“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/9/2013 9:39 pm  #1

Tooting 2 Crawley 0

A good effort by the lads tonight.  I missed the first goal, but most of the game was fairly even and we had to battle for the full 90.  I enjoyed Pinnock chasing back and putting in a slide tackle in the 1st half.  And I also thought that Gordon showed what Tanner must see in him as he had a fine game at left back.

A great strike by Cheadle gave us the breathing space, but we still had to keep at it till the last minute as Crawley strove to break us down.

I have noticed that all our opponents so far (apart from Corinthian Casuals) are in the top half of the table.  Including the top 3.

And we're also only 4 points off the playoffs! 

11/9/2013 5:56 am  #2

Re: Tooting 2 Crawley 0

I thought that this was the most complete game that we have played in three years or so.  I thought that we were the better team in the first half capped by Ryan's goal.  We also forced the Crawley keeper to pull off three very good saves, so I thought that we were unlucky to go in at half time just one up.

Crawley came out in the second half with more purpose but the game was still evenly matched.  They really piled on the pressure in the last 20 minutes, but apary from one goalmouth scramble which forced two fine reflex saves from Paul, they did not really bother the goal.  The defence stayed solid which leads to the performance of Jordan Cheadle.

Like many I have been scratching my head as to why Jordan has not been a regular in the starting lineup.  He has been quite solid at left back but last night he joined Colin in the centre of the defence and the pair of them looked like they had been playing together for years.  Jordan looked better at centre back than left back in my view and what a goal he scored!  In him we also have someone with a formidable free kick.

We did not go to sleep in the second half and did not lose shape through the substitutions which was a massive releaf.  Both TJ and Lee fitted in well when they came on.

Now we need to establish consistancy.

11/9/2013 10:59 am  #3

I had not taken in the status of the opponents we have played so far.
We can always rely on Endo to provide that extra insight.

Appreciate why not many of the Terrors faithful were present last night with England on the box.  But we watched the more entertaining game I can assure you.

This was a really committed and high energy performance from the team who pressed Crawley really hard from the very start.   (A measure of how high we were pressing is that centre half Hartburn nicked the ball off his player about 6 yards inside their half!)
It was great to see Sawyer fit enough to partner Pinnock up front again to give us a real goal threat and plenty of movement.

The highlight for me was how well the partnerships performed.
Hartburn and Cheadle at centre back.  Wedgeworth & Gordon down the left, Moriarty & Palmer down the right and Quarm & Alimi in the middle.
A team working hard together and in harmony.

I also liked the way we kept 3 players up at most of their corners.  I’ve always been a fan of this.
Less players in the box makes it much harder to block defenders from tracking their players,  it gives more room for the keeper to come and claim the ball and also makes it much easier for the ref to see any (illegal) obstruction of the keeper – which was blown last night.

Unlike my fellow correspondents above, I really did not think Crawley offered too much last night.
OK, they became a little more energised when Smith made that cracking double save at the start of the 2nd half.  But, unlike Head on Saturday, I never felt their management adapted their play to any great effect and thought we were by far the better team.

Well done lads.  Fantastic effort for the shirt and a really good win.

11/9/2013 11:28 am  #4

A thoroughly entertaining game of football last night. Made a nice change for their goalie to be a candidate for Man of the Match. Cheadle was outstanding yet again and capped it off with a goal. Lots of good individual performances and an overall good team effort. Bravo fellas.

When everyones fit and available how about a midfield four of Quarm, Hall, Knock and Palmer ???? there's a little bit of everything in there, power, pace, passes, goals, leadership, guile, workrate....just my opinion.

13/9/2013 3:11 pm  #5

I'm a bit surprised nobody's mentioned the size of the Crawley Down number 10, he was absolutely huge.
Huge in the fat sense of the word. Quite possibly the fattest footballer I've ever seen at that level of the game. I didn't want to say too much at the time because I was stood behind two of the Bog End's more 'portly' supporters, Dave Irons and Tim Megone.

13/9/2013 4:44 pm  #6

Like you Bog End, we were saying the same in the stand, he obviously is the one who "ate all the pies"

Board footera