“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24/4/2014 2:02 pm  #1

All time Tooting & Mitcham United XI

At work earlier there was a (quite heated) debate as to which players would make an all time England XI and it got me thinking as to who would make an all time Tooting & Mitcham Utd XI?

My support for Tooting goes back to the late 80's but I know there are alot of fans who have followed the Stripes for alot longer than that so would be interested in who would make your all time Tooting XI from players that have graced Sandy Lane and Imperial Fields over the years.

25/4/2014 8:29 am  #2

Re: All time Tooting & Mitcham United XI

Here's my favourite Terrors XI, not my BEST but my favourite......

Darren Bechet

Danny Wood                   Danny Godwin                          Ralph Cowan                    Billy Smith

Lee Hall                                     Neil Norman                                Micky Stephens

Nigel Webb                                    Dave Juneman                          Mark Tompkins

Subs:- Dave Cobb, Steve Grubb, David Gabriel, Alan Ives, Dave Taylor(the centre-back not the goalie) and Harvey Cheadle (if only to keep the manager company).

Thanks a million for the meanderings 59er, back in the early 70's I was the scorer for Mitcham Cricket Club and we used to play against Wandgas in a limited over competition called the Decca Cup where the final was held at The Oval every year. Mitcham were an incredibly strong side in those days but I was always surprised at how good a fight Wandgas used to put up against far superior opposition. Happy days.

25/4/2014 2:51 pm  #3

Included in the handbook I wrote some years ago there was a profile of Frank Jannaway who sadly passed away last year. Frank named his all star T&M team as:-
Alex Stepney,
John Harlow, John Robertson, Brian Bennett, Martin Lewis
Albert Grainger, Ronnie Howell, Ted Murphy, Denzil Flanagan,
Paddy Hasty and Alan Ives
I wouldn't disagree with this selection but would prefer Bobby Green at left back.
All great players.

25/4/2014 3:20 pm  #4

I know all our best ever players tend to come from 1958 and 1976 but who else thinks that Paul Vines should get a mention when talking about all-time XIs?

25/4/2014 7:10 pm  #5

Paul was a great guy and a fine centre forward but not in the same class as Paddy who played in the 1960 GB Olympics team and Alan who was an English international.

26/4/2014 9:56 am  #6

Paul could be very lazy if things were not going his way allowing his head to drop. I would rather, from the more rectent crop of forwards, pick John Hastings.  A good allround player and prolific goal scorer.

I am surprised that no one has picked Craig Tanner at left back or Michail Antonio on the wing. 

Board footera