“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/10/2018 2:29 pm  #1

YES SHAME

When the Terrors got promoted in 2016/17, I used to reflect how poor the standard was in Ryman South, I take all of my postings back!  The Bostik South Central League is an appalling standard of Football, and is the poorest of the Leagues at this Level across the country, and we are one of the fortunate/unfortunate clubs which participates.

Whilst the fans eulogise about how the team or individuals are performing or not, the whole situation needs to be put into perspective. We are  currently one of the poorest  teams competing in our league, despite all the if’s and but’s, with players and management who are just keeping the heads above water.  The Clown who imparted his wisdom of youth football onto the non-football owner of the Team needs to take a lot of flak. Players in and out already proves the futility of the Clown’s direction. So called experienced players being shipped in who would struggle at Combined Counties level has left the team struggling in all direction. Only 2/3 of the outstanding academy players who have worked their way up to first team level have now been lost in the mire of the situation.

The lack of appetite, direction, future planning and funding issues, which under the current set up will not be solved, have left the team and the fans bereft of any future hope.  You cannot blame the team for their performances as they are selected and try their best, likewise the management team who obviously really struggle, even at this level of football.  There was a total lack of planning when promotion was achieved, and the end of season run where only one point was needed to stave off relegation, just about sums up the apathy surrounding the team and the structure it operates under! The same situation has been created again this season, but basically just one leap from Park Football.  

The Bostik Premier League is not outstanding, but the Terrors failed miserably when given an opportunity. The Terrors are now light years returning to these dizzy heights.   Even to finish mid table in the current League would be a total embarrassment. Having not won a league game away since 3rd Feb, the Terrors are due to visit back to back the worst two teams in the league. If they cannot take full points from these fixtures get the lines painted and ready on Figges Marsh.

How did a team like the Terrors ever get into  this situation, answers please in several volumes!.  

17/10/2018 4:59 am  #2

Re: YES SHAME

VOLUME ONE

Sandy Lane

Sandy Lane was purchased in 1922 by Tooting Town Football Club.

Tooting Town FC started playing at Sandy Lane at the beginning of the 1923-1924 playing season.

During the summer of 1931 Tooting Town Football Club became known as Tooting Football Club and Tooting Town FC’s name was changed to Tooting FC.

A new club called Tooting and Mitcham Football Club was formed in March 1932 to facilitate a proposed merger of the Tooting and the Mitcham Wanderers, Football Clubs.

What followed was Tooting FC and Mitcham Wanderers FC both resigned from the London League and the London League accepted Tooting & Mitcham FC into their constitution for the 1932-1933 playing season.

Subsequently a trust deed was drawn up transferring the freehold asset of Sandy Lane from “the original club” to Tooting and Mitcham Football Club.

In the summer of 1935 Tooting and Mitcham Football Club changed it’s name to Tooting and Mitcham United Football Club.

The above mentioned football clubs were all unincorporated associations.

In the summer of 1999 Tooting and Mitcham United Football Club were granted a 99 year lease on Imperial Fields.

In 2000 an association called Tooting & Mitcham Sports & Leisure Limited was incorporated at Companies House, limited by shares.  

In 2001 Tooting & Mitcham Sports & Leisure Limited purchased a 999 year lease and became the “head leaseholder” at Imperial Fields.

In 2002 some of the so called “trustees” of Tooting & Mitcham United Football Club signed a transfer of the freehold asset at Sandy Lane over to an Isle of Man property company and re-located to Imperial Fields.

In 2005 the so called “trustees” of Tooting and Mitcham United Football Club surrendered the club’s lease on Imperial Fields to their landlord, Tooting & Mitcham Sports & Leisure Limited, together with handing Tooting & Mitcham United FC to Tooting & Mitcham Sports & Leisure Limited.

