“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27/11/2022 2:33 pm  #1

An Open letter from the supporters club to the members club

To the Directors of the Tooting and Mitcham Members Club.
It is with a very heavy heart I find myself writing this open letter to The Members Club as I know how
much hard work and effort, they put in to help raise funds, sponsorship and of course the many
volunteers they supply who help out on match days. I am hoping that the stake they have at TMUFC
means that they are able to have constructive dialog the owner and people who run the set up at
the club. At the time of writing this letter the club are now firmly in the relegation places at the
bottom of the league table and have been knocked out of all of the various cups and trophies.

At the start of the season. The meet the manager evening highlighted a number of concerns from
both the team and the fans in attendance but it looks as if nothing has really changed and in truth, if
anything the club has since gone backwards since then.
As I’m sure everyone is aware that on the pitch, things are not going well. Home form in particular is
not good and there are rumbling voices in the stands and on the terraces at both home and away
fixtures.

A large number of our regular support has stopped coming to games. Many of these are long term
Tooting and Mitcham United fans who have followed the club for decades who watched from the
stands and terraces of Sandy Lane. This is not due to any coordinated boycott from fans or any
hidden agenda from any groups, this is simply that many supporters are feeling less and less
involved with the club and feel the club has lost its way. Many of the people I meet and spoke with
when I first started coming to games, people who welcomed me into the Terrors Family are no
longer seen at any of our fixtures.

We have spoken to other fans at games and socially who have also said that unless there is a rapid
change in fortune, they will also stop coming to matches. This affects both of us, the supporters club
as well as the members club. It has a knock-on effect on money coming in on match days either
through the bar and shop etc. Also, Golden Goals, 50/50 and programme sales. While fully
understanding that the loss of revenue over the last three years / seasons due to Covid and this
would have had a huge effect on the club’s budget. I doubt if anyone at the club would want to lose
any more income.

We are aware and have witnessed a couple of heated discussions between playing staff and
members of the coaching staff with each other and some supporters. Football is a very passionate
sport and things are often said which with hindsight should have remained unsaid. However,
supporters are intitled to raise concerns in the correct way. I think all of us who attend games have
an opinion on how best to do things and run the team, but I doubt if many have had to run a football
club or understand the pressures of being in charge. But nevertheless. The Supporters Club are
asking for assurances that the Members Club are in discussions with both the owner and playing
staff in regard to the situation the club / team now finds itself. I have no doubt that this may lead to
some awkward conversations and meetings, but it is better to sort this out now while there is still
plenty of time to change things around and to move forward.

Yours
Steve Harrold (writing on behalf of the committee of the Tooting and Mitcham Football Supporters
Club).

Last edited by Bogend Ant (27/11/2022 2:34 pm)

27/11/2022 3:13 pm  #2

Re: An Open letter from the supporters club to the members club

Well done Steve and Ant for putting this letter on the forum there are lots of supporters who are in the dark as to some of the things going on at our club.
You have been very carefull in the wording of your letter Steve and that is to your credit i know you have to put these things over correctly.

Your letter gets to the heart of things very well im not sure the members club realise the how a lot of the supporters feel about the situation right now something as you say needs to change and change pretty damn soon otherwise this once great non league club will be lost forever.

27/11/2022 5:48 pm  #3

Succinctly put Steve, though I doubt that the Members Club has any clout with the owner.

I miss seeing you and Ant and hope that you are both fit and healthy.

27/11/2022 6:29 pm  #4

I was told that apparently certain people didnt think that this letter should have gone on the forum for general perusal and i think that is one of the problems with the club seemingly thinking that supporters dont need to know whats going on like its all a bloody secret and that is part of the problem with the club i.e no communication.

27/11/2022 10:04 pm  #5

It is an "Open" letter, and is for everyone to see. It is up to the Members club to respond or not, and may wish to do so in an open and transparrent manor, or direct to Steve personally. They cannot dictate who views an open letter.

It is of course their prerogetive to not respond should they wish to remain quiet, but by saying nothing they may well come across as complicit in the issues raised by Steve.

Hopefully the powers that be will see sense, and provide an open and honest response, so that we can all move forward for the good of the club.

28/11/2022 8:09 am  #6

Excellent post ! A response is sorely needed ! Over 25000 views on the relegation creeping nearer post from last February indicates to how important and cherished this club is to so many, but perhaps not so much to the powers at be !

28/11/2022 8:51 am  #7

If that doesn't hit the spot then unfortunately nothing will!

29/11/2022 5:10 pm  #8

Here is the reply from the members club...

T&M Utd FC Supporters Club Committee
FAO Steve Harrold
Dear all
Thank you for the letter that was hand delivered on Saturday. The
points you make throughout are well made and your anxieties are
shared also by us. We can assure you that there is complete
agreement, without exception, across all parts of T&M with the current
worrying situation of the 1st team.
We can give you the assurances for which you have asked, that the
MC is regularly in discussions with the main board and also at the
operational level. Processes had already been put in place and are on
going, to identify the remedies needed to turn around the current
situation. We can also say that there is a commitment to avoid
relegation both for the sake of the fans, the community project and the
business.
We will keep in touch
Sincerely
T&M Members Club

29/11/2022 5:52 pm  #9

It's great that the Members Club responded so quickly, and that they agree with the points raised by Steve.

Let's hope things start to change for the better in the very near future.

29/11/2022 8:02 pm  #10

One thing the members clubs response didnt mention and im not sure how many people realise is that if we were to be relegated to the combined counties league they do not allow clubs to have academies which would certainly throw a spanner in  the works of the clubs community project and the business

29/11/2022 8:03 pm  #11

What s load of vacuous guff from the Members Club.

30/11/2022 10:05 am  #12

Ev,
Couldn't agree more with your comment, they must think we all mugs!!!!!!!!

30/11/2022 11:55 am  #13

Well Mike, I think that one thing that the whole club, except the owner and the Members Club, would agree on is a change of manager.

30/11/2022 12:31 pm  #14

And a change of Coach!

30/11/2022 12:53 pm  #15

Bogend Ant wrote:

Here is the reply from the members club... We can also say that there is a commitment to avoid
relegation both for the sake of the fans, the community project and the
business.
We will keep in touch
Sincerely
T&M Members Club

And as usual, no mention of the first team: the community project obviously trumps it.

01/12/2022 6:47 pm  #16

That is the sort of response I would expect from the club. It means nothing. Unless we see meaningful change soon, then it will mean that the club is intent on ignoring the concerns of the fans and will continue on the path it has been on this last few years.
Changing the manager is unlikely to achieve anything on its own, the coaching staff can go as well, and most importantly, a rethink on the youth system which has done so much damage to the fortunes of the first team.
I'm not holding my breath that anything will happen. It depends on Mr Adkins having a complete change of opinion on his business model. Very unlikely.

02/12/2022 1:26 pm  #17

Andy spot on as usual i agree i cant see anything happening unless as you say Adkins does a complete somersault and as you say very unlikely.

02/12/2022 6:39 pm  #18

Surely enough is enough and the whole management setup and the ethos of the youth policy needs to change NOW !!!
The club are entrenched in the two relegation places now and looking at the forthcoming fixtures I can only see a further downward spiral into oblivion.
Part of me wishes that I was still on the board of the 'members club' in order to try to effect sort of change but on the other hand I'm very glad that I no longer am, and I feel extremely sorry for the likes of Keith and Lynn who have done nothing but good for the club for decades but are now getting slapped in the face for their efforts.
CHANGE NOW !!@

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

Board footera