“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24/3/2014 12:38 pm  #1

Has this been a dreary season?

Not just the fact that we have been in mid table for most of the season, but look at the rest of the league.  Peacehaven have been clear at the top for a couple of months now, and the 4 playoff spots seem to have been sealed for a long time now.  Eastbourne are odds on to finish bottom, so the only real interest this season is who might fill the repreival relegation spots.

24/3/2014 1:57 pm  #2

Re: Has this been a dreary season?

I really can not believe you are serious. We have witnessed some of the best football in years, played by a team with the ability to battle and not just roll over, we have witnessed opposing teams who like ourselves want to play, and not just kick lumps out of the opposition. When we started this season I do not think I know any one who would not have settled for a mid table finish, especially when you look at what Craig and the management team started with. "DREARY" you must have been following a different team to me and many like me. So keep up the good work lads, and all things remaining equal at least we can look forward to another positive season.

24/3/2014 5:12 pm  #3

Whilst Endo is more than capable of answering for himself, I don't believe he is suggesting that our performances have been dreary Alan.
I think it is the division as a whole that has been lack lustre.

Not sure if I agree with him or not. But I don't think I do.
Although I find it very strange the top teams can't simply go on and finish it I quite enjoy the 'anyone can beat anyone' feeling.
Endo mentioned Eastbourne.
On Saturday they defeated top 5 team Hastings 3-2 keeping, Frankie down to just one goal.
2nd place Leatherhead lost at home to mid table Hythe last week.  I could go on.

Our footie has been absolutely splendid fun!

24/3/2014 6:34 pm  #4

I hope you are right Bondy, as I can not believe that any one who has been watching the games this season can not fail to be impressed. I have just been going over the season so far and in my opinion, at least half have been extremely entertaining, and not just the games we won, and well worth the season ticket cost, you have to go back to the times of Billy and George before you could say that again. Assuming all goes well with the negotiations between the powers that be and Craig and his management team, for me personally it will be a long summer and I will be starting next season with a greater degree of optimsm, than at the start of this. 

25/3/2014 10:12 am  #5

I have found a lot of our games exciting and entertaining at times.  I think its just the fact that we haven't been playing for anything since our last cup exit.  So I don't think I've felt much tension at a lot of games regardless of how well we've been playing.

As for the rest of the division, I admit I haven't taken too much notice of it as we haven't been involved at either of the business ends.  But it looks like all the key spots are sewn up.

But would I have taken 11th at the start of the season?  Definiitely.  A new manager in his first job, a virtually new team and a lowish budget - I think we've done well.

And I suppose I'd be happy with something similar next season if I could also see signs of continuity and perhaps a bit of progress from the likes of Nkoma and Simpson.

Oh yes, and a cup run. 

25/3/2014 10:21 am  #6

For the extra dosh if nothing else eh Endo.  Even a few rounds of the FA Cup would bring very welcome riches.  And getting a settled squad together much earlier can only help that cause.

25/3/2014 10:43 am  #7

I'd take a trip to the final of the London Senior Cup!  Its not about the money - its about the GLORY!

25/3/2014 2:45 pm  #8

I second that, nothing is more exciting than a good cup run, in whatever cup that might be, the feeling of anticipation is not quite the same as most league games. Hopefully all our wishes can be fullfilled, next season!

Board footera