The committee members and so called “trustees” of Tooting and Mitcham United Football Club told the members of Tooting and Mitcham United Football Club that this was a merger of interests to achieve “the vision of the hub”

The committee members and so called “trustees” of Tooting and Mitcham United Football Club stated that:-

We see this will enshrine the following principles:

1. Total transparency between Club and Hub

2. A one cost centre with a unified administration operated on a strictly not for profit basis.

3. The active participation of the Club and all its members in the running of the Club and the Hub to the greater good of both.

4. A substantial growth in the Membership of the Club brought about by the appeal of the Club as a committed partner to users of the Hub.

5. The provision of key local resources the Concept behind which is already attracting interest from other clubs as pioneer and model.

6. The challenge is to make Tooting & Mitcham United FC the best semi-professional club in the land, one built on sound foundations of good practice in all matters.

VOLUME TWO to follow

Last edited by Lampost (17/10/2018 12:31 pm)

17/10/2018 7:20 am  #3

Wow....didn't expect that response...very interesting indeed!!!!!!  What a plot!!!!!!

18/10/2018 5:15 am  #4

It looks like these 6 points came from the trustees and not the present owner.

If Mr Adkins did not sign up to this, he doesn't have to abide by it, does he ?

18/10/2018 12:18 pm  #5

I read you right Andy, and the words "transparency" and "not for profit" do not figure in his vocabulary.

18/10/2018 12:19 pm  #6

I read you right Andy, and the words "transparency" and "not for profit" do not figure in his vocabulary.

24/10/2018 6:44 pm  #7

After reading Lamppost's revealing posting, I searched high low for an old Members Club handbook I had stashes away somewhere at home. I eventually found a 1970's publication and started to read the rules.

Rule 3 states " The property of the Club (Sandy Lane) shall be vested in Trustees in accordance with Trust Deed. 

The club owned the freehold of the Sandy Lane grounds, which were initially paid for by President Jack Beard (Mortgage) but was redeemed by the Club, and became full owners of the site. The Club and supporters raised the funds through tireless fund-raising missions over the years. Even blanket collections were made at half time, finding a fan today at a game would be a great achievement.

A Trust was set up to protect the freehold property and the incredible effort of the fans who raised all the monies. I can vaguely remember in the past whereby it was stated” if the club ever ceased to exist, all funds from the sale of the ground would go to designated charities.

Although the team, not the club still survives, the club was effectively were wound up and assets were transferred to TMUSL!

So, after all the efforts of those dedicated fans and volunteers over the decades the club left a freehold property for a 99-year lease (can you believe that) , which was superseded by a 999 years lease by the current owners (rubbing their hands) of the Imperial Field site, leaving the Football Club totally unprotected. What a deal!
 WHO WERE THE TRUSTEES AND COMMITTEE WHO SENT THE FOOTBALLCLUB UP THE “SWANNY RIVER” WITHOUT A PADDLE, LIFE JACKETS AND TOTALLY BLINDFOLDED!!!!! Are they still involved in anyway shape or form with the team?

Please don’t respond the club were in a “State” at the time, they were lead in one direction and took the easy way out. Thanks to Lampost's chronological order of events, you don’t have to be an idiot to understand what happened between 1999 and 2005.

With the team in terminal decline and only a handful of fans left,  what of the future?

Last edited by Mikem (24/10/2018 6:45 pm)

25/10/2018 10:26 am  #8

I can understand why longstanding supporters are not happy with the way the club was handed over and is now run and some even refuse to attend home games.

25/10/2018 11:41 am  #9

Like yourself Fairweather Fan, I too can understand some of the frustration regarding the past, but it is precisely that, the past!
You can not keep harking on about what was, that`s history, look to the future, that is what should concern us fans.
Unfortunately there are some who post on here who get a perverse sense of pleasure in bringing up the past and looking for negativity.

26/10/2018 10:41 am  #10

“Perverse sense of pleasure in bringing up the past and looking for negativity.” What an insult to all those fans and volunteers in the past who contributed in time and raising money so you can watch your team play at Imperial Fields and the backwaters of Football.  The past in this case is totally relevant!

