travel is my favourite form of transport, last time we played at Lowestoft  I had a great journey there and back.  But with all the never ending engineering works it's now a nightmare way of travelling.  Rail Travel to  Needham Market will also be effected, so need to start  making plans now , or start saving the £pounds away to cover the cost of the coach travel.

6. The Football Club has been severely hampered by the lack of crowds, even in last year's promotion season. Just take a look at the Facility at Imperial Fields and the catchment area for support, you have to  ask what the problem is!  Fighting relegation this season has not helped, Last Saturday only 173 attended,  without some  consistent success the  crowds will never recover.  and our neighbouring clubs will go from strength to  strength, and also don't forget the return of AFC Norbiton to  Wimbledon.  However , I am not sure any increase in crowds at Imperial Fields will make difference to  the current situation!

Last edited by Mikem (13/2/2018 12:07 pm)

13/2/2018 1:07 pm  #8

Mike & "Wolfie" - According to my spies the "Members Club" are indeed responsible for organising coach travel to the long haul away days.
These "luxury" coaches are primarily for the Management Team and Playing staff. Any unused seats are therefore available for fans to take up. I don't know the ins and outs of the actual costs per seat (it depends upon the size of the coach and the company running it I guess - I would defer to taking advice from Trevor my Bro-in-Law on this matter.
However, I am led to believe that the remaining seats are charged out at a subsidised (by the "Members Club") cost to any of the fan base wishing to take up a seat. I understand that apparently the logistics of sorting out discounts for "Supporters Club" members and/or "Members Club" members is a pain to administer (I can't see why myself but hey ho !)
Remember that I'm a Director on the Board of the "Members Club" and even I didn't know any of this until I queried the costings the other week ! 

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

13/2/2018 3:03 pm  #9

Surely you are not intimating a lack of information regarding our club DeePee.
Never let it be said.

13/2/2018 5:47 pm  #10

DeePee,
Thank you for putting your head above the parapet, you are a brave man,  I hope you are not chastised in any way.  How this club survives and operates is beyond me.  Normal Football clubs treat their fans really well, then again we are not a normal football club. The lack of ambition and meaningful investment from any direction will always leave this once great club struggling!

13/2/2018 6:19 pm  #11

Mikem wrote:

DeePee,
Thank you for putting your head above the parapet, you are a brave man,  I hope you are not chastised in any way.  How this club survives and operates is beyond me.  Normal Football clubs treat their fans really well, then again we are not a normal football club. The lack of ambition and meaningful investment from any direction will always leave this once great club struggling!

And this is why we are struggling for crowds. The toilets in the bar are a disgrace. Toilet seats missing, holes in walls, lights not working, toilet roll holders hanging off. You wouldn't think that we're sponsored by a building firm!

14/2/2018 10:36 am  #12

I fully agree Wolfe.  Have you already raised this with the club directly?  No?

I’m only being smug because I contacted Jackie on Saturday evening, inviting her to join a delegation of us in there some time to see for herself how bad things had got.
She got straight back to me on Monday, although somewhat oddly declined my invitation!  Had to believe eh.
But she did commit to getting groundman Rick to see what he could do with the toilet seat, toilet roll dispenser etc.
And if he could not remedy the lighting to get in an electrician.

Also to change the signage on the Disability Toilet advising the key could be obtained from behind the bar.

Just wish I had done that before.  As I am sure you do.

14/2/2018 12:43 pm  #13

Raised it with the bar staff many a time also mentioned it to Jackie about 4 months ago but nothing happened. I've seen various other people mention it to other people around the club.

14/2/2018 1:26 pm  #14

The only assumption to be gained from this thread is that nobody who counts, cares either about the basic facilities, or the reputation of the football club. What must other supporters feel when they come to Imperial Fields.
Such a shame, we used to have a stadium to be proud of, afraid the same can not be said anymore.

14/2/2018 2:22 pm  #15

This thread seems to have gone off on a bit of a tangent, and that's not down to me for once. Getting back to the original topic, i.e. the trip to Lowestoft, I was wondering what the odds are on Mike Dixon turning up on time for a prompt 8.30 departure, pretty long I should imagine.

Perhaps it's all a ploy, perhaps we're not planning on leaving til 9.30 but we've told Dicko 8.30 in the hope he'll be there before 9.30. Cunning plan Tim, I like it 

Board footera