“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/12/2016 5:30 pm  #1

T&M 0 Hastings United 4

We were well beaten by an excellent Hastings side. Other teams around us also dropped points and so we stay second in the league. But we need to get out of this slump quickly to remain in contention. A replacement for Dunn is a priority. Barrington is not the solution. And Dixon cannot play up front on his own.

17/12/2016 6:24 pm  #2

Re: T&M 0 Hastings United 4

Thought Hastings were superb. Pressed us and we didn't know what to do about it. Our midfield had no time on the ball and looked completely overrun. The best team I've seen at our place this season, and not just because of the score line.

I thought we really missed Eddie dines today. Robbo seemed out of sorts too which didn't help.

Silly but deserved red for Adriano M.

Dixon too isolated for the whole game. Their two centre backs were excellent and handled him comfortably. In the rare time he did hold it up, none of our midfielders were anywhere near him so we gave away possession quickly. Missed billy definitely. But it is what it is and we need to move on mentally, and quickly.

As much as I think we have a talented youngster in Fabio N at left back, I think he looked a little off the pace today and they targeted him somewhat with clever diagonal passes.

The only player who deserves some credit today for me was Quincey Rowe who played well and didn't give up.

17/12/2016 8:01 pm  #3

What about Danny Bassett? I think he also came out with much credit as he never stopped running, in a variety of different positions.

Now I am certainly not party to 'the great plan'.
But given that we are missing the very influential and hard working Wedgie and Dines (and Dunn of course) could it have been to try and frustrate the free scoring Hastings with just one up front and a bolstered midfield and then have a go after half time?
If so, shame that we did not make our subs at half time and start afresh with everybody knowing what the new plan was.
Just one goal down, 4 of our 5 subs, lead by the always professional Bash, warmed up diligently at half time.   The other one just sat in the dug out on his mobile phone.   
Who looked most out of touch when they came on?
Sorry, very unprofessional.

It was odd, when we were chasing the game, to see Mike Dixon on more than on occasion standing in the centre circle surrounded by 4 Hastings defenders.  Come on Mike, you can surely score from there!

Certainly the changes should have been made before that miserable third goal went in.
Still, the other leaders have helped us.  And don't forget the players we are missing.

17/12/2016 10:47 pm  #4

Hastings were the best side I've seen this season.I think from start to finish we were second best.We never got players up to support Dixon,felt very sorry for him.Hope we didn't bother with our man of the match.We never got control of midfield,so could not build.Every time we got possession the player on the ball was isolated.So easy to defend against.Would have been a good day to win with other results going our way.Back to the cup on Tuesday.Lets hope for a better performance.

18/12/2016 2:45 am  #5

Got to say that as bad as we were, I was mightily impressed by Hastings. Definitely the best team I've seen us play this season. Will be amazed if they're not in the shake up come the end of the season. I believe the Man of the Match award may be carried over. Rather worrying really as I'm a part of the adjudicating panel for the next home game against Whyteleafe on New Years Eve!!!

Some crunch games coming up over the festive period. With the top four all dropping points, its starting to tighten up at the top.

18/12/2016 12:19 pm  #6

I am going to take another positive from yesterday.

Whilst we may all look at the forthcoming fixtures to see when the top 4/5 are playing each other in the hope of dropped points the reality is that nobody is invincible (no matter how much you shell out for players!)
Lots of teams clearly fancy a go at the supposed big boys. And on their day.....

So if we can weather this period - onward and upward for the Terrors.   And if we pick up another striker....

18/12/2016 2:27 pm  #7

18/12/2016 8:36 pm  #8

True Bondy - Bassett was also good and gave his all. Very hard working player. Needs a bit more confidence though to push on. But yes, more recently operated in wide rolls, he works very hard both offensively and defensively. 

18/12/2016 8:53 pm  #9

Like others here I also felt Bassett worked very hard but felt it was at the expense of our wing play, for most of the game Hastings played a high game, but can anybody remember us exploiting that and trying to get behind them.
I wonder if the Hastings manager had seen what Guildford done when they came to our place, and realised that we struggle to break down a massed defence.
One for Frank and Paul to work on during training, and I do not believe for one minute they do not, but perhaps our players lack the belief in themselves that they are capable of doing it.
All said and done nobody is consistent, we are all dropping points unexpectedly, that is what is making the league so interesting.

19/12/2016 9:49 am  #10

On Bassett, I agree that he puts in a shift, but I just don't think he's effective out wide.  I think he's better as a central striker.  But as Dixon has earned that spot for the present, unless we play twin strikers, then I would have Bassett on the bench.

As for the Hastings game, I thought we were all at sea in midfield.  I said on my commentwittery after about half an hour that we needed to make a change.  We needed to get more bodies in that central midfield region.  If that meant sacrificing width or pushing Robinson further forward then that's what we had to do.  We were completely overrun there and I thought the management were way to slow in dealing with the problem.

And was O'Neill playing much farther forward than normal?  Perhaps trying to fill the Dunn role?  I'm not sure, but I don't think we should be trying to get someone playing like Dunn.  He had his own unique style!  I think we need to accept that we just won't have his specific goal threat, but at the same time, I would expect that we might have a bit more industry in the midfield area and maybe create more chances for other players.

Board footera