I am not negative, I am very angry at the state of the team, sold on a dream “To make the best Semi-Professional Team in the land,” I did not expect the total inhalation of the Football Club! The Terrors are not even the best in South West London, playing teams who would struggle in the combined Counties League, and in front of pathetic attendances, plus home matches played in a sterile atmosphere.

I have many friends who know I support the team, and frequently ask me “What has happened to Tooting, they used to be such a great club! I am often asked what league do they play in!  All of this is irrelevant, without change a of culture, and restructuring of the organisation that runs the team, the team will stagnate even more.  To make any improvement, at some stage money will have to be spent on experienced players and management, the fan based increased, and make Imperial Fields more like a football club. After 13 years this does not seem to on the agenda. There does not seem to be in anyway this impasse will be achieved under the current operational structure. So, the past definitely impacts the future!

C’mon “AJ what’s your solution to the above?

Last edited by Mikem (26/10/2018 10:44 am)

27/10/2018 10:09 pm  #11

Why am I not surprised "Mikem" you once again focus upon the negativity and not the positivity of todays fine win. As I have stated before I find it somewhat strange that someone who is so disenchanted with the current set up, still finds it acceptable to provide their hard earned cash to help support the club that you feel so cheated by. Still nothing in this life ever surprises me.
Now back to the real story of today.
Coming off the back of two successive wins, fortuitous or not is a matter of debate. But a win is a win no matter how achieved.
This gave the team to confidence to approach the game with an air of confidence not shown so far this season. Considering they were playing a team in a higher position than themselves at the start of the day, also who were unbeaten at home, you could have understood if they were cautious from the start, but not a bit of it, yes, Luke made a couple of good saves in the first half to keep their forwards out, but their keeper also did not exactly have the quietest of first halves, and it was the "Terrors" who went in at half time one goal to the good, and I would say that while the first half was fairly even I felt we just shaded it, but then I suppose I would .
The second half started in much the same way but it was "Hanwell" who scored next, our ex. player "Gareth Chendlik".
After the goal you would have thought that "Tooting" would have lost heart but they did not, after clearing their heads they went back to doing what they had already been doing for most of the game, attack, a situation which "Hanwell" could only stop by persistent fouling, picking up three yellow cards in the process.
In the end the "Terrors" scored what was to prove to be the well deserved winner, finishing what can only be described as a well deserved result
I think the way we are now playing, with four at the back and Dines in front of them appears to be the way forward let us now hope that Ashley continues with it.
One negative from today was seeing Lexus going off injured due to a bad tackle by their no.10 who did not even get a yellow card.
Otherwise it was a good day at the office and I can not wait until "Waltham Abbey" on the 3rd.
Even if, worse case scenario, we get nothing from this game, I will be quite happy for nine points from a possible twelve.
Before any one, who wishes to look for a negativity states " two of the beaten sides were below us in the league" the same can not be said about todays opponents who were decidedly second best.
I rest my case!

PS "Mikem" my solution is, keep supporting the club, and the team, as it is the only way to improve things.
I am a great believer that you get out of life what you put in it and if you want something, then do something to achieve it, don`t just do nothing because that is all you will achieve.

Last edited by alanj (27/10/2018 10:15 pm)

27/10/2018 10:40 pm  #12

Ashley is out of his depth unfortunately 3 wins out of 3 is good but we can't compete with the top teams in this league! Who are unfortunately not outstanding! First half against Egham was the worst I've seen for years! I want the team to do ad well as possible but under his regime it won't happen!

27/10/2018 10:48 pm  #13

I agree with you "Wolfie" about that first half last week but sometimes it can take a game such as that to kick start a season.
Not sure if you were there today but if you were, surely you could not fail to have been impressed by the performance.. As a matter of interest, next weeks opponents, the current league leaders, played Egham today and only one 1 - 0

28/10/2018 5:33 am  #14

Three wins out of three and all away from home doesn't show that the management team of AB & CN are out of their depth.

