“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/10/2015 4:21 pm  #1

Just my opinion...no bitterness!!!

Before i start i can safely say i am over the disappointment of last season in regards to my sacking and leaving the club and I certainly didn't dwell on it. I am only doing this because I've had a bit of a ribbing from players past and present that say I'm on the forum as different names!!!

I am enjoying having a life again and not being bombarded with bad excuses for lateness to training and games, emails questioning why I paid this player five pounds more or less this week, and players asking me why they are being paid five pounds less this week. I gave up my life for a couple years because I wanted to make it work at the club, especially because the club gave me a start in non league football.

I am not cropping up as soon as the first sign of discontent occurs either. I am not bitter just disappointed that the club was building and improving and now it look as though it's back to square one.

The aim this season was promotion...a few of my questions in my last meeting in April were "How are you going to get this club to the conference south...a more experienced manager? Improve the business model? for example using a Maidstone or Dulwich model for promotion and success. Spend more money?" I was already sacked by this point but wanted clarification on the aims and objectives going forward, mainly so I could relay this to the fans, I felt I still could have had an input, but it was clear decisions had been made. The questions I asked were deemed an interrogation, so no positive answers. Disappointing. What was said was that the league is losing status and quality, and the club needed to get promotion as soon as possible. I felt I had achieved the objectives of integrating academy boys into the first team, changing the playing style and stabilising the club, if I knew the club wanted a manager to get promotion after two seasons I believe I could have achieved this but this was definitely not in the plans when I took the job. I asked the club if I could have the boys in one night a week from June, before pre season before my second season this wasn't allowed, I asked for three nights a week which wasn't allowed either. Not that the players would have thought much of that idea...not a great deal of support.

I know full well how difficult it is to take on a first job in management. My job was totally different, i had no players. I had no pre season friendlies and I believe the big problem is the lack of experience of non league football in general, whether playing, coaching or managing, it is imperative you have the respect from the players and knowing exactly how to handle players using a variety of styles which i know he has not had or done, I think this is partly due to his appointment being an old friend of mine and secondly due to his lack of experience. With Mark leaving i assume that has not helped the levels of respect being given. Would any player trust or have faith in a manager with no non league/professional credentials? This is not a dig just My opinion.

I know the manager this season didnt do enough to keep the players i got to the club, Smudge, Gravesy, Howard, Quarmy to name a few all of whom are capable of playing any style of play, not just the style Myself and Adam preferred. You have to keep your experienced players or if you don't want them at least sign a few different players to build YOUR own team and put your stamp on it and most importantly get the spine of the team right!!! I also know the manager didn't do his best to keep the best players at the club. Bill started the season so well and Dan was frozen out on the bench, irrespective of them being good friends, they will be sorely missed due to their ability to create and score goals. Dan being labelled as 4th choice striker and the manager failing to put up much of a fight when it came to the approach for Bill says it all. I know that money was offered pre season and then the offer adapted or retracted to more than just the four or five. For most  players it's the principle, NOT the money. Saidou was told not to come back because he refused to sign a contract for 30 odd quid a week. The boy was training with Palace for two months and now he's signed for dulwich looking to get some games, I will be helping him to find a club where he can enjoy his football again.

I appreciate there's a lot of things going wrong on the pitch down to the manager and the players but be honest if you had heard the credentials a new manager possessed what would your expectations be?! There has got to be an element of realism and expectations can't be promotion for an inexperienced manager in fact they should be the opposite. I was told to keep the club up and stabilise the first team when I took over, the remit I was told this season is promotion which is ridiculous when the team is virtually brand new and lacks the experience throughout the squad that my squad possessed last season.

I do feel for every supporter, I genuinely do and I know there will still be that support, passion, commitment and determination at the club from most of you but, without being patronising, be realistic. Before Myself and Adam came in, the first team had no direction, there was no excitement or anticipation of success and once again two seasons on the first team has no direction or excitement and anticipation is limited. The team have played everyone in the bottom half, it's worth a thought as to how last seasons squad would have done with half decent pitches at the start and the experience( a season on) of a bad 15 game run to call on when December arrives.

How is this club ever going to achieve promotion unless there is a clear blue print and model set up from within with supporters having a rough idea of the long term plan.

Tanns

Last edited by Tanns (21/10/2015 4:31 pm)

21/10/2015 5:04 pm  #2

Re: Just my opinion...no bitterness!!!

