“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/10/2022 10:19 am  #1

Alan Viney

Another of the great 1958/59 team is no longer with us. Alan passed away in July of this year at the age of 88. In two spells at T & M he made 71 League appearances scoring 19 goals. He played in all the FA Cup matches in 58/59, scoring twice in the 3-1 win in the 1st. Round Proper match v Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic and once in the 2nd. Round Proper match v Northampton Town and played in both 3rd. Round Proper matches v Nottingham Forest.
There are now just three of the 58/59 FA Cup team still alive - Brian Bennett, Albert Grainger and Tony Slade.

13/10/2022 11:33 am  #2

Re: Alan Viney

Very sad news indeed jeff.I was very privaliged to see him play in that great Tooting team and shall always remember all of that great side.My sincere condolances to all the family.
RIP ALAN VINEY>

13/10/2022 12:54 pm  #3

So sad to read the demise of another great past player, who contributed a huge amount to the great 58/59 FA cup run and was one of the original” Terrors.” Similar to DC, I have very happy memories of those cup games.  Alan was an inside forward in the Tony Slade mould, together they provided the engine room of the team. I would also like to send my condolences to his family, and for all the excitement and pleasure Alan provided at his time with club.
Jeff B, thank you in   your efforts for providing information on these past great players. Are Brian Bennett and Albert Grainger still the only players who survive today?

14/10/2022 9:23 am  #4

Never saw him play. But from this clip it seems he had a decent left foot despite being an inside right!https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxkfKvBamhgvnTXJ1A2ALC3sKEG1ayunKz

Board footera