There is no doubt that they struggled getting to grips with their new roles as it was a step up for both.

What is pleasing to see is Tooting & Mitcham United are United to work harder as team and the game management is much better. No falling apart after conceding a goal.

Every supporter has their view, which is normally different to the managers on how the team should be set up and the personnel playing. So that is not really relevent.

I'm liking what I am seeing so well done to Ashley & Cornelius and the team for the last week.

Let's hope the corner has been turned.

I am looking UP not down and another away day next week.

28/10/2018 5:59 am  #15

Wasn't there today but when we've played the better teams in this league we've been poor and when things have gone wrong we've had no back up plan as the management only want to play one way. I want tooting to do well I just don't see it under the current regime. But let's revel in the 3 wins that we've recently got and see what happens next week as that will be the real test! Let's hope the management team have a plan b next Saturday of things start to go wrong!

28/10/2018 7:05 am  #16

Admittidly he finally changed the system after 8 or 9 games which shows some stubbornness to not have changed before when clearly things were going wrong. I hope he proves me wrong it's a learning curve for him but his stubborness not to change certain things needs to go but time will tell with the next few games which won't be easy but momentum is a good thing! Maybe the outrage of  the supporters at half time at Egham has given them some motivation as well 

Brassneck wrote:

Wolfie Smith wrote:

Wasn't there today but when we've played the better teams in this league we've been poor and when things have gone wrong we've had no back up plan as the management only want to play one way. I want tooting to do well I just don't see it under the current regime. But let's revel in the 3 wins that we've recently got and see what happens next week as that will be the real test! Let's hope the management team have a plan b next Saturday of things start to go wrong!

The management have adapted our tactics and system  already this season so think they shown they can learn and respond. Hanwell are a good side, and although rebuilding is still inevitably work in progress I think there is a lot to be quietly optimistic about.

It’s a fine judgement getting the blend of youth and experience right, but it does look about right now and with Daryl Coleman available again after suspension then that should be another boost.

Last edited by Wolfie Smith (28/10/2018 7:06 am)

28/10/2018 11:23 am  #17

Why is it still doom and gloom on here even though we have just won 3 games in a row and won 4 games in five?

28/10/2018 11:30 am  #18

I think next Saturday will be the crunch game if we get a result hopefully it will change peoples opinion to how we are doing

28/10/2018 11:31 am  #19

I do not understand it either "Anthony" it seems you just can not please some people.
I would imagine that like myself, you had a very enjoyable evening yesterday.
Yesterday is what football is all about for us fans, enjoying the high`s, because as sure as night follows day, a low will follow.

28/10/2018 9:29 pm  #20

I was one of the first if not the first that playing 3 at the back was never going to work. My original formation as stated before would be a rigid back 4, 3 in the middle & 3 up front when we are attacking. Why Ashley went with the back 3 only he knows. Why did he take so long to change it. I think being stubborn is not out of the question in the same way Frank was with 1 upfront. Since the system was changed so have the results. Lets not get carried away we are far from being a very good team. As for Ashley I think these results have earned him a reprieve. 

28/10/2018 9:53 pm  #21

On Saturday Geoff, we appeared to play, four at the back with Dines in front as cover then dropping in as required, DMG and Saidou in midfield, with three up front when the occasion arrived. It seemed to work very well as "Hanwell" were well contained and we certainly asked more questions of their keeper than they did of ours.
One concern, and considering he has been out of the team for a while, it was no surprise, was Adjani but a couple of more games and he should be up to speed.
The arrival of "Antonio" seems to have steadied the defence and with "Colman" to come back it will be interesting to see who makes way for him as I feel a player such as him is what is called for, tough and tenacious.

Board footera