Its absolutely laughable if its true that Frank's brief was promotion in his 1st season.  Who in their right mind would think its likely that Frank could achieve that.  Or any rookie manager.

It even took the great Hayden Bird 3 seasons to get Merstham up.  And the even greater Billy Smith took 2 seasons to get promoted - and he took over a decent team.

21/10/2015 5:43 pm  #3

craig,i really like you as a person and manager i have said all along to everyone i spoke to at the club i did not like the way you was treated and the way you was dismissed,you deserved more respect than you got and i said all along you should have got at least another year,and i think you would have acheived more than where we are currently now

21/10/2015 9:13 pm  #4

Thank`s Craig for taking the time to put your thought`s on to this forum, I believe you when you say it is not stated through bitterness, you are too honest a man for that.
Unfortunately we have a chairman who, possibly with the help of some comittee members but I can not be sure, who feels qualified to select a manager to run this once proud club, well we all know where his qualifications have led us, to the mess we find ourselves in now.
If we as supporters could see that appointing Frank as manager was a serious mistake, why the hell didn`t he, we know, by his own admission, he is not a football man, so why feel qualified to make a big decision such as appointing a manager, at the end of the day the real loser`s are the supporter`s, who turn up week in week out, not just to see the team win, but to play with spirit and a purpose, instead we see exactly the opposite.
I wonder if Mr. Adkins now sit`s upstairs and realises his serious mistake`s since Billy & George were allowed to go, because that is when the demise started, until your appointment when the rot was stopped.
We know you made mistakes but this was your first appointment, and like any apprentice, because that is what you were, you would have learned from them and along with the players you, would improve.
Your second season, which of course you were denied, should have seen us fighting at least for a playoff spot, and I believe we would have, but thank`s to some very disgracefull happenings behind the scene`s, we were landed with a person with even less qualifications and experience than yourself, now if anybody can explain to me how that made sense I would like to hear it.
I would just like to finish by saying, thank you for what you gave us in your spell at the club, and to Mr. Adkins, just this, PLEASE! admit you have made some serious mistake`s regarding appointing manager`s, their is no shame in admitting you were wrong, in fact it can take a lot of courage, and then speak to people with a greater knowledge than youself before another encumbent is appointed

21/10/2015 9:31 pm  #5

Top Man Mr Tanns telling it how it is. I wish a lot of the people this football club would wake up and smell the coffee. 👍👊

21/10/2015 10:36 pm  #6

Another interesting story after speaking to Alex Kozakis this evening. He was dropped for the game last night because he made too many mistakes on Saturday and The other lad deserved a chance in goal. He was available last night despite some being told he was unavailable by management. One of the standout performers at the end of last season. If only he was found sooner.

I didn't have a chance at the end of last season to say a lot whether it be to individuals or via the forum. I hope I haven't interfered too much but what I want is for fans to know the real story behind me leaving and the current situation.

It's strange going back and reading comments from everyone posted over the last few weeks and even back to the end of last season. A big thank you to all of the support on here at the end of last season.

Couple of questions:

Now Dave M knows the story and what was said does he think any differently than he did at the end of last season?
Does Ev the Dog still have his glass half full?
Andy Mc, do you watch the same games as everyone else?

And to all those fans who wanted us to 'get it forward' quickly. I hope you have realised this season how good it was at times last season.

Just to jog some good memories to finish.
Bishops Stortford Home and Away.
Hastings Away.
Playoffs in November
LSC Winners (88min game)

Must make sure to get that added to the honours board at the club, LSC Finalists 2014/15.

Up the Terrors!!!!

Tanns

22/10/2015 5:24 am  #7

Craig, as long as I buy my season ticket my glass remains half full.  It has to or I might end up topping myself!  As I have always said, I think that you were treated poorly and should have been given more time.  Good luck to you whatever happens.  The highs are so very high but the lows are so very low.

Last edited by evthedog (22/10/2015 9:55 am)

22/10/2015 7:49 am  #8

Tanns wrote:

Now Dave M knows the story and what was said does he think any differently than he did at the end of last season?
Does Ev the Dog still have his glass half full?
Andy Mc, do you watch the same games as everyone else?

I never liked the short corner routines........is he going to start picking on me now ?

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time to enlighten us a little bit on what goes on behind the scenes Craig, very much appreciated.

22/10/2015 8:35 am  #9

BEU no one liked the free kick routines .....frustrating or what! I did buy into some (a small bit :o) of the keep possession reasoning though. 
No doubting the great memories 

22/10/2015 11:50 am  #10

firstly thanks for your very honest post giving us fans somewhat of an insight into what went on behind the scenes leading up to your in my opinion the disgraceful way you wre treated by the club,and especially the owner.we.most of us understand that as a manager you were a rookie learning your trade but at least because of time that you had in the non-league game you clearly knew players,and could get them to sign for us the football wasnt perfect but it was by ,and large entertaining,thanks for that craig,
what have we got now? a manager that is clueless,doesant know any decent players,and the players he has got dont really want to play for him.
so come on mr.adkins do the right thing,and admit you have made a huge mistake with your appointment or dont you care.remember you may own everything but most of the grant you got came on the back of the name of tooting&mitcham fc,and a lot of the fans are feeling pretty pissed off with the way you have handled things.the buck stops with you.

22/10/2015 1:07 pm  #11

As much as I would love to see Craig finish the job he started, I feel his refreshing honesty would now make him too toxic.
As we all know, honesty and information do not go hand in hand at Imperial Fields.

22/10/2015 1:14 pm  #12

You say that Al but Mr Adkins was honest enough to inform me on Tuesday that he was prepared to quadruple the playing budget provided I didn't breathe a word to anyone.

What ?

Last edited by Bog End Ultra (22/10/2015 1:16 pm)

22/10/2015 2:19 pm  #13

After the departure of Mark Hams, I watched I watched the 3 following games with some good feelings.Chipstead-very poor side but we played decent football-all that was needed to win.Hythe-very decent side-outclassed them with quality aggresive play-unluckily not the result we deserved.Hastings-a very good side with quality players and we were certainly matching them with entertaining play.I was pretty satisfied & thought this was a different style which may be the start of something better.
So what does Frank do-he drops Pinnock,Solako,Pykes & Alex.I am not the biggest fan of SolL but I must say his last performance (against Hythe) was absolutely superb.Curtis Pykes has been aggresive,playing well & driving the team forward.Michael Solako is a quickly developing quality forward and Alex is the no 1 choice in goal.Somebody said Leon could get overun in midfield-he should not be there as a ball winner-he is a quick very skilful player who can open defences & lay on quality ball for strikers.
I cannot understand why we are bringing in substandard makeshift players instead of developing what we have.Please let's forget about a front pairing of Jamie & Jake.
I know Frank is inexperienced but I believe his illogical thinking has possibly lost the current player's support.

22/10/2015 7:06 pm  #14

I have supported the club from near and far (now working and living in tithe Middle East) for getting on for 60 years. I love Tooting & Mitcham. Always have. I loved Tanns as a player and was delighted at his appointment as manager.
What has happened since is unbelievable. It's just an utter utter utter utter utter utter utter shambles. Reading Craig's post confirms this. What eejit in their right mind would appoint someone with zilch knowledge and experience of this level of football?
Endo said the other day that this is the lowest the club has been in its history. That's true. It is so, so sad to watch it's demise. It must be worse for you guys watching it played out week in week out. I just read about it here and get mega-dejected.
Something's got to happen soon as everyone is saying.
Please remember in passing that the great Billy Smith was appointed manager on the advice of some committee members, so be fair when talking about them.
For me its Adkins. Too pig headed to admit mistakes; too arrogant to have an experienced guy telling him what's to be done. Trouble is we're stuck with him.
Thanks for the post Tanns good man. And good luck.

22/10/2015 9:49 pm  #15

johna you are absolutely right adkins is too pig headed to say he has got it wrong but what does he care the money still comes rolling in,my first game was in 1954 aged 8,so what mr adkins says,well tell you what mr adkins i love my club while you dont give a stuff,so enjoy your money because  you have clearly got no empathy with the real supporters of tooting.

24/10/2015 8:07 am  #16

Could not agree with you more, this forum is meant for fans to express their opinions on all things football, not to pursue personal vendettas, some of the postings, the views expressed are downright distastefull and should be kept to themselves.

24/10/2015 8:12 pm  #17

I suggest you ask the owner that one.

26/10/2015 3:22 pm  #18

God help us I have sent you a pm

Board footera