“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27/9/2015 1:03 pm  #1

Toots 1 Brackley 3

I thought they were just that little bit better than us all over the park. We put up a good fight though and Leon got a lovely goal (good player Leon, I'd start him every week but we all have our favourites and Frank can only pick 11 to be fair to him).

Anyone know what the official attendance was ? The Bishopsford Road End seemed pretty well populated in the second half.

Still no draws this season but we're at home to Hythe on Tuesday and everyone will be expecting us to win so I'm predicting a one all stalemate.

27/9/2015 2:17 pm  #2

Re: Toots 1 Brackley 3

The attendance was 249

27/9/2015 5:48 pm  #3

It was a good game. Sam played well in goal, Leon did well but came on too late. But thought they really tried. Noticed the attendance was only 249, that was disappointing, although to be honest I thought there looked more. Must be all the freebies!
Tuesday is looking good, so that may well mean we will lose. Ever the pessimist that's me!

27/9/2015 6:19 pm  #4

Brackley are a very good team.  They were well drilled in all departments and gave little away.  They certainly took the game seriously.  This makes it all the more pleasing that we were able to create chances which on any other occaision might have gone in.  Harry's shot in the first half was well saved and Jake must be kicking himself at not being able to convert the loose ball.  Jake also had a good chance in the second half wihch would have been a goal and a half if he had netted it but the Brackley keeper did well again.  Busy had lean pickings; alone up front for much of the match against a very competent pair of centre backs.  He did get past them later in the second half though as he and the keeper went for a loose ball with the keeper once again doing well despite Jamie crashing into him.

Out boys certainly did not let us down.

28/9/2015 8:13 am  #5

I stand corrected, it seems most of us AREN'T expecting us to beat Hythe tomorrow.

Pessimistic bunch aren't we ? I wonder why that is scratch,scratch

Pantomime villain Frankie Sawyer's return should add a bit of extra spice to proceedings. I won't boo him myself but I wouldn't put anyone else off if they wanted to not in front of Anthony though, eh.

28/9/2015 8:57 am  #6

Hi, new poster here but regular tooting watcher for the past few years. 

I actually didn't think Brackley were that good to be honest. Yes they were better than us and you could see why some of their players hailed from a few league's higher than us. But for what I was expecting from a conference level outfit, they were nothing special and we missed an opportunity.

I thought we played well and were unlucky not to get a draw from the game. We got ourselves into good attacking positions at times and better finishing would have at least troubled their keeper on a few occasions. 

The killer goal was their second. It was a mistake by Brendan Murphy McVey which ultimately lead to their goal a few plays later. I think Brendan is actually an excellent signing and a very neat and technically sound footballer with good vision, but he tried a little too much in a dangerous position there, we lost the ball, and they ultimately walked the ball in from the same stretch of play. He looked gutted and I know he'll learn from that mistake. 

Leon had a massive impact but ultimately was brought on a little too late I guess. A lot of people have been complaining that he should be starting games with his quality. I tend to agree, but I can also see the value in bringing him on in short bursts where he is probably more effective and explosive than over 90 minutes. I get the impression that he wouldn't be able to keep up that quality over 90 minutes - but would love to be proven long. He should have come on earlier though.

Also not sure what Mike Salako has done wrong not to get a look in. Almost seems like he has been shunned. Looks lively when he comes on but its rarely enough time to be impactful. I think Jamie Byatt and Serge are firm starters, but I would possibly give Salako a chance over Baxter. Though Baxter hasn't actually done much wrong, I feel Salako's pace would stretch opposition defences more and quicken our attacking play. Jake works hard though so this is not a slight on him. 

I thought Simmo and Darryl played well and looked strong at the back. 

All in all a good performance, we gave a good account of ourselves. 

Tuesday at Hythe is must win to get some league momentum. We are in a decent position given we've lost half our league games or so. We need to get a few wins on the board in the next few games starting with Hythe.  

Last edited by dac123 (28/9/2015 9:05 am)

28/9/2015 9:11 am  #7

I wouldn't argue with any of that. Very reasonable posting.........

You aren't 59er's boy by any chance are you ? 

28/9/2015 10:01 am  #8

Considering Brackley are two divisions above us we play fairly alright orthough the first two goals consceded were disappointing and there disallowed goals was the same. If only we could have cut out the silly mistakes, it could well have been us in the 3rd round.
Saying the teams in our league playing higher league opponents weren't just beat like us, they were thrashed, look at Carshaltons score against only ryman premier opponents East Thurrock 0-5 (AT HOME)and South Parks, Maidstone 6-2 (away), so all in all you can't grumble.
Reference to the attendence it did look better than 249, but that is a lot better than our average so it must have put a few pound in the kitty.
Now we move on to tuesday and Hythe Town, a team that is struggling just like Whitstable Town.
What score and what performance are we going to see?

28/9/2015 1:09 pm  #9

True, at this rate Doughnuts like me and Ashtree will soon be in the minority 

Last edited by Bog End Ultra (28/9/2015 1:10 pm)

28/9/2015 1:18 pm  #10

What league is that Cricket

28/9/2015 2:56 pm  #11

Brackley got a home tie against Rugby Town in the next round if anybody's interested.....

No, thought not.

29/9/2015 8:41 am  #12

The team gave a good aacount of themselves against Brackley-Management not so good.How anybody can say Brackley were a very good team is beyond me-I thought they looked likely to be relegation contenders.
Their no 9 was totally naive and caught offside repeatedly not looking across the line and their football lacked any sparkle.They did not look particularly threatening & we probably created as many chances as they did.
I agree it was a missed opportunity-but  why? Did it occur to Frank & Mark that every ball pumped forward in the air to our small forwards came straight back.We did not win one aerial challenge until Michael Solako was introduced & he won his first contest.I think I will give up talking about the necessity to play Leon from the start-make the most of his or you may not have him for long.
I agree with the assessment of Brendan-very good player who just needs to use his skills in the right areas-giving the ball away in wrong areas cost us Saturday & also similarly at Whitstable with Serge.
However,overall I was very pleased with the effort & commitment shown by the team.

Board footera