“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/8/2022 5:26 am  #1

Sky Documentary.

I've just watched 'One Shot'  the Sky Documentary about developing young players and heavily involving TMUFC. I was instantly irritated from the start by constantly getting the club name wrong and leaving the United bit out which seems unprofessional. A minor detail, maybe, but it mattered to me.

The whole programme was quite disturbing, but demonstrated exactly why our club has been so poor in recent seasons. The almost total focus on bringing in young players, too soon, most not good enough, with the purpose of moving them on, via scouts sand agents to professional clubs, with little or no benefit to the progress of the first team was painfully evident in this programme. Using over 50 players in a season is never going to work in terms of league success, mostly untried, inexperienced hopefuls with dreams of a professional contract, somewhere. But certainly not committed to Tooting, they're just passing through.

Sky being involved at all in the club last season didn't help. It almost certainly influenced first team selection. If it was obvious a player wasn't good enough and they didn't get any game time, then Sky wouldn't have anything to show. Manager Cornilius didn't come across too well either, shouting/swearing the whole time, didn't have much constructive to say and loved the camera a bit too much. No wonder he got the sack and the other one, who was in the background most of the time, saved his job.

Look like its going to be more of the same this season, though. Thankfully no Sky cameras hanging around this time. I can't see it being any different than last year if this whole experiment doesn't come to an end soon.

11/8/2022 12:24 pm  #2

Re: Sky Documentary.

Andy you dont post very often but when you do your usually right on this occasion you are bang on the money this basically shows whats wrong with the football club in fact its not really a football club anymore
just a shop window for the agents and a revolving door of hopeful young players.

What good is this for the first team and the club generally ( ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD AT ALL ) we dont get anything out of it financially and we dont even get the benefit of of one these young players being a good one and that player hanging around for a while.
Obviously if any of them show any real potential they very quickly disappear somewhere else.
Sorry MR Adkins but your experiment as far as the advancement of Tooting & Mitcham is concerned is no good and a lot of the fans can see that it is no good.Unfortunatly you as the owner hold all the aces and we all know your particular model for the club is what you want because of all the brownie points you accrue with the council and the people you get your grants from i can only wish at some time you go and leave the club to someone who really cares about football.

11/8/2022 3:36 pm  #3

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question...I have no idea, probably thankfully, how things with agents work.

Does the Chairman benefit personally in some way if a player moves on to a pro-club? Is the agent paying a fee or percentage to the club if a young player moves to a pro club?

I'm also curious as to whether players are under a conventional contract at our level? Is there any compensation if someone moves? Obviously people move around a lot.

11/8/2022 7:30 pm  #4

Its not unusual for promising players at our level to be tied to a contract. I don't know if Tooting have any at the moment, but we have had quite a few over the years. Some will go on to pro clubs, and depending on contract details, who the player is, the buying club, etc a few may involve a transfer fee. Its a murky business and any fee would be split between selling club, agents/scouts and anyone else with their fingers in the pie. For certain, though, at Tooting, any profits will not benefit the first team.

12/8/2022 11:23 am  #5

Andy Mc - That's the saddest part of it. A first team in desperate need of investment.

14/8/2022 5:58 pm  #6

Quote on twitter 
=15pxTooting & Mitcham United. Searching for the fun in football (& knowing it’s not to be found in the Premier or ‘Champions’ League)

Or indeed in the dregs of the South Central League and Imperial Fields. The Sky documentary was really taking the pee!!!!!

Board footera