“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/11/2023 11:55 am  #1

Sam Folarin

Nice to see ex Terror score two goals this weekend for Harrogate (watch on iPlayer)

09/11/2023 7:31 pm  #2

Re: Sam Folarin

That will have pleased Mike Smith the ex-Terrors die hard supporter who moved up to Harrogate and last I heard was following Harrogate with almost as much devotion. Nice guy old Mike, big buddies with Tim Megone. Not your usual type of Tooting fan in that he was well spoken and I don't ever recall hearing him swear. 
Anyone else remember him ?

10/11/2023 10:44 am  #3

I remember Mike. He used to cycle from Banstead to Sandy Lane for home matches. If my memory serves
me right, he was nicknamed Yash - presumably after the Russian goalkeeper, Lev Yashin.

19/11/2023 7:33 pm  #4

jeffb wrote:

If my memory serves
me right, he was nicknamed Yash - presumably after the Russian goalkeeper, Lev Yashin.

Spot on Jeff. The story goes that he was stood behind the goal when a wayward shot fizzed in his direction only for Mike to pluck the ball cleanly from the air in the style of the aforementioned black-clad Ruski shot-stopper. He was immediately dubbed 'Yash' by the World's favourite football historian Ian Bullock. I got this straight from the horse's mouth.

A not dissimilar thing happened to me about 6 or 7 years ago. I was stood up the Bishopsford Road end when an Ashley Robinson thunderbolt hit me smack in the knackers. I think that's the reason why lots of people call me 'Numb Nuts' at least I hope it is 

Board footera