“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/10/2019 11:24 am  #1

Connor French

It looks like Connor French has signed for us after 9 years of being away. If he is fit this could be the striker we are looking for. He knows where the goal is and will fit into our squad with his personality. I was just talking to Jordan Cheadle who speaks very highly of him.
Welcome Back Connor!

25/10/2019 12:57 pm  #2

Re: Connor French

Was he already with a club "Gary"? as it always concerns me when a player leaves a club so early in the season and the reason why.

25/10/2019 1:26 pm  #3

He's one of those players who seems to go through 1 or 2 clubs a year.  Although I think he may have played a whole season last year for Three Bridges.  And I have a feeling he was their top scorer.

However, I do think he was one of the few players to come away from the Ken Brown era with any credit.  I remember him putting in a massive shift on his own up front in one game, even though we were 4 or 5 down at the time.

If he can keep getting into the box I think he can do a good job for us.

25/10/2019 1:34 pm  #4

Good signing in my eyes. Pretty experienced at this stage of his career. Can hold the ball up well and has good technical ability, although i suspect he is a little lacking in pace. However paired with Danny Bassett, it could work really well

I can only assume that our recent cup exploits (FA trophy, FA Cup) and some of the sale of our youngsters to pro clubs in the off season, means that we are financially in a relatively good place re this years budget (what with the acquisition of him and Simmo) and from what I can tell at this stage; without releasing anyone. 

If we can go and beat Sittingbourne tomorrow then the financial position strengthens further!

Up the toots  

25/10/2019 1:46 pm  #5

I think we have released Omari Hibbert which possibly made space available for French.

Regarding prize money, the FA Trophy is the poor relation compared to the FA Cup.  Its not peanuts, but if we want to match the £6750 we got for beating Dorking we'll have to win the quarter final to get £7500.  And that is 6 rounds away!

However, if we win the Trophy we would pocket a useful £60k. (Which is about the same as what Chichester will get if they win their next FA Cup game)

25/10/2019 3:32 pm  #6

Thanks endo, didn't realise the FA trophy money was so much lower, but, every little helps

Also hadn't realised we had released Omari, thanks for the info on both counts!

25/10/2019 3:37 pm  #7

I am disappointed for Omari. I really like him as a fella and had some nice conversations with him. He didn’t look fit for me going into pre-season and it looked liked he was working hard to change this. It is so hard for these players especially when they get a bit older juggling work, family life and football when football is not paying very much money for you to work less. Danny Summers used to say he could get in from football at midnight on a away day, go to bed at 1 am and then get up for work at 6 am when you needed more rest because you have just played. Omari for me is a talented player with a big frame who looked to be getting frustrated with himself because he could not physically do what  his brain wanted to do. Omari would always turn up for a game even if he was not included in the squad. Good luck Omari what ever you decide to do. 
As for us signing players, we have not got the budget to sign a Charlie Penny . But as I have said above if we have a fit , hungry to prove himself Connor French then other teams should fear us

Last edited by Gary Walker (25/10/2019 3:39 pm)

Board footera