“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/3/2018 8:54 pm  #1

Red Card Ref

Can somebody explain why their number 8 wasn't shown a straight red for his assault on Izzy ? If that did warrant a red card then what did he have to do, stab him ? It wasn't even a tackle, he wasn't trying to win the ball, his only intention was to kick Izzy to stop his progress, straight red, simple as. Knee high, late,dirty,dangerous,why wasn't the cnut sent off ?

Didn't deserve to lose today, but you could say that about loads of games this season.

Mr Angry from the Cricket Green Conservation Area.

18/3/2018 12:30 am  #2

Re: Red Card Ref

Chris, I too was apoplectic with rage when that clown of a ref only showed a yellow. No intention to play the ball, just an intent to maim Izzy.

Other than that, it was the same thing that has blighted our season. We've controlled games, looked good going forward, but soft goals are costing us.

18/3/2018 8:41 am  #3

On the subject of Izzy, does any one else feel he seems to get sorted out as the one to clatter, and the one to hurt.
Could it be the opposition see him as a weak option due to his slight build, or due to his skill?
Unfortunately at the lower levels of football he has got to learn to deal with this, "unwanted attention", and to not retaliate, I was concerned he might have got sent off along with the perpetrator of the foul for retaliation.
I felt like others, the no.8 should have most definitely gone.
More worrying though is looking at the games coming up, where are the points going to come from to keep us up?

18/3/2018 10:02 am  #4

It’s got zero percent to do with him looking “weak/small” and 100 percent to do with the fact that he’s our most threatening player out wide and skips past opposition players with consumate ease. Players like him need to be protected, that’s the second time in two games (Dorking being the other) where he has been targeted with some terrible challenges. Not getting a red for the foul yesterday was simply unacceptable.

The kick was obviously an intent to stop him running through to goal, which in isolation might only warrant a yellow as a “tactical” foul, however the fact that the player cynically booted him very high on the shin made it a dangerous challenge worthy of a red. The ref bottled that one for real, and why the Lino didn’t help him out is beyond me.

Would have to agree above that it’s our softness at the back that continues to cost us. We were ok against Dorking, and I thought we were much much better against Hendon.

Didn’t take our chances and then concede at the other end, it’s cost us again.

Special mention for Reis up front who I think looks the part. Strong, holds up the ball well, good movement. He looks classy, just playing in a side without confidence and fragility. I think his influence and ability could help us a lot in this run in. Need to get players around him though, a little too often when he was holding it up the midfield were too deep to support. Runners around him and past him when we attack or counter will work.

I thought Ollie bennett had a good game too before being subbed.

Note: you can tell I wasn’t at the thurrock game having referenced Dorking as our last game a few times. Probably for the best I wasn’t there anyway :-)

Last edited by dac123 (18/3/2018 10:04 am)

18/3/2018 3:44 pm  #5

It looked a red to me, tactical foul or not, it seemed dangerous and had a straight red been given, I don't think they could have complained.
The addition of Reis up front is a big improvement on the other two. He looks strong, has good movement, can hold the ball up, wins the odd header as well. If he can add a few goals to his game, he could prove an important player during the run in.

18/3/2018 6:33 pm  #6

Reis looks class great movement and hold up play

Board footera