“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/10/2020 7:41 pm  #1

RAY SECKER A TERRORS HERO

So sad to read Ray Secker has passed away at the age of 85. It seemed only yesterday (10/1/59) when he stood in for injured keeper Wally Pearson, for what is, and still is, the most important game in the Terrors history, when they played Notting Forest, who were considered one of the finest teams in the county, in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.  Wally Pearson fractured his jaw on Boxing day, and reserve keeper Secker played in the game instead, in front of the official attendance of14,300, but there were nearly 18,000 in the packed Sandy Lane ground. On an ice bound and skating rink of a pitch, the Terror were 2-0 at half time, with goals from Grainger and Murphy, but let the game slip, with an own goal by Murphy, and a dubious, and shocking handball decision against Murphy, with the resulting penalty levelling the game, which finished 2-2. Even Forest said “the ref had made a mistake”, and Murphy was gutted and “remarked it was no penalty.” Ray Secker played a brave game for the Terrors, and was knocked unconscious for a short while making a courageous save. A great match which lives in the memory of those who attended.  A few fans met Ray 3/4 years ago when the Terrors played at Margate near where he lived.

When the game was eventually re- played after many postponements, Wally Pearson had recovered from his injury and played in the replay at the Citi Ground where the Terrors lost 3-0 in front of a bumper crowd of 42,362.  

A couple of weeks after the game Football League referee Wanke from Coventry was sacked by the Football League. Forest went onto to win the FA Cup Final against the Hatters of Luton Town, despite being down to 10 men when winger Roy Dwight was carried off with a broken leg. Dwight scored the first goal against Tooting in the replay, and years later became the Tooting Manager.

There is an excellent book Called “And the ref was called Clough” has been written on Forests historic 1959 cup run, compiled by David McVay. A contribution was made by Chris Jackson a lifelong supporter of the Terrors, and 14 pages are devoted club to the two games. The book is a really worthwhile read.

Both games are on Pathe News:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgPwCheibHE

13/10/2020 10:37 am  #2

Re: RAY SECKER A TERRORS HERO

A few years ago when I was researching for my book, " We Woz Robbed In '59 - Tooting & Mitcham United FC's epic 1958/59 season, set to a background of social events of the time ", I had a number of enjoyable telephone conversations with Ray. I have a copy of his 2018 memoir, " In Safe Hands ", which includes a chapter on his time at T & M.
My book is still available - 113 pages, lots of old photos etc. , cover price £10-00. If interested please contact me at brooksjeff18@aol.com 

Board footera