“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/8/2018 2:42 pm  #1

Imperial Fields

Can anyone tell me if the sides and ends of the ground have names?

Thanks,

Duncan

06/8/2018 2:52 pm  #2

Re: Imperial Fields

Hi Duncan, the sides and ends don't have names although we still use the old name from our previous ground at Sandy Lane ' The Bog End ' for whichever end the 'Ultras ' are gathered behind. 

In honour of one of our ex-sponsors Mitcham Belle coaches we were going to call one end of the ground ' The Belle End ' but it was deemed inappropriate.*

* acknowledgements to Hackbridge Harry

06/8/2018 4:07 pm  #3

Thanks for the info.

06/8/2018 9:39 pm  #4

The front end behind the goal is known as The Bishop as it faces Bishopsford Road... But which way Tooting are shooting is known as The Bog End as that where the atmosphere comes from... Hope this helps

08/8/2018 11:30 am  #5

Back in the late 1990s, Steve Adkins invited me ( as I was then writing my book on the history of the Sandy Lane ground ) and Steve Taylor, the then editor of the club web site, to a meeting with the architect to comment on the plans for the new ground. Generally, we were both impressed but I did point out to the architect that the side opposite the stand was totally flat and that some form of terracing was needed. He did revise the plans to include a small amount of terracing.. How about ( and this is said very much tongue in cheek) calling these The Jeff Brooks Terrace or, more appropriately, The Jeff Brooks Steps ??!!

08/8/2018 12:24 pm  #6

Or how about ' Brookside ' ?

08/8/2018 2:26 pm  #7

I like that !!

08/8/2018 2:29 pm  #8

Let's hope no one's buried under the stand 👀😂

08/8/2018 2:36 pm  #9

That's got me thinking Wolfie.....has anyone ever kicked the bucket and had their ashes scattered on the pitch at either Sandy Lane or Imperial Fields ? I kinda like the idea.......not anytime soon though, hopefully.

08/8/2018 3:00 pm  #10

Back in April 1950, the ashes of Club President, Jack Beard, were scattered over the Sandy Lane pitch in accordance with his wishes. He had previously been President of Tooting Town FC.

08/8/2018 3:10 pm  #11

New revenue scheme

08/8/2018 3:11 pm  #12

After Frank Jannaway passed away about 3 years ago his ashes were scattered at the top corner of the far end of the ground

08/8/2018 3:47 pm  #13

Maybe a sign could be put up in "Jannaway's Corner" .

I always thought that we would end up with names for the ends and the stand etc and that these names would evolve naturally over time. But it just hasn't happened. Maybe Jannaway's Corner will be a start.

09/8/2018 8:21 am  #14

Can't honestly see that catching on Endo, on account of how nobody ever stands in that part of the ground.

Geographically, the main stand is at the north end of the ground so we could call it 'The North Stand' in tribute to Chelsea's notorious hooligan gang of the 70's of the same name.

The Bishopsford Road end is at the west end of the stadium. I've been warned about Bishops you find in the West End by my good mate Giovanni, he went to a Roman Catholic school so he knows better than most. And there was me thinking "We're gonna score up the Bishop's" was a song about football....you live and learn !!

The far end of the ground (home to Jannaway's Corner......I'm trying for you Endo) is the East End of the ground, I suppose we could simply call it the East End except, at the risk of offending anybody, the Demographics would have to change somewhat.

